Now THAT'S a real Bond girl! Has O-O-Olivia Colman been lined up to play 007?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The name’s Bond... Jane Bond. Broadchurch star Olivia Colman is set to make history by becoming the first female 007.

The Daily Mail can exclusively reveal that 42-year-old Miss Colman will take over from Daniel Craig for the next movie – currently known only as Bond 25 – in a controversial move sure to outrage many diehard fans.

She won the role after impressing producer Barbara Broccoli with her portrayal of spymaster Angela Burr in BBC1’s The Night Manager, which ended on Sunday.

'Barbara was blown away by her performance as a hard, determined yet compassionate spook,’ said a source. ‘She feels after years of cold, emotionless Bonds, it’s time to introduce someone with real humanity behind the steel.’

Now THAT'S a real Bond girl! Has O-O-Olivia Colman been lined up to play 007? Broadchurch star set to make history by taking over from Daniel Craig for next movie

Broadchurch star Olivia Colman will the first ever female 007 - Jane Bond

Lined up for the role after impressing as Angela Burr in The Night Manager

She impressed Bond producer Barbara Broccoli with performance as spy

Co-star Tom Hiddleston and Poldark Aidan Turner were favourites before

By Lorraine Fisher for the Daily Mail
1 April 2016
Daily Mail

The name’s Bond... Jane Bond. Broadchurch star Olivia Colman is set to make history by becoming the first female 007.

The Daily Mail can exclusively reveal that 42-year-old Miss Colman will take over from Daniel Craig for the next movie – currently known only as Bond 25 – in a controversial move sure to outrage many diehard fans.

She won the role after impressing producer Barbara Broccoli with her portrayal of spymaster Angela Burr in BBC1’s The Night Manager, which ended on Sunday.

Jane Bond: Olivia Colman has been lined up to replace Daniel Craig and play the first ever female 007

She won the role after impressing producer Barbara Broccoli with her portrayal of spymaster Angela Burr (second from left), alongside Tom Hiddleston, a previous favourite, in BBC1’s The Night Manager

'Barbara was blown away by her performance as a hard, determined yet compassionate spook,’ said a source. ‘She feels after years of cold, emotionless Bonds, it’s time to introduce someone with real humanity behind the steel.’

Speculation about who will play Ian Fleming’s most famous creation had been rife since Craig announced last year he would rather ‘slash his wrists’ than reprise the role. Tom Hiddleston, Miss Colman’s co-star in the Night Manager, had been tipped as the next Bond, with Poldark’s Aidan Turner and Luther’s Idris Elba also believed to be in the running.

Mother-of-three Miss Colman, who has also starred in Peep Show and Rev, has been in talks with Bond producers for the past few weeks. She was told on Monday she had secured the part.

‘Olivia couldn’t believe it, she thought it was a joke at first,’ said a close friend. ‘It’s the dream job that every actor in Britain wanted and she was over the moon to land it. But it’s not just that.

‘Olivia’s no fool – she knows it will raise her profile abroad and lead to better, and more lucrative, film offers. Olivia knows it’s now time to prove herself to the rest of the world. She had her third baby less than eight months ago but is determined to get in shape and prove she can do the stunts just as well as any man.’

Yesterday Bond 25 associate producer Flora Pilo said: ‘We can’t yet confirm who will be taking over from Daniel Craig. An announcement will be made in due course.’

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I was hoping Rowan Atkinson would get the role. He was good as Johnny English.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
April fool's or not, I hate people with big gums when they smile.

Downvote this skank.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
I doubt they'll do it. If they do, it'll be a George Lazenby one off. Bond films can cost $150M to make and can gross over a billion once all the retail, video, merchandizing and television revenues are calculated. It's one of the most successful franchises in movie history.. putting it all on the line to make some gender equality pitch.. would be a very brave.. and a very foolish decision.

Last edited:

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Ahhh.. April Fool.. i should have guessed... but an April Fool's prank should be so outlandish that no one would believe it.. and this day and age this not so far fetched.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
What's wrong with the Bond girls from the latest film, Spectre?

From left to right: Moneypenny; psychologist Dr. Madeleine Swann; James Bond; Lucia Sciarra, the widow of an assassin killed by Bond; and Ernst Stavro Blofeld, who is, of course, head of the global criminal organisation SPECTRE (SPecial Executive for Counter-intelligence, Terrorism, Revenge and Extortion) and who is making his seventh appearance in a Bond film (his and SPECTRE's first appearance was in the second Bond film From Russia With Love in 1963).

Apparently, Tom Hardy is the favourite to be the next Bond.

He was famously cast as both of the Kray twins, Ronnie and Reggie, in last year's film Legend:

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
It's her from Russia With Love. She died in 1981, so she's probably not in a fit enough state at this moment to play a Bond girl.

Anybody who could kill Diana Riggs is a BAD, BAD person, in my books. Diana was the sexiest woman alive, in my books.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Anybody who could kill Diana Riggs is a BAD, BAD person, in my books. Diana was the sexiest woman alive, in my books.

Diana Rigg was sexy as a thirty year old doinking George Lazenby in On Her Majesty's Secret Service, but it sort of puts me off when I remember that she's now 77.