"Primarktic" Monkeys

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The Primarktic Monkeys

"I said I bet that you look good.....at the snooker table"

WITH all that chart success, you’d think ARCTIC MONKEYS frontman ALEX TURNER would be shopping in Harrods.

But I can reveal the humble singer is snubbing designer stores — and instead splashing out in his local Primark.

The lads’ rise to fame has been meteoric, so perhaps it’s no surprise they are sticking to their old shopping habits.

I hear that an old school pal saw Alex in Sheffield gathering up Primark polo shirts and T-shirts from the rails at the bargain store.

A source said: “The old mate couldn’t believe Alex was picking out cheap clothes so he went up and asked him what he was doing in Primark with all his money.

“Alex spat back, ‘What money? You probably earn more than me!’ ” He was with a girl called Lindsey, thought to be his girlfriend.

Details are sketchy because Alex is obsessively private but I gather she works in the music industry in London.

And he could have good reason to be wary with his wallet.

Although The Monkeys album Whatever People Say I Am That’s What I’m Not was the fastest-selling debut of all time — shifting 360,000 in its first week — it doesn’t mean the boys have been paid yet.

It can take years for royalty money to filter through.

In the meantime, bands often have to survive on a small allowance from their management.

The Monkeys played a storming set at T In The Park near Kinross in Scotland. It was their last live date before playing New Zealand and Australia at the end of the month.

The next Monkey magic heading our way is the single, Leave Before The Lights Come On, out August 14.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Andy: Can I come back?

BEFORE they go overseas, the Monkeys are heading home to Sheffield for crunch talks with departed bassist ANDY NICHOLSON.

He quit the band last month during their US tour blaming exhaustion.

NICK O’MALLEY replaced him – but now Andy wants to meet Alex on home turf to ask to rejoin.

My source said: “There had been tension in the band from being cooped up on the road for months. Andy had a falling out with Alex and left.

“But he has missed being part of the band he founded and wants to reclaim his place back before they record their second album.”

thesun.co.uk

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
Primark is quality as well, it's actually very fashionable at very cheap prices...it's increadibly popular with us studenty-types cus of the cheaponess and invouge fashion sense of it/

Didn't the Rainman shop in KMarts too? :p

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
Although I get the feeling after "bowling for columbine" it lost a few customers too.

I heard Raymond Babbet (rain man) liked their underwear though lol

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
I miss ours. it was a black day when KMart left Canada :( Woolworths/Woolco took over their locations for awhile and then WalMart came in and replaced them. What was our little KMart is now our Zellers & that's where I do most of my shopping.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
you've got a Woolies there too?...is there a place Woolworth's doesnt go?...decent Cadbury chocolate, Woolworths, and you say Canada aint much like the UK? hehehe it's all there.

I do like the idea of your "Beer store's" though, must be queues of drinks outside thoughs shops all the time

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Sorry, but you've misunderstood me..we used to have Woolworth's[snif!snif!] & WalMart bought them out. Here, they closed one store completely and ran the one out East for a while before closing that one out and built a huge store further out by our racecourse. We can still get many decent English products at our City Market and at some speciality shops at the Brunswick Mall. In my City, the only way to buy beer is at the Liquor Control Board stores, while more progressive provinces allow you to buy it at a beer store or at your local grocery.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
Shocking, Woolies over here control a different market than Walmart (ASDA) here, infact since TESCO is soo HUGE here Walmrt hasnt had much of a look in, Mark's & Spencer seem to be picking up so I wouldnt be suprised if you get one of their store's again.

But I suppose the reason I liked the beerstore was the idea of having to go to one type of store to buy beer, I mean, you can virtually buy it anywhere here.

Ed. sorry just a few here's

I still cant find Dos Equis anywhere