Gwyneth Paltrow: The British are more intelligent and civilised than Yanks


Blackleaf
#1
US actress Gwyneth Paltrow prefers British dinner talk

Sat Dec 2



Gwyneth Paltrow, who is married to an Englishman (Chris Martin, singer of rock band Coldplay) and has an English daughter says she likes the British lifestyle much more than the American





LISBON (AFP) - Oscar-winning US actress Gwyneth Paltrow feels dinner talk is far more interesting in her adopted homeland Britain than back in her native country.

"I love the English lifestyle, it's not as capitalistic as America. People don't talk about work and money, they talk about interesting things at dinner," she told "NS", the weekend magazine supplement of daily Portuguese newspaper Diario de Noticias on Saturday.

"I like living here because I don't fit into the bad side of American psychology. The British are much more intelligent and civilized than the Americans," the 34-year-old added.

Paltrow, who won a best actress Oscar for 1998's "Shakespeare in Love," lives in London with British band Coldplay's frontman Chris Martin whom she wed in 2003.

She said having US pop star Madonna, 48, who married British film director Guy Ritchie six years ago, nearby was another advantage to living in London.

"She's like an older sister. Everything I have gone through, she went through ten times worse and ten times longer. She gives me good advice about how to say no and take care of myself," said Paltrow.

news.yahoo.com
-------------------

Like Madonna, who has been living in Britain for years and has a British family, Gwyneth Paltrow is now more British than American.
 
Renée
#2
I think it's fabulous that she's so in love w/being a Brit. But I don't see why she has to denigrate America in order to play up how much she enjoys England. It's called diplomacy.
 
Toro
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

Like Madonna, who has been living in Britain for years and has a British family, Gwyneth Paltrow is now more British than American.


Thank God.

You can have our drudgery.
 
Curiosity
#4
That's a Hoot ....

Like Paltrow can be a judge of intellect over dinner, in the stores, or in the bed.
 
tracy
#5
Well if someone like Gwyneth Paltrow said it, it must be true....
 
thomaska
#6
Ah, I hear she also likes pepsi better than coke...just as important...

Has she developed the snooty fake accent like madonna has yet?
 
Sassylassie
#7
Well I'd take her seriously if she could learn to button her shirt up correctly or is that properly?
 
tamarin
#8
Well, if she's hanging around with megapervert Madonna, who knows what's stringing the noodles together inside her head. Paltrow is a bore and that is inexcusable. Pretty faces are a dime a dozen. Anyone who follows the news knows that Britain is in a total moral tailspin. It can't help when ****s like Paltrow invest their time there.
 
thomaska
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

US actress Gwyneth Paltrow prefers British dinner talk

Sat Dec 2



Gwyneth Paltrow, who is married to an Englishman (Chris Martin, singer of rock band Coldplay) and has an English daughter says she likes the British lifestyle much more than the American





LISBON (AFP) - Oscar-winning US actress Gwyneth Paltrow feels dinner talk is far more interesting in her adopted homeland Britain than back in her native country.

"I love the English lifestyle, it's not as capitalistic as America. People don't talk about work and money, they talk about interesting things at dinner," she told "NS", the weekend magazine supplement of daily Portuguese newspaper Diario de Noticias on Saturday.

"I like living here because I don't fit into the bad side of American psychology. The British are much more intelligent and civilized than the Americans," the 34-year-old added.

Paltrow, who won a best actress Oscar for 1998's "Shakespeare in Love," lives in London with British band Coldplay's frontman Chris Martin whom she wed in 2003.

She said having US pop star Madonna, 48, who married British film director Guy Ritchie six years ago, nearby was another advantage to living in London.

"She's like an older sister. Everything I have gone through, she went through ten times worse and ten times longer. She gives me good advice about how to say no and take care of myself," said Paltrow.

news.yahoo.com
-------------------

Like Madonna, who has been living in Britain for years and has a British family, Gwyneth Paltrow is now more British than American.

In the end, I suppose it doesn't matter whether the Portuguese paper filched the Guardian's quotes or whether Paltrow just goes jet-setting around the world rehashing her same old bigoted talking points. It's a useful reminder of what a shallow ingrate the average Hollywood expatriate is. Without all that filthy American money, Gwynnie would still be stuck here in the States known as that miserable blonde girl with a New York mansion who used to be engaged to Brad Pitt--instead of that smug blonde girl with a London mansion married to a moonbat who makes a living trashing the capitalistic society that puts food in their children's mouths.

-Michelle Malkin

You guys can have the paltry(ow) bitch...
 
Blackleaf
#10
Gywneth's 'Brits are more civilised' comment angers the folks back home

4th December 2006






Once she complained about the British weather. Another time she complained about British men.

But it seems American actress Gwyneth Paltrow is finally warming to life in London.

She says dinner party chat here is far more interesting, intelligent and civilised than back at home.

It's a declaration that has gone down rather badly in America. The 34-year-old Oscar winner, who has lived in London since marrying Coldplay frontman Chris Martin three years ago, said: 'I love the English lifestyle, it's not as capitalistic as America.

'People don’t talk about work and money, they talk about interesting things at dinner.

'I like living here because I don't fit into the bad side of American psychology. The British are much more intelligent and civilised than the Americans.
'
Last night, as her comments were reported in her homeland, Americans called chat shows and radio phone-ins to express their anger at her 'betrayal'.

'If she feels that way we are far better off without her,' said one commentator. A disgruntled caller added: 'She sounds like she thinks she’s better than us.

'We are better off if she stays across the Atlantic. We don't need her here.'

Miss Paltrow, who once complained at length about the British weather, was speaking to NS, the weekend magazine supplement of daily Portuguese newspaper Diario de Noticias.

She said having another American – Madonna – living in London had been a great help to her. 'She's like an older sister,' said Miss Paltrow.

'Everything I have gone through, she went through ten times worse and ten times longer. She gives me good advice about how to say no and take care of myself.'

Although Miss Paltrow did not specify what she was saying 'no' to, it is known she favours a strict macrobiotic diet.

It means a large proportion of her diet is made up of wholegrains, vegetables and fish, and she is not allowed to consume meat, dairy products, processed foods, alcohol or caffeine.

Miss Paltrow, who was born in Los Angeles, once found fault with British men, but a year later, married Chris Martin.

And two years ago she told the U.S. edition of Marie Claire that the streets of London were dirty, customer service was ‘just rubbish’ and the weather was 'cold and depressing'.

Despite this, Miss Paltrow and her husband have settled in North London with their daughter Apple, two, and son Moses, eight months. She will be pleased to know that not everyone in America was displeased with her latest comments.

A British expatriate rang in to one programme to say: 'Quite frankly, she’s only stating the obvious, as anyone who has spent a long time in the United States can testify.'

dailymail.co.uk
------------------

It doesn't say much about North American men.
 
Daz_Hockey
#11
This coming from a woman who names her kids "Apple"?...what kind of cracked out hyppie does that then?....I've spent oodles of time in the states and had facinating conversations with people from loads of different states. I would certainly say a lot of them were more "quirky" than the dross conversations I hve with fellow English people.

She does talk some rubbish, seriously.
 
Curiosity
#12
The Brits are far too close to the snobs in France....
 
Daz_Hockey
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by CuriosityView Post

The Brits are far too close to the snobs in France....

Let's face it, she's not talking about the "British", it's just the fact that she is an American after all, and they do have that tendancy to group all the encompassing countries into one. She's not talking about the Scottish, or the Northern Irish or in fact the Welsh....nope, she's talking about the English.

And as an Englishman myself, I can certainly say we are far too near France for sure. I don't know what it is that stops you guys and gals from calling us "English" if we in any way sound like James Bond and not like Groundsman Willy from the Simpson's, surely it's not that hard to tell the difference?, I mean, you can tell an Irish accent right?, would you call them "British"?. I suggest you wouldnt.

But to be honest yep, I'm gonna own up to this one, she really thinks "the English are more intelligent and civilised than Yanks" which is ironic if you think about it because although she's lived here a while, been knocked up (put in the club, preggers, one-in-the-oven, in the family way, doined) by an Englishman (although I would never own up to a spuds fan like him being English phah!!!), but still doesnt know better than to generalise English people as "British"?

NOW THAT IS IRONIC LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!!!
 
I think not
#14
Daz

Referring to the English as British is not a slur. It is analagous to lumping all Americans as Yanks, the Southerners still call us that up North.
 
Daz_Hockey
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by I think notView Post

Daz

Referring to the English as British is not a slur. It is analagous to lumping all Americans as Yanks, the Southerners still call us that up North.

Depends who you speak to. At this moment, with English and Scottish nationalism running quite high, I would dare to suggest it is.
 
I think not
#16
Let me rephrase.

When an outsider, calls everyone a Brit (not knowing the domestic happenings), it is not a slur.

Get it?
 
Daz_Hockey
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by I think notView Post

Let me rephrase.

When an outsider, calls everyone a Brit (not knowing the domestic happenings), it is not a slur.

Get it?


Did my evidence of old Paltrow's "Residency" escape your attention?, I would have thought carrying the sprog of a limey would have suggested she was more than an "outsider"...this was my point.
 
I think not
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by Daz_HockeyView Post

Did my evidence of old Paltrow's "Residency" escape your attention?, I would have thought carrying the sprog of a limey would have suggested she was more than an "outsider"...this was my point.

I'm not talking about that frigid bitch. I'm talking in general terms.

And WTF do you think that dumb blonde knows about the UK other than getting poked by a Brit?
 
Daz_Hockey
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by I think notView Post

I'm not talking about that frigid bitch. I'm talking in general terms.

And WTF do you think that dumb blonde knows about the UK other than getting poked by a Brit?

Ahem- a "Spud" is what I'd call the "Brit" in question, the dirty spurs fan.....sorry, what I mean is, I'm part of the EU but you wouldnt automatically call me "European" now would you?...and if you would....I think we should step outside lol.
 
I think not
#20
Actually no, I wouldn't call you a European. I have spent several years in Europe. Britons are not Europeans.
 
I think not
#21
Ya, that's a compliment.
 
Daz_Hockey
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by I think notView Post

Ya, that's a compliment.

Just dont tell those middle-of-the-road socialists were not European...you cant please everyone!!!
 

Similar Threads

0
Two Yanks, two matches but worlds apart
by Blackleaf | Dec 23rd, 2006
37
It's not the Yanks who are Dumb
by I think not | May 2nd, 2006
47
Go home Yanks, says PM in waiting
by Paranoid Dot Calm | Feb 3rd, 2005
10
Disillusioned Yanks eye NZ
by moghrabi | Nov 10th, 2004
2
For Yanks moving to Canada, eh?
by Andem | Nov 7th, 2004
no new posts