Netflix: Making a Murderer

Retired_Can_Soldier
+2
#1  Top Rated Post
I just finished watching the Nine Part documentary that follows the wrongful conviction of Steven Avery who served 18 years for a rape he did not commit, only to be exonerated by DNA evidence. But that is really where the story begins, because Avery, in the midst of a multi-million dollar lawsuit against the County that wrongfully convicted him suddenly is charged with the murder of a 25 year old Wisconsin woman named: Teresa Halbach.

This documentary is not a reality show, but a 10-year look at one of the most fascinating bizarre cases I have ever heard about. At the time of his arrest, Avery was embroiled in a lawsuit that could have fetched him in excess of 30 million dollars. It is a commentary on lousy police investigative technique or lack thereof and it raises a credible question as to whether members of the Manitowoc County Police Department were embroiled in a conspiracy to bring Avery down.

There are issues in this documentary that will leave people asking whether or not Steven Avery is guilty of the crime for which he was found guilt. It will show you how Police Detectives coerced a 16 year old boy (Brendan Dassey) with learning disabilities into a confession by feeding him evidence that should have been withheld which leads to his conviction.

Riveting, is the best word I can use to describe this documentary. I highly recommend it.

(Above) Steven Avery after being arrested for a rape he would serve 18 years only to be exonerated by DNA evidence.

(Above) Avery arrested for the murder of Teresa Halbach only weeks before he was to hear of a lawsuit that would have awarded millions.

Murder victim Theresa Halbach led to the arrest of Avery after her bones were found in a fire pit outside his home along were her Toyota Rav 4 found on the families property

(Above) Brendan Dassey, also found guilty in the murder and rape of Teresa Halbach is the most shocking part of this documentary, simply because the (obviously slow) Dassey is coerced by police into a false confession, but clearly sold out by his own defense team who was working with the prosecution.

I strongly urge people top watch this. It was fascinating and even after it was over, I was left with a great many questions about the judicial system..

CDNBear
+1
Watched. It's very slanted, but even with the evidence they excluded, the case was a mess. Guilty or not, I think it's fair to say he was railroaded.

There's a lot of banjo music emanating from that property. But that doesn't negate the fact that Scott Tadych and Charles Avery should have been considered suspects as well.

I have a lot of links if you'd like to to discuss it at any length Mark.

Retired_Can_Soldier
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

Watched. It's very slanted, but even with the evidence they excluded, the case was a mess. Guilty or not, I think it's fair to say he was railroaded.

There's a lot of banjo music emanating from that property. But that doesn't negate the fact that Scott Tadych and Charles Avery should have been considered suspects as well.

I have a lot of links if you'd like to to discuss it at any length Mark.

I did a lot of reading on it afterwards. Avery isn't as innocent as he seems, although he was definitely isn't guilty of the rape he served 17 years for and the police force definitely railroaded him. I think what I found most troubling was the nephew. I don't think that kid should be in jail.

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_SoldierView Post

I think what I found most troubling was the nephew. I don't think that kid should be in jail.

Everything I've read on Brendon, leaves me on the fence.

I'd like to see or hear all the interviews between him and Fassbender and Weigert. I'm not completely sold that he was fed details by the special investigators.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Everything I've read on Brendon, leaves me on the fence.

I'd like to see or hear all the interviews between him and Fassbender and Weigert. I'm not completely sold that he was fed details by the special investigators.

It certainly speaks to how bizarre people can be. Here Steven Avery is on the cusp of winning a multi-million dollar lawsuit and he kills someone. In my opinion, there is too much evidence pointing to his guilt, but I think what we have here is a case of the local police hedging their bets in getting a conviction. May adding a few pieces to the mix.

Nothing adds up with Brendon. In my opinion his confession to police was definitely coached and there really wasn't any evidence. No blood in the bedroom, where he claimed to have cut her throat. No semen where he said he had raped her. I think he may have been present during the burning, but I don't think he was involved the killing.

There is so much reasonable doubt surrounding the whole case it is a wonder either of them were convicted.

CDNBear

There is so much reasonable doubt surrounding the whole case it is a wonder either of them were convicted.

Can you imagine the repercussions from an aquittal based on Police misconduct/corruption?

The fallout would have seen the vacating of thousands of convictions.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Can you imagine the repercussions from an aquittal based on Police misconduct/corruption?

The fallout would have seen the vacating of thousands of convictions.

Look at the OJ trial which was fought on the notion that police planted evidence.

Money walks.

CDNBear

Look at the OJ trial which was fought on the notion that police planted evidence.

Money walks.

It does. But so does baffle gab. Which OJ's lawyers used in excess.

Retired_Can_Soldier

It does. But so does baffle gab. Which OJ's lawyers used in excess.

That's the point. They were able to plant a seed of doubt based on nothing. While there was enough reasonable doubt in the Avery Trial to bring a not guilty conviction. That is not to say Avery was innocent either.

CDNBear

That's the point. They were able to plant a seed of doubt based on nothing. While there was enough reasonable doubt in the Avery Trial to bring a not guilty conviction. That is not to say Avery was innocent either.

Agreed.

spaminator
Netflix documentary series 'Making a Murderer' filming new episodes
THE CANADIAN PRESS
First posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 04:45 PM EDT | Updated: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 04:52 PM EDT
"Making a Murderer" will be making a return to Netflix.
The streaming service announced Tuesday that the filmmakers behind the hit Emmy-nominated docu-series are producing new episodes.
The latest instalments promise to delve back into the stories of Steven Avery and his co-defendant Brendan Dassey as they seek to challenge their convictions in the 2005 death of photographer Teresa Halbach.
Helmed by directors Laura Ricciardi and Moira Demos, the new episodes will look into the post-conviction process and emotional toll for all involved.
Avery's new lawyer Kathleen Zellner and Dassey's legal team, led by Laura Nirider and Steve Drizin, will be featured in the new episodes. Filmmakers will also offer a closer glimpse at the families and other individuals close to the case.
"Making a Murderer" has generated significant buzz since its release late last year, and recently received six Emmy nominations, including a nod for outstanding documentary or non-fiction series.
Netflix documentary series 'Making a Murderer' filming new episodes | TV | Enter

tay
+1
A federal judge has ordered Brendan Dassey be grantedsupervised release from prison.

Federal Judge William Duffin, who previously overturned Dassey's conviction for the 2005 murder of Teresa Halbach, now says he should be released from prison while the state appeals the overturning.

The release from prison is not immediate, however, and comes with multiple conditions. Any violation would result in his being returned to custody.

Among the conditions:

'Making a Murderer' subject Dassey granted supervised release | WJAR (external - login to view)

spaminator
No promises to ’Making a Murderer’ inmate: Lawyer