Unbelievable........

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
About twelve years ago I had a bout of tennis elbow that therapy and acupuncture couldn't fix. since I used to play the five string banjo and playing with finger picks works the tendons of the forearm, I decided to pick it up again, and after one month of picking .....the tennis elbow disappeared.
Now , lately, I started developing a bit of arthritis in the middle finger, right hand.....so my wife tells me.....try the banjo again....so I decided to give it a try....
Now I hadn't touched the thing in at least five years, playing mostly mandolin and a bit of guitar...so the thing was hanging by the neck on it's music stand in the corner of the living room and was only moved about (on it's stand) when vacuuming or dusting. When I picked it up an hour ago for a little practice session and gave it a strum...I couldn't believe my ears......It sounded (In tune)....
To make sure, I took out the electronic tuner and clamped it on...... all five string registered in their respective key at 438 hz instead of the standard 440 hz.
Two hz off in 5 years but still in tune....unfriggin believable.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Banjo is your therapy. Cool that it was still in tune.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
That's a four string, played with a single pick
Here is a five string played with an index and a middle finger and a thumb pick, "three finger picking" made famous by EarlScruggs
playing the first tune I learned when I learned to play in 1960.......
The old boy still had it a couple of years before he died...........R.I.P. Earl!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I couldn't believe my ears......It sounded (In tune)....
To make sure, I took out the electronic tuner and clamped it on...... all five string registered in their respective key at 438 hz instead of the standard 440 hz.
Two hz off in 5 years but still in tune....unfriggin believable.
Recent furnace/AC upgrades? I noticed the difference after major upgrades. Humidity is always perfect in the house year round.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Recent furnace/AC upgrades? I noticed the difference after major upgrades. Humidity is always perfect in the house year round.
Humidity changes a lot in this section of the country......With a banjo, temperature has more of an effect than anything else.....if you've ever been to a festival you would notice that the banjo player has to tune up one string or another a couple of times during a 40 min. set.
Falling temperatures in the evening, hot lights on stage.....all play havoc with banjo tuning more than other instruments since the back bridge sits on a taut skin, and temperature affects the tension.....

If I was playing for real right now I would change those strings, because the strings had probably reached the limit of their stretch when I put it away years ago, which could be why the tuning hasn't changed.....I did notice that the tonality isn't too hot......but....I'm playing only for therapy.....

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I once ordered an electric bass that crossed the country by ground freight and arrived in perfect tune. I couldn't believe it.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
My Banjo is a cheap Silvertone bough at sear in the 60's for 75 bucks...
The best I ever tried was a Stellings.....way too expensive for me, but that one could hold it's tuning through a thunderstorm....lol

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The old Silvertone might be worth a few bucks. Can't be too many around, or are there? I have no expertise in the banjo market lol.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
The old Silvertone might be worth a few bucks. Can't be too many around, or are there? I have no expertise in the banjo market lol.
Naah....don't think so.....the sound isn't all that good and the little money I made playing the local bars in the 60s until I got married is good enough for me...

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Have you listened to any Bela Fleck and the Flecktones? Fleck was bringing the banjo to new frontiers. His bassist was Victor Wooten, one of the best there is.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Have you listened to any Bela Fleck and the Flecktones? Fleck was bringing the banjo to new frontiers. His bassist was Victor Wooten, one of the best there is.
Yep....heard of him and other "progressive" bluegrass players....
He has a lot of talent.....but the "new height" he bring the music to, does not impress me.
I'm of the old school of "Bluegrass"..... I'm a (If you have to "plug it in" or "Beat it with a stick" it ain't music) kind of guy!
Although An electric bass is allowed because it is easier to transport , I still prefer the sound of the old doghouse bass.
I also have no use for drums..........except in a friendship circle...;-)

Mahan

Electoral Member
Feb 27, 2015
Islamic Republic of Iran
we have somethings same :
Tanbour (تنبور)

Tar (تار)

oud (عود)

Se Tar (سه تار)

do Tar (دوتار)

watch this one :