I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Gitmo's 'gourmet fare'
By James Langton
LONDON DAILY TELEGRAPH
June 29, 2005

NEW YORK -- The prison is known more for the accusation that it's a gulag than for goulash, but a new cookbook aims to counter the reputation of the detention center at U.S. Naval Base Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
Several hundred recipes prepared for the inmates at the camp are to be published next month in "The Gitmo Cookbook," including dishes such as mustard-and-dill baked fish and honey-and-ginger chicken breast.
The recipes -- most of which use fewer than eight ingredients and originally were created to feed up to 100 persons -- were developed by the U.S. Navy cooks in charge of the camp's kitchens.
They must serve food that meets the Islamic halal requirements of the 540 detainees, who mostly are from Afghanistan, Iraq and other Arab nations. A halal meal adheres to dietary practices mandated by Islamic law.
The chance to eat the Gitmo way will be offered in the compilation of recipes by a group of Americans who say the camp's reputation for inhumane conditions and torture is exaggerated.
Freed detainees have complained of intimidation by dogs, being forced to wear pictures of scantily clad women around their necks, and being kept in isolation for months at a time, in either freezing or boiling temperatures.
Laura Curtis, one of the book's editors, says the recipes would "make a point about how well we are treating these people." Freed prisoners are said to have put on an average of nearly 14 pounds during captivity.
"We feel that the word 'torture' is a serious abuse of the language when you apply it to what's going on at Gitmo," she says. "We're pretty tired of the military-bashing that we see in the news."
On testing the recipes, one member of the book team disliked the glazed carrots but says the carrots "did not sink to the level of torture."
The issue of food at Guantanamo -- described as "the gulag for our times" by Amnesty International last month and then compared by Sen. Richard J. Durbin to Nazi concentration camps -- was the focus of a publicity stunt last week by the Republican chairman of the House Armed Services Committee.
Rep. Duncan Hunter, California Republican, tucked into a typical dish and supplied details of a Sunday menu at Gitmo: orange-glazed chicken, fresh fruit, steamed peas and mushrooms, and rice pilaf.
Calling it "gourmet fare," Mr. Hunter singled out lemon-baked fish. "We treat them very well," he says of the prisoners, some of whom have been held without trial since 2002. "They have never eaten better."
The Pentagon budgets $2.5 million per year for feeding the prisoners, which works out to $12.68 per person per day. Meals in federal prisons cost $2.78 per convict daily.
Food for the detainees, including two hot meals per day, is prepared in the kitchens used for U.S. troops at the naval base. Pork and shellfish are off the menu for religious reasons. Popular dishes include curried eggs, tandoori-baked chicken and lyonnaise rice. A breakfast typically includes dates and honey.
Prisoners considered to be well-behaved or low security risks are allowed to serve themselves around open-air dining tables in the detention blocks. Military police serve food to the other inmates.
"The Gitmo Cookbook" will sell for $8.95, and profits will be donated to a military charity.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/world/20050629-120419-7234r.htm

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They must have horrible chefs. A horrible chef is in fact torture.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Gitmo's 'gourmet fare

It's stupid. It's okay to use sleep deprivation and stress positions as long as the food is okay? Whoa, f**ck...here's some chocalate mousse, let me break your fingers. Hey, here's a t-bone...I guess you won't mind if I keep you awake for 4 or 5 days.

What a load of crap. If I give Georgie a really good cheeseburger, can I kick him in the teeth a few times?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Maybe an apologist can justify it in his own mind. Civilized people generally consider torture to be wrong though, ITN. if you've been following this you don't need my links, either. Your soldiers beat a man to death in Afghanistan because they thought he was funny when he prayed. They had already decided he was innocent, but they kept whacking away anyway. It was worth a giggle or two. That kind of shit doesn't happen unless the problem comes from the top. You know that.

Want a beer? Does that get me some free shots?

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

That article was more "W" spin.

Freed detainees have complained of intimidation by dogs, being forced to wear pictures of scantily clad women around their necks, and being kept in isolation for months at a time, in either freezing or boiling temperatures.

Thats the reality.

Laura Curtis, one of the book's editors, says the recipes would "make a point about how well we are treating these people." Freed prisoners are said to have put on an average of nearly 14 pounds during captivity.
"We feel that the word 'torture' is a serious abuse of the language when you apply it to what's going on at Gitmo," she says. "We're pretty tired of the military-bashing that we see in the news."

:roll: :roll: and :roll:

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Re: RE: Gitmo's 'gourmet fare

no1important said:
That article was more "W" spin.

Thats the reality.

:roll: :roll: and :roll:

Yup thats right up there with eye goudging.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
All in all,they are pretty well treated,when you consider they are all suspected terrorists. Many of these prisoners might have done far worse things to their fellow man!

AirIntake

Electoral Member
Mar 9, 2005
Then by all means charge them with something! If the US had anything at all on these people they would have already been tried and convicted by some military kangaroo court. If they can't even manage a BS trial, then they really have nothing on these detainees.

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
Re: RE: Gitmo's 'gourmet fare'

missile said:
All in all,they are pretty well treated,when you consider they are all suspected terrorists. Many of these prisoners might have done far worse things to their fellow man!

Many of them are not...who are they [the US Military] to decide guilt before due process?

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
They are enemy combatants...they are lucky they didn't meet a worse fate than "mustard-and-dill baked fish and honey-and-ginger chicken breast."

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
That’s their classification as far as I understand it....the courts said that they have the right to deny that classification, and some have won their case....I'm no expert on it mind you.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

All I can say is I'd hate to be treated like that simply for being in the wrong place at the wrong time or having the wrong last name or having the wrong coloured skin, or taveling on the wrong plane or attempting to clear customs with the wrong agent.........

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
The enemy combatant status is clearly designed to contravene the Geneva Convention...the Israelis did the same thing about 13 months or so before 911...funny that eh...

Anyway...it doesn't really matter what laws the US or Israel pass domestically, they are still bound by international conventions to which they are signatory...to ignore or try to contravene those conventions is considered a war crime, and torture at any rate is a crime against humanity for which there is no defense...

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
They are enemy combatants...they are lucky they didn't meet a worse fate than "mustard-and-dill baked fish and honey-and-ginger chicken breast."

The US is paying bounties. Innocent people are being turned in to the US military as al Qaeda members because they look Arab.

Enemy combatants is a term that is not recognised by the international community. They are either prisoners of war or they are criminals, if they are not designated as either then the US is breaking the law. If they are prisoners of war, a designation that would protect them from interrogation (including torture), the US is breaking the law. If they are criminals they deserve a fair and open trial so the US is again breaking the law.

Anyway you cut it, George Bush is guilty.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Welp, I guess the US should be dropping Geneva Convention Manuals in Afghanistan :idea: , JUST in case they decide to disregard the conventions next time they strike us

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Just don't put yellow covers on them...they might eat them…