Jim Carrey sued for wrongful death by late girlfriend's estranged husband

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Jim Carrey sued for wrongful death by late girlfriend's estranged husband
WENN.COM
First posted: Monday, September 19, 2016 07:28 PM EDT | Updated: Monday, September 19, 2016 07:41 PM EDT
Jim Carrey is facing a wrongful death lawsuit from the estranged husband of his late ex-girlfriend Cathriona White, days before the first anniversary of her suicide.
The Irish-born make-up artist took her own life at her Sherman Oaks, California home with a cocktail of prescription drugs in September, 2015, days after she and Carrey reportedly ended their relationship for a second time.
Authorities discovered four different types of powerful medication by her body, as well as a note addressed to the actor, which read: “I’ve spent three days now in disbelief that you’re not here. I can go on brokenhearted and try to put the pieces back. I could, I just don’t have the will this time. I’m sorry you felt I wasn’t there for you. I tried to give you my best part... Please forgive me. I’m just not for this world.”
The Mask star, who dated White on and off since 2012, was left devastated by her death, but the 30-year-old’s estranged husband, Mark Burton, believes Carrey, 54, should be held responsible for the tragedy.
In legal papers filed in Los Angeles on Monday, Burton alleges the actor provided White with the pills she overdosed on, despite being aware she was “ill equipped to ingest and manage highly addictive prescription drugs outside the care of a licensed physician” and that she was “prone to depression”.
Burton accuses Carrey of breaking California law by obtaining the drugs under another name, using Arthur King to hide his real identity.
The suit states: “This is a case about Jim Carrey using his immense wealth and celebrity status to illegally obtain and distribute highly addictive and, in this case, deadly, controlled substances.”
Burton goes on to claim Carrey attempted to “cover-up his conduct and complicity in her death” three days after his ex’s suicide by sending a “bogus text message” saying he had “misplaced” the medication and suggesting White had snagged them without his knowledge.
Representatives for Carrey have yet to comment on the lawsuit, in which Burton is seeking unspecified damages and legal fees.
Burton, a resident of Portland, Oregon, is also asking for Carrey to pay for Cathriona’s funeral expenses, amid claims the comedian had reneged on an earlier offer to cover the burial costs.
Carrey served as a pallbearer at White’s funeral in her native Tipperary, Ireland on 10 October, 2015.
An autopsy report released by the Los Angeles County Coroner’s Office revealed White had traces of drugs including anti-nausea medication Zofran, beta blocker Propranol, painkiller Percocet and sleep-aid Ambien in her system at the time of her death.
Jim Carrey sued for wrongful death by late girlfriend's estranged husband | Cele

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
When people rifle your medicine cabinet when you let them use your bathroom its your fault...?
Was she on prescription antidepressants?
Was she drinking...

Guess it will all come out in the wash

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
'Cat’s troubles were born long before I met her'; Jim Carrey blasts wrongful death lawsuit
WENN.com
First posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 08:00 AM EDT | Updated: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 09:01 AM EDT
Jim Carrey will defend his “honour against the evil in this world”, after being named in a wrongful death lawsuit.
The 54-year-old actor dated Irish-born Cathriona White on and off from 2012, until the make-up artist took her own life at her Sherman Oaks, Calif., home with a cocktail of prescription drugs in September, 2015. Her suicide came days after she and Carrey reportedly ended their relationship for a second time, and authorities discovered four different types of powerful medication by her body, as well as a note addressed to the actor.
On Monday, White’s estranged husband Mark Burton filed a lawsuit against Carrey, alleging the actor provided White with the pills she overdosed on, despite being aware she was “ill equipped to ingest and manage highly addictive prescription drugs outside the care of a licensed physician” and that she was “prone to depression”.
Following Burton’s filing of papers in Los Angeles, Carrey released a statement accusing him of attempting to profit from White’s tragic death.
“I will not tolerate this heartless attempt to exploit me or the woman I loved,” he said. “Cat’s troubles were born long before I met her and sadly her tragic end was beyond anyone’s control.
“I really hope that some day soon people will stop trying to profit from this and let her rest in peace.”
Carrey, who is being represented by lawyer Marty Singer in the case, also said in his statement that while he could have dealt with the case in private, he wants to set the record straight in the public domain.
“What a terrible shame. It would be easy for me to get in a back room with this man’s lawyer and make this go away, but there are some moments in life when you have to stand up and defend your honour against the evil in this world,” he added.
Burton is seeking unspecified damages and legal fees from Carrey, and is also asking the actor to pay for White’s funeral expenses, amid claims the comedian had reneged on an earlier offer to cover the burial costs.
Carrey served as a pallbearer at White’s funeral in her native Tipperary, Ireland, on Oct. 10, 2015.
Meanwhile, Singer labelled Burton’s lawsuit “a money-grab scheme” when contacted by TMZ.com.
Jim Carrey attends the funeral of Cathriona White on Oct. 10, 2015, in Cappawhite, Tipperary, Ireland. (Debbie Hickey/Getty Images)

'Cat’s troubles were born long before I met her'; Jim Carrey blasts wrongful dea

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Jim Carrey hit with wrongful death lawsuit from his late ex Cathriona White’s mother; claims the actor gave her daughter three STDs
WENN.COM
First posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2016 03:50 PM EDT | Updated: Tuesday, October 11, 2016 04:08 PM EDT
The mother of Jim Carrey’s tragic ex-girlfriend has filed suit against the actor, alleging he is responsible for her 2015 death.
Brigid Sweetman claims the funnyman was a terrible boyfriend who called her daughter, Cathriona White, a “*****” and dumped her when she informed him he had given her sexually transmitted diseases.
In her new lawsuit, obtained by TMZ, Sweetman also alleges Jim tried to silence her daughter when she learned from a doctor in 2013 she had contracted two types of herpes and chlamydia.
The heartbroken mum maintains Carrey initially brushed off Cathriona’s claims that he had given her the STDs and then ended the relationship, telling his then-girlfriend, “You have become too much drama.”
The lawsuit suggests Cathriona struggled emotionally before overdosing on Ambien, Propranolol and Percocet.
The latest legal action comes just weeks after White’s estranged husband Mark Burton made similar claims against Carrey in a wrongful death lawsuit filed last month.
Burton filed an amended lawsuit on September 22, in which he claimed his wife took her own life because she couldn’t live with the shame of being “damaged goods”.
Burton alleged White told the funnyman she thought she had contracted an STD in a text conversation in February, 2013. He added Cathriona discovered she had Herpes Type I, Herpes Type 2 and Gonorrhoea.
Before committing suicide, White allegedly wrote to Jim, explaining her STDs would make it impossible for her to find someone new after their break-up, and the late stylist’s estranged husband’s revised lawsuit includes text messages he says Jim and Cathriona exchanged in 2013, including the ones referencing the STDs.
Carrey released a brief statement after news of the suit spread, which read: “Is this the way a ‘husband’ honors the memory of his ‘wife?’ The real disease here is greed, shameful greed!”
White was found dead in her home in Sherman Oaks, California on 28 September, 2015, following a drug overdose. Her death was officially ruled a suicide by the Los Angeles County Coroner’s office in July.
Jim Carrey hit with wrongful death lawsuit from his late ex Cathriona White’s mo

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Mother of Jim Carrey's dead ex wants STD test results made public
WENN.com
First posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2016 03:20 PM EDT
The mother of Jim Carrey's tragic ex-girlfriend has promised to drop her wrongful death lawsuit if he publicly releases the results of an alleged sexual health test.
Brigid Sweetman followed the actions of her estranged son-in-law, Mark Burton, this week, when she launched legal action against the actor, holding him responsible for Cathriona White's 2015 death.
She accused Carrey of breaking her daughter's heart by calling her a "*****" and dumping her in 2013 when she informed the star he had given her herpes and chlamydia.
They split, only to reconcile shortly afterwards, and remained together until Carrey allegedly broke off the relationship again, days before Cathriona overdosed on Ambien, Propranolol and Percocet in September 2015 due to her fragile emotional state.
Despite the court filing, Sweetman has revealed she would be willing to drop the case if Carrey shares the results of a sexually transmitted disease (STD) test he reportedly took under an alias to prove he is clean.
A statement issued to Entertainment news - The Wrap reads: "Jim Carrey and his attorney have told the world that Carrey has never had STDs and he has never tested positive for STDs. They have called me and Mark 'shams' for claiming otherwise.
"I am demanding they immediately release the full 2013 lab results so people can judge for themselves who is telling the truth and who is lying. If they publicly release and publish the full Quest Diagnostics lab report for the blood sample Carrey gave on January 28, 2013 at 11:40 a.m. under the name 'Jose Lopez' and if it shows Carrey did not test positive for STDs, I will immediately dismiss the case and apologize.
"But if it shows differently, and it will, then Carrey and his attorney must admit they have lied to the media and the public. The public has a right to know when they have been lied to."
Carrey's lawyer Martin Singer has yet to respond to Sweetman's challenge, but he dismissed the latest lawsuit allegations on Tuesday, and claimed White had previously complained about her "contentious relationship" with her mother, who she had reportedly been estranged from "for years".
Burton filed his wrongful death lawsuit against Carrey last month and made similar accusations, claiming his estranged wife took her own life because she couldn't live with the shame of being "damaged goods".
At the time, The Mask star released a brief statement, which read: "Is this the way a 'husband' honors the memory of his 'wife?' The real disease here is greed, shameful greed!"
White was found dead in her home in Sherman Oaks, California on 28 September, 2015, following a drug overdose. Her death was officially ruled a suicide by the Los Angeles County Coroner's office in July.
Mother of Jim Carrey's dead ex wants STD test results made public | Celebrities

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Mother of Jim Carrey's dead ex wants STD test results made public
WENN.com
First posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2016 03:20 PM EDT
The mother of Jim Carrey's tragic ex-girlfriend has promised to drop her wrongful death lawsuit if he publicly releases the results of an alleged sexual health test.
Brigid Sweetman followed the actions of her estranged son-in-law, Mark Burton, this week, when she launched legal action against the actor, holding him responsible for Cathriona White's 2015 death.
She accused Carrey of breaking her daughter's heart by calling her a "*****" and dumping her in 2013 when she informed the star he had given her herpes and chlamydia.
Innovative for sure, but I think I woulda stuck with the traditional roses and chocolate.

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
Anyone counting the number of times the number 23 will factor into this story? cue twilight zone music

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
STDs', probable, but it's sex between two adult. Carey cannot be blamed for an adult accessing his meds and overdosing.