Netflix vows to block Canadians from its U.S. site

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Netflix vows to block Canadians from its U.S. site
Peter Henderson, THE CANADIAN PRESS
First posted: Thursday, January 14, 2016 03:12 PM EST | Updated: Thursday, January 14, 2016 03:31 PM EST
TORONTO -- Netflix says it's planning on cracking down on users who use virtual private networks and proxy services to view content not available in their countries.
Many of the company's distribution deals with major studios and content providers are negotiated on a regional basis, meaning certain titles are only available to users in certain countries.
Some Canadians use VPN services to stream Netflix movies and TV shows available in the United States, which according to the website Netflixable has around twice as many available titles.
The U.S. version of Netflix also features more Hollywood blockbusters and recent seasons of popular network shows than its Canadian counterpart.
In a blog post, David Fullagar, Netflix's vice-president of content delivery, said the company is making progress in licensing content across borders but is now implementing new measures to end the use of so-called unblockers and other proxy services.
The company has always been against the use of such services and has said it takes measure to shut them down, but Fullagar said the company is "evolving" its approach to the problem and the new strategy will be in place in the coming weeks.
According to a April 2015 report by Media Technology Monitor, roughly two in five English-speaking Canadians has a subscription to the video-streaming service, with nearly one-third saying they had accessed the American version of the service.
Netflix vows to block Canadians from its U.S. site | News | Tech | Toronto Sun

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
CraveTV is available to everyone soon, not just Bell Customers anymore ..

There is also Sling TV

https://www.sling.com

Netflix has actually come quite a long way. I think that they will eventually be offering similar content in both countries. I also think the CEO's comments about "cracking down" are more about paying lip service to the ministry of censorship in Ottawa.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Oh yeah?

Pandora Internet Radio - Listen to Free Music You'll Love

http://www.vudo.com

US Companies are being forced to block Canadians..

....and they are pretty successful at it.

Pandora has always blocked since Canadian streaming laws are different (ie: non-existent) vs. the US. For a company like Slacker or Pandora to stream music, it has to have the license of the music. In the US they can stream (and pay a fixed royalty) and only need the license for on-demand or cached type services. A lot of US companies don't bother with the expense of coming to Canada. If you however used a proxy you would get around them too.

I know, the same applies to Canadian's who want to listen to US stations. The CRTC needs to be dismantled. It is nothing, but a censorship money pit.

It's not the CRTC its the Canadian version of the RIAA.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
I think you meatheads are watching wayyy too much television.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Pandora has always blocked since Canadian streaming laws are different (ie: non-existent) vs. the US. For a company like Slacker or Pandora to stream music, it has to have the license of the music. In the US they can stream (and pay a fixed royalty) and only need the license for on-demand or cached type services. A lot of US companies don't bother with the expense of coming to Canada. If you however used a proxy you would get around them too.

It's not the CRTC its the Canadian version of the RIAA.
Try Jango Free Music Online - Internet Radio - Jango
They also have an app for your IPhone

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Oh, yeah I forgot. Radio enthusiast. :) What is the name of this Canadian version?

I am afraid I don't know. And to clarify, it's not that they are actively blocking it but they haven't been able to push the government for the same streaming legislation that they have in the USA. It was the RIAA in the states which pushed for that legislation and bought the required politicians.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
...and the backlash would be they lose 100,000 customers. Not smart.

With Shomi and CraveTV now on the Market, Canadians are getting alternatives.
Exactly my rhought. Crave has been around for years but Shomi, is flipping freebies out there. I received a mail out from Netflix a few days ago seeing which package I wanted .The general one at the usual price, and then about 3 choices costing up to anout $12 or 14. Can't remember. Haven't ans. Maybe it's a sham. Anyone else get the same mail?