Archie Andrews will die taking bullet for gay best friend in comic book

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
that's a shame

The famous freckle-faced comic book icon is meeting his demise in Wednesday’s installment of “Life with Archie”.

more

Archie Andrews will die taking bullet for gay best friend in comic book | Toronto Star

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
"We wanted to do something that was impactful that would really resonate with the world and bring home just how important Archie is to everyone"

:lol:.......good one !! Believe I read my last Archie comic about age 9 or 10. Found it inane even then.

Resonate with the world

Gay best friend.

Bring it home

Impactful.

That and some whole grain will keep ya regular.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
meh. As with all fictional characters they can just bring him back whenever they want anyway.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
It should be mentioned that Life With Archie is basically an "alternate reality" that portrays Archie and the gang as adults, with Archie being married as just one of the storylines. His death in this storyline won't have any bearing on the main comics (or digests), and in my opinion, even for Archie as an adult in future storylines (Life With Archie ends at #37), as this is just one of many "possible" futures for Archie. Heck, there is a comic series out right now called 'Afterlife With Archie' and it has already killed off many of the main characters even though the comic is only 5 issues old! It would also be considered an "alternate" world for Archie.

Now, if they decided to say that Archie will be dead in the future no matter what (Life With Archie becoming "canon"), I think a lot of fans would be pissed off. One thing I enjoy about reading the various Archie digests is that most real-world problems don't rear their ugly heads in them. To me, they are light reading before I go to bed, good for some chuckles. I like the Afterlife With Archie comic (I collect it) as it is obviously NOT canon. I hope the same will be said for Life With Archie as well.

And the gay character in the comics is Kevin Keller. Although, for them to say that he is Archie's best friend is wrong. His best friend is actually Jughead (real name Forsythe) Jones.;)

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
It should be mentioned that Life With Archie is basically an "alternate reality" that portrays Archie and the gang as adults, with Archie being married as just one of the storylines. His death in this storyline won't have any bearing on the main comics (or digests), and in my opinion, even for Archie as an adult in future storylines (Life With Archie ends at #37), as this is just one of many "possible" futures for Archie. Heck, there is a comic series out right now called 'Afterlife With Archie' and it has already killed off many of the main characters even though the comic is only 5 issues old! It would also be considered an "alternate" world for Archie.

Now, if they decided to say that Archie will be dead in the future no matter what (Life With Archie becoming "canon"), I think a lot of fans would be pissed off. One thing I enjoy about reading the various Archie digests is that most real-world problems don't rear their ugly heads in them. To me, they are light reading before I go to bed, good for some chuckles. I like the Afterlife With Archie comic (I collect it) as it is obviously NOT canon. I hope the same will be said for Life With Archie as well.

And the gay character in the comics is Kevin Keller. Although, for them to say that he is Archie's best friend is wrong. His best friend is actually Jughead (real name Forsythe) Jones.;)

Why does this guy come to mind?

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
'Archie' cartoonist Tom Moore dies
The Associated Press
First posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 07:38 PM EDT | Updated: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 07:45 PM EDT
EL PASO, Texas -- Tom Moore, the "Archie" cartoonist who brought to life the escapades of a freckled-face, red-haired character, has died in Texas. He was 86.
Moore, who began drawing cartoons while in the U.S. Navy during the Korean War, died early Monday morning while in hospice care in his hometown of El Paso, his son Lito Bujanda-Moore told The Associated Press on Tuesday. He said his father was diagnosed with throat cancer within the past week and chose not to undergo treatment.
Moore drew Archie Andrews and his friends on and off from 1953 until he retired in the late 1980s. Annual sales of the comic regularly surpassed half a million during the 1960s, according to the El Paso Times.
"I did one comic book a month," Moore told the newspaper in 1996. "I did everything. We always worked six months ahead. I'd be doing Christmas issues in June and beach stories with a foot of snow outside my window."
After the war, Moore used funding available through the GI Bill to attend a school in New York for cartoonists. He studied under "Tarzan" comic strip illustrator Burne Hogarth.
Soon after, Moore signed up with Archie Comics in New York. Bob Montana created "Archie" in 1941, and Moore took over in 1953.
But by 1961, Moore couldn't ignore the itch to be closer to the mountains of far western Texas, according to his son. He and his family moved from Long Island, New York, back to his native El Paso that year, and he later took a break from comics and worked in public relations.
"He always felt that his heart belonged at the foot of the Franklin Mountains," Moore's son, Lito Bujanda-Moore, told the newspaper.
Bujanda-Moore said he father loved every aspect of nature: trees, rivers, mountains and deserts. One year the family cooked their Thanksgiving meal at home, then took all of it out to the desert just east of El Paso.
"We would be able to have a great Thanksgiving dinner under the stars," he said.
Archie Comics' editor in chief, Victor Gorelick, who has worked at the company for more than 50 years, said Moore "was a cartoonist's cartoonist." He noted that Archie Comics invited Moore back to help revamp Archie's friend, Jughead, and remained with the company until he retired.
"Tom was very funny and had a knack for putting together really great, hilarious gags and special pages when he worked at Archie," Gorelick said. "He was probably best known here for inking our 'Jughead' relaunch decades ago. We're all sad to hear this news and wish his family the very best during this time."
After retiring, Moore kept tabs on Archie -- and disagreed when the comic book company decided to kill off the character.
The El Paso Museum of Art displayed some of Moore's work and his vast comic collection about 20 years ago.
"I have enjoyed what I've done and I am pleased that others liked it, too," Moore said at the time. "I think it's such a kick that my stuff is going to be hanging at the museum. Who knew Archie would have such universal appeal?"
Along with his son, Moore and his wife of 63 years, Ruth, also raised a daughter, Holly Mathew.
Bujanda-Moore said there will be a celebration of his father's life in coming weeks.
Archie Andrews, Veronica Lodge (L) and Betty Cooper (R) are shown in this Archie Comic Publications, Inc image released to Reuters on June 7, 2013. (REUTERS/Courtesy of Archie Comic Publications, Inc./Handout via Reuters)

'Archie' cartoonist Tom Moore dies | Books | Entertainment | Toronto Sun