It's all "gone wrong" for Depeche Mode's Dave Gahan

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
As Depeche Mode release their "Best Of" album.....

It's all gong wrong for Dave

November 18, 2006

Depeche Mode's new album "Depeche Mode, The Best Of, Vol 1"

The British synthesizer band are still very popular in Europe and the United States but think their own countrymen aren't as keen

DEPECHE MODE frontman DAVE GAHAN says it upsets him that the band don’t win awards — despite selling 50million albums.

The Essex-born singer is fresh from Depeche’s sell-out Touring The Angel world tour with bandmates MARTIN GORE and ANDREW FLETCHER and the lads are as big as ever in the US.

But over here, Dave reckons, they rarely get credit for their 25-year career.

He says: “I don’t get it. We’re a band that has come out of England, lasted and done well. But no one seems to notice and it does hurt.

“It’s a struggle here to get recognition for what we’ve achieved.

“We’re that oddball band that people don’t know how to categorise. We don’t fit the rock category and are not pop.”

I think it’s a scandal Depeche have not been honoured with a Lifetime Achievement Award by Brits bosses.

When you think the SPICE GIRLS bagged one despite splitting after three albums, it makes a mockery of the system.

Depeche’s Best Of album hit shops this week and Dave reckons that they are unlikely to record any new material for five years [[how old will they be then?]].

So I think Brits bosses should take note — the band deserve credit for flying the flag for Britain around the world.

Surely that is worthy of a Lifetime Achievement gong?

thesun.co.uk
***********************************************************************************************

Depeche Mode follow 25 incredibly successful years of sublime, superlative electronic music with their first ever 'Best Of' collection released on Mute on November 13th. Brimming with 17 hit singles that span their incredible and varied career, this eagerly anticipated album also contains the brand new track "Martyr" ( released as a single late October ) which pulses with their relentlessly energetic sound and it sits immaculately amongst their luminous history. This inspired collection of classic Depeche songs features their most definitive work to date - including the hits "Just Can't Get Enough", "Everything Counts", "Personal Jesus", "Enjoy The Silence" and "Precious". All tracks are taken from 11 of the band's studio albums released between 1981 and 2006.

This Special Edition 2 disc set includes a Bonus companion 'Best Of' DVD featuring videos for 23 classic tracks that span their acclaimed and varied career. Created by some of the most cutting-edge and superlative directors - including their longtime collaborator Anton Corbijn, who has been professionally associated with the band for over a decade - this DVD Best Of also features work by Clive Richardson, Stephane Sednaoui, Peter Care, Brian Griffin, John Hillcoat and Uwe Flade.

Often eschewing traditional glamour with progressive treatments, each impressive video captures the dynamic vision and unrelenting energy of Depeche Mode. The DVD compilation is sourced from 11 of the band's studio albums, released between 1981 and 2006, including "Playing The Angel" and two of its recent hit singles - "Precious" and "Suffer Well".
Format

CD+DVD
Tracklisting

Disc 1 ( CD ) :-
01. Personal Jesus ( "Violator", 1990 )
02. Just Can't Get Enough ( "Speak And Spell", 1981 )
03. Everything Counts ( "Construction Time Again", 1983 )
04. Enjoy The Silence ( "Violator", 1990 )
05. Shake The Disease ( "The Singles 81-85", 1985 )
06. See You ( "A Broken Frame", 1982 )
07. It's No Good ( "Ultra", 1997)
08. Strangelove ( "Music For The Masses", 1987 )
09. Suffer Well ( "Playing The Angel", 2005 )
10. Dream On ( "Exciter", 2001 )
11. People Are People ( "Some Great Reward", 1984 )
12. Martyr ( "Best Of", 2006 )
13. Walking In My Shoes ( "Songs Of Faith and Devotion", 1993 )
14. I Feel You ( "Songs Of Faith And Devotion", 1993 )
15. Precious ( "Playing The Angel", 2005 )
16. Master And Servant ( "Some Great Reward", 1984 )
17. New Life ( "Speak And Spell", 1981 )
18. Never Let Me Down Again ( "Music For The Masses", 1987 )

Disc 2 ( DVD ) :-
01. Just Can't Get Enough ( Directed by Clive Richardson )
02. See You
03. Everything Counts ( Directed by Clive Richardson )
04. People Are People ( Directed by Clive Richardson )
05. Master & Servant ( Directed by Clive Richardson )
06. Shake The Disease ( Directed by Peter Care )
07. Stripped ( Directed by Peter Care )
08. A Question Of Time ( Directed by Anton Corbijn )
09. Strangelove ( 1987 Version ) ( Directed by Anton Corbijn )
10. Never Let Me Down Again ( Directed by Anton Corbijn )
11. Behind The Wheel ( Directed by Anton Corbijn )
12. Personal Jesus ( Directed by Anton Corbijn )
13. Enjoy The Silence ( Directed by Anton Corbijn )
14. I Feel You ( Directed by Anton Corbijn )
15. Walking In My Shoes ( Directed by Anton Corbijn )
16. In Your Room ( Directed by Anton Corbijn )
17. Barrel Of A Gun ( Directed by Anton Corbijn )
18. It's No Good ( Directed by Anton Corbijn )
19. Only When I Lose Myself ( Directed by Brian Griffin )
20. Dream On ( Directed by Stephane Sednaoui )
21. I Feel Loved ( Directed by John Hillcoat )
22. Enjoy The Silence 04 ( Directed by Uwe Flade )
23. Precious ( Directed by Uwe Flade )
24. Suffer Well ( Directed by Anton Corbijn )

musicnonstop.co.uk