The Summer Concert Series

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
A number of skilled Canadian performers will be presenting five free concerts during the month of July to the people of Canada at Rideau Hall, for The Governor General's Summer Concert Series. These concerts are hosted by Rideau Hall with the co-operation of Ottawa Citizen and Le Droit.

This Saturday, at four o'clock, The National Youth Orchestra of Canada will launch the Series—this skilled youth orchestra was the origin for many talented professional musicians. The second concert (on Sunday, also at four o'clock) features the Band of the Ceremonial Guard (one of the oldest and most celebrated military bands in Canada). The next weekend features performances by the National Arts Centre Orchestra, and Quartango (with the co-operation of the Ottawa Chamber Music Festival), and the final weekend will feature The Gryphon Trio.

While I won't have the opportunity to go to Ottawa simply to see these concerts (oh! how I wish I could, though), I am delighted to see such a concentration of true Canadian performers and talents being displayed so prominently. While perhaps the funds going toward things like this don't enact any sort of policy changes, or amount to tax decreases or new construction projects, I would argue that such cultural contributions are just as important—if not moreso—than the foregoing.

I hope that the media broadcasts, or at least records and defers, some of the music!

:?: Sources
1. Click here for the Web site of the Governor General of Canada.