Film bosses wanted O.J. Simpson for Terminator

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Film bosses wanted O.J. Simpson for Terminator
WENN.com
First posted: Friday, July 18, 2014 12:39 AM EDT | Updated: Friday, July 18, 2014 12:44 AM EDT
Disgraced sportsman-turned-movie star O.J. Simpson was movie bosses' first choice to play the Terminator in director James Cameron's 1984 sci-fi blockbuster.
Celebrating the 30th anniversary of the film as part of an Entertainment Weekly feature, executive Mike Medavoy admits he wanted Simpson to front the film, with Arnold Schwarzenegger as the movie's hero.
Schwarzenegger eventually landed the Terminator role and Michael Biehn was cast as hero Kyle Reese.
Medavoy recalls, "At the time, O.J. Simpson had one of those commercials for Hertz where he jumped over a counter and ran to get a rental car. It was all of that athletic stuff, which I thought the Terminator should have."
But Cameron was far from sold on the idea.
He says, "This was when everybody loved him... He (Simpson) was this likeable, goofy, kind of innocent guy... (but) I wasn't interested in an African-American man chasing around a white girl with a knife."
A decade after the film came out, Simpson's role as a likeable celebrity turned upside down after he was accused of killing his wife and her friend in a jealous rage. Simpson was acquitted of the crime.
He is currently serving time behind bars for his part in an armed raid on a memorabilia dealer's Las Vegas hotel room.
Film bosses wanted O.J. Simpson for Terminator | Movies | Entertainment | Toront

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
I heard it was Arnold's twin, Danny Devito, that they originally considered.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Speaking of murderer just recently I watched Blake Edwards's movie "The Party" which featured cold blooded murderer Claudine Longet. While half the world is still mad at OJ, Longet got off with a suspended sentence and never spent a day in prison for killing her husband. Her films are still shown on TV and I've even heard a couple of her records on radio. How lucky she is that society has this double standard and did not demand the death penalty for her.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Speaking of murderer just recently I watched Blake Edwards's movie "The Party" which featured cold blooded murderer Claudine Longet. While half the world is still mad at OJ, Longet got off with a suspended sentence and never spent a day in prison for killing her husband. Her films are still shown on TV and I've even heard a couple of her records on radio. How lucky she is that society has this double standard and did not demand the death penalty for her.
never heard of her, I am going to look her up...thanks

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
geez, she was a talented lady, she may not have done time but it destroyed her none the less...maybe justice was served in a round about way,

Had an affair with her attorney and married him. Still married to him and she hasn't killed him yet so, guess she saw the error of her ways.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
But Cameron was far from sold on the idea.
He says, "This was when everybody loved him... He (Simpson) was this likeable, goofy, kind of innocent guy... (but) I wasn't interested in an African-American man chasing around a white girl with a knife."

The irony of that statement is so thick you could cut it with a knife!;)