Anyone like Dixieland jazz ??

Count_Lothian

Time Out
Apr 6, 2014
Back in the day , and i think they still do this Saturday afternoon gig at Grossman's Tavern on spadina a band cal Kid Sebatien and the happy pals would do an authentique New Orleans afternoon , that ended with this womean with a fancy umbrella who would lead a line dance weaving in and out the bar tables...

lots of fun..

When You and I Were Young, Maggie - YouTube

Happy Pals Flip Flop Fly - YouTube

new gal new umbrella
Happy Pals Blues@Grossman's Tavern - YouTube

We Ain't Rich or Famous but We're The Happy Pals - YouTube

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Dixieland Jazz is always kool. I remember seeing different bands playing for free in NYC parks back in the day. Here in Gopherland, Chicago blues is the preferred genre but Dixie has its share of fans as well.

Count_Lothian

Time Out
Apr 6, 2014
Dixieland Jazz is always kool. I remember seeing different bands playing for free in NYC parks back in the day. Here in Gopherland, Chicago blues is the preferred genre but Dixie has its share of fans as well.
I would love to visit some classic Blues bars in chicago.
Man!!

there was this weird bar in the NYU area i visited on a couple trips to NYC back in the 80's

It was i think on the corner or near Houston and Bleeker..Artuoro's (bad spelling)....but they had jazz and this one time a blues band..
great steak ...I bought it cause it was called on the menue

Coal cook Steak with Collard Greens...

yummy....everyone around me was have pasta and clams of some variety ...i can still recall this uber cool NY guy makinf with hs hand gesture of approval when this huge pasta dish with clams and mussels came to him....

ok too much memory lane...

they had one washroom for both male and female and there was a bathtub in it.

For a kid from toronto this was all too much.

actually i wans't a kid but by my age standards a thirty something is a kid...lol

i love jazz and blues live.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
I would love to visit some classic Blues bars in chicago.
Man!!

there was this weird bar in the NYU area i visited on a couple trips to NYC back in the 80's

It was i think on the corner or near Houston and Bleeker..Artuoro's (bad spelling)....but they had jazz and this one time a blues band..
great steak ...I bought it cause it was called on the menue

Coal cook Steak with Collard Greens...

i love jazz and blues live.

There is an Arturo's Pizza on Houston Street where they play jazz. Perhaps that's the one you mean. I didn't know they had steak as their pizza is well regarded.

Or perhaps you meant the Blue Note on West 3d where they have good steak & shrimp cocktail. They always had great jazz stars - I remember seeing Nat Adderley there MANY moons ago. The Village Vanguard was another place I went to. I know there were more but cannot recall their names at the moment.

Greenwich Village always has had great places for food and entertainment. But back in the late 70s/ early 80s some of the best jazz/Latino concerts were open air FREE events. How lucky I was to be able to see so many of them.