Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
not anything I'm interested in watching either then or now

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Sony is going to take a bath on what they had to pay the Sharpton & Jackson Thieves Guild. They need to make some cash out of it.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
not anything I'm interested in watching either then or now

No, me neither. I don't find Seth Rogan to be particularly funny to begin with. But I sure am curious to see how many people will go> I don't know if I entirely believe the story that sony believed there were really credible threats by NK> I kind of think they're just practicing some deceptive marketing.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
marketing? wonder if it worked?

For a limited release? That will cut severely cut down the amount of money they can make with it.

I kind of think they're just practicing some deceptive marketing.

Involving the US government and taking down the North Korean internet? That'd cost a hell of a lot more than the movie. It had a relatively low budget by hollywood terms. Doesnt really justify the costs it would take to fake what happened. If it all turns out to have been a ploy I'll be impressed.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
For a limited release? That will cut severely cut down the amount of money they can make with it.

That's just what they're saying for now. limited release. Sort of like how a band/musician will advertise doing a show in a city but will sometimes then decide to do another show the next night and/or sell more tickets plus sales DVD's, Bluerays, etc.

Involving the US government and taking down the North Korean internet? That'd cost a hell of a lot more than the movie. It had a relatively low budget by hollywood terms. Doesnt really justify the costs it would take to fake what happened. If it all turns out to have been a ploy I'll be impressed.

yeah, when you put it that way....but it all just seemed...convenient...and contrived sort a.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
marketing? wonder if it worked?

That's what I was thinking - marketing: that all this talk of censorship was part of its publicity campaign.

It sure as hell has worked as a NYC news report I watched earlier today indicated that pre-sales have sold out all available tickets.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Of course they will do a limited release and the popularity will create the demand
for a further release meaning theater goers will go again so they can be seen at
the main event. It was done because of individual case files and humiliation now
they are being put in the position of paying the price they tried to avoid

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Man wants refund after buying $650 in tickets to 'The Interview' at Esquire Theatre

CINCINNATI - The controversial film "The Interview" has been the buzz of the entertainment world in recent weeks.

So when Jason Best learned that a local movie house was among the 300-plus theaters across the country that planned to debut the film on Christmas Day, he wanted in.

Due to the limited release, Best bought 50 tickets to the showings at the Esquire Theatre in Clifton. He spent $650, or $13 per ticket (with service charges), because he thought he’d get his money back when he sold them online.

Tickets are generally $7 for matinees and $9.75 for evening shows. But management considered this a special event due to the fact it's an exclusive to the Ludlow Avenue venue.

"I saw all the hype about 'The Interview' on the 23rd and thought, 'hey, folks are selling these tickets in other cities and it seems like that's the thing to do right now so why not give it a shot so see how it goes,'" said Best, adding that he planned to use one ticket for himself.

But his plan backfired once Sony, the distributor of the film, announced it was releasing the film to streaming services like YouTube, Hulu and Netflix.

"The Interview," originally canned all together because of an alleged cyber threat from North Korea, got released online Dec. 24. That made the film widely available for about half the price of what Best paid for his tickets.

But the demand was nowhere near as great for Best's tickets. Once he realized that the he wasn't going to be able to sell the tickets, he tried to return them to the Esquire.

Another reason the theater listed for its refusal to give Best a refund is the fact he was trying to scalp the tickets at a higher price, "which is illegal," Duncan said.

http://www.wcpo.com/entertainment/movies/man-wants-refund-after-buying-650-in-tickets-to-the-interview-at-esquire-theatre