Movie's record costs

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Movie's record costs

IT has taken steely resolve but finally Superman Returns is nearing the screen. But at what cost?
The revisioned Superman tale, filming at Sydney's Fox Studios, could well be the most expensive film of all time.

Variety reported its director Bryan Singer acknowledged its budget is approaching $326 million - that would top Titanic's $250 million and Waterworld's $225 million.

Most expensive films ever
Superman Returns (2006) $326 million
HP and the Goblet of Fire (2005) $305m
Titanic (1997) $200m
Spiderman 2 (2004) $200m
Dinosaur (2000) $200m
Waterworld (1995) $175m
Wild Wild West (1999) $175m
Van Helsing (2004) 170m
Polar Express (2004) $170m
Terminator 3 (2003) $170m
Alexander (2005) $155m
Speed 2 (1997) $150m
Batman Begins (2005) $150m
Troy (2004) $150m
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005) $150m
Armageddon (1998) $150m
Lethal Weapon 4 (1998) $140m

Amazing how expensive it is, but I guess they figure it will be one of the blockbusters for next summer. I for one can not wait for this movie to come out. (btw- can't wait for Tuesday either as Batman Begins is out).

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Those costs are unbelievable

"Superman Returns" will have be a box office smash. "Phantom Menace" only made $431 million in the first year.

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
peapod said:
OMG! that 40 year old virgin was so funny!! I thought come on, this is gonna be a dumb movie, but it was in fact most delicious! 8)

I see that is on our ppv channel tonight. I think I'll watch it later. I'm trusting you here, p. :p

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
pay for view!!!! whats wrong with you people!! go outside...take a stroll...walk down to dat movie house, smuggle your own snacks tho...don't get me started on those rip off snack bars!!! feck dat shite cost more than da movie...plus they are lying!!! they do not use butter...its pretend butter!! what the hell is up with that!! pretend butter... :? :?

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
It's 11.30pm podge. The cinema is closed. And I can cook my own munchies - fish curry, Thai sticky rice and onion bhajis. Oh yes. 8)

Film better be good, though. Or you're a squished pea, innit?

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
I don't like sticky rice...its sticks...try putting a gob in your hand and throwing it...nada...just sticks! you have to wrap up in a banana leaf to fire it across the room.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
With this talk of "going" to a movie I just realized my daughter is at the movies now. As I type. And I forgot to ask what movie they were going to see!!!! Crap!

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
And I forgot to ask what movie they were going to see!!!! Crap!

It can't be that bad, can it?

"Superman Returns" will have be a box office smash. "Phantom Menace" only made $431 million in the first year.

They don't have to make it all back at once anymore though. The movies go to the big screen, then ppv, then DVD, then they show up on TV. That's not to mention all of the dolls, comic books, Halloween costumes, and other crap. It's more of a long-term investment now.

I wonder how much movies like sideways and 40 year old virgin cost? Those were both excellent movies, and I think done on a low budget.

Sideways was great. Now I'm going to have to watch 40 Year Old Virgin. I saw the ads and thought it was some crappy movie for 40 year old teenagers.

go outside...take a stroll...walk down to dat movie house,

Lemme see...no smoking, they frown on beer drinking, they won't let me bring the dogs, I can't pause the movie when I go to take a leak. I think I'll wait for the DVD.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
#juan said:
Those costs are unbelievable

I know Spiderman movies did good as did the X men movies and even Batman Begins (but not as well as they hoped I don't think)I think Superman Returns could be a smash hit, it has the potential but It would really have to be a big hit to make up the cost of making it though.

I have watched some of the "making of" and "backlot videos" and it seems they are going all out with the story and special effects. Supermans suit in this movie does not seem so bright as Chris Reeve suit.

I remember lining up for hours at Guilford to see Superman and Superman 2 as a kid. The line ups were straight out the mall (as theatre was inside mall at time)

I think Brandon Routh should be a good Clark Kent/Superman. I am not sure about Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane though, but I guess we have to wait and see. I am looking forward to seeing it.

Since I am a bit of an old timer now, It will be strange to see a Superman that is not Christopher Reeve (I did not like Dean Cain version, too small and too metrosexual). I do think Terri Hatcher was best Lois Lane (Erica Durance is a close second).

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
no1important

God, I'm old enough to remember Superman played by Christopher Reeve's dad; Steve Reeves.

Rev

I forgot about the toys, tapes, and DVDs etc. They probably bring in nearly as much as the box office.

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
I see the all-new Superman still has the old "underpants over his trousers" ensemble, from the forties. That's just so passé.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I see the all-new Superman still has the old "underpants over his trousers" ensemble, from the forties. That's just so passé

or nostalgic...I've been trying to figure out that whole man in tights thing and why would a superhero not have a better package?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
God, I'm old enough to remember Superman played by Christopher Reeve's dad; Steve Reeves.

But do you remember Ultraman?

I forgot about the toys, tapes, and DVDs etc. They probably bring in nearly as much as the box office.

I never really realised how much of that crap there was until I did a couple of x-mas seasons at a commercial photo studio. Hmmm....that season should be ending about now. I should stop by there on Tuesday and see if they're shooting the lingerie models yet. 8O 8)

GL Schmitt

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2005
Ontario
Hard-Luck Henry said:
I see the all-new Superman still has the old "underpants over his trousers" ensemble, from the forties. That's just so passé.
It worked for Madonna, dinnit? :roll:

Edit:

Anybody remember Bud Collyer?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
You mean,...gulp...this is a job for....

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
No but I googled his name and Bud Collyer was the voice of superman on radio.

But his best-remembered radio role arrived in early 1940: the title role in The Adventures of Superman on the Mutual network, a role he did in the 1940s radio drama and subsequent Superman cartoons.

Imagine for a minute if Superman was real, do you think he would allow "W" to get away with what he is doing? I would say no.