Black Sabbath to top the bill at British Summer Time festival at Hyde Park

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Black Sabbath are to play at this year's British Summer Time (BST) festival in London's Hyde Park.

The Birmingham downer rock band, who invented heavy metal, are to play the opening night of the festival - which has been nicknamed Black Sabbath Time (BST) - on July 4th.

Vocalist/harmonica player Ozzy Osbourne, guitarist Tony Iommi, and bass player Geezer Butler formed Black Sabbath in 1969 - back in those heady days when England were football's world champions and Man set foot on the Moon - along with drummer Bill Ward.

There have been rumours that Bill will rejoin the band soon for a new album but Iommi, who is recovering from lymphoma, has said the band are currently too busy for a new album at the moment.

Their latest album, last year's 13, reached number one in several countries.

In January Sabbath won three awards at the Classis Rock Roll of Honour in London - the living legend award; album of the year for 13; and event of the year,
after 13 topped album charts worldwide and scored them their biggest US hit.

Support acts will include Soundgarden and Faith No More.

Neil Young and McBusted are also amongst the acts, who will perform not only in front of revellers but also in front of royals.

Black Sabbath to top Hyde Park bill

Black Sabbath will headline at the British Summer Time festival in Hyde Park

30th March 2014
Showbiz News
TalkTalk

Veteran rockers Black Sabbath are to top the bill at an outdoor show at London's Hyde Park this summer.

They are the latest headline act to be announced for the British Summer Time festival and will play the opening night of the event on July 4.

The band fronted by Ozzy Osbourne and featuring Geezer Butler and Tony Iommi made a major comeback last year with a number one album and sell-out tour.

Vocalist and harmonica player Osbourne said: "The first time I came to London I didn't have a pot to p--- in and I spent the advance I got for the first album on a new pair of shoes and some Brut aftershave.

He continued: "Returning almost 50 years on we are doing a bit better for ourselves, so I may even splash out on some new aftershave before taking to the stage at Hyde Park - the most beautiful park in London - that has opened its gates to so many legends in the past. We are beyond honoured to be allowed to put on a show and hope that the royals will enjoy it."

Guitarist Tommy Iommi was diagnosed with cancer in 2012 but said recently that he expects to finish treatment this year.

Osbourne relapsed last year and reverted to drinking and drug-taking after several years of sobriety, prompting his wife, Sharon, to leave him. He is now back on the wagon and attending Alcoholics Anonymous meetings.

Support acts include Soundgarden and Faith No More.

Other headliners for the event, staged from July 4 to 13, which have already been announced include Neil Young and McBusted.

Tickets go on sale generally from Friday at 9am, although there are some pre-sale tickets available from tomorrow, with further details at bst-hydepark.com.

Black Sabbath picked up three awards at the Classic Rock Roll of Honour in London in January

Barclaycard presents BST Hyde Park: Black Sabbath:

Barclaycard presents BST Hyde Park | Black Sabbath 4th July Teaser - YouTube

Sabbath performing new song Loner:

"Loner" (Official Music Video) - Black Sabbath - YouTube

Black Sabbath - Electric Funeral. From their 1970 album Paranoid:

Black Sabbath - Electric Funeral - YouTube

Black Sabbath - Behind the Wall of Sleep/NIB. From their 1970 eponymously titled album.

Behind The Wall Of Sleep - Black Sabbath - YouTube

Black Sabbath to top Hyde Park bill

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
It certainly beats staying in Canada and watching Nickelback or Shania Twain.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Black sabbath is highly over rated. In fact, they might even suck the big green wiener.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

Compared to Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin's bluesy type of rock is poncy and girly compared to Sabbath's loud, detuned, dark, heavy metal.

I like some of Led Zeppelin's songs, but they aren't a patch on Sabbath.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Compared to Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin's bluesy type of rock is poncy and girly compared to Sabbath's loud, detuned, dark, heavy metal.

I like some of Led Zeppelin's songs, but they aren't a patch on Sabbath.

For the love of god man, the next thing you know you'll be trying to convince people that the beatles were actually any good at all. Save yourself while you still can. :lol:

There is a bustle in your hedgerow sir.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
For the love of god man, the next thing you know you'll be trying to convince people that the beatles were actually any good at all. Save yourself while you still can. :lol:

The Beatles are the best-selling band in history, with estimate sales of over 600 million records worldwide.

They have had more number-one albums on the British charts and sold more singles in the UK than any other act.

They are the best-selling band ever in the US, with 177 million certified units.

They hold the record for most number-one hits on America's Hot 100 chart with 20 (compared to 13 for Michael Jackson).

They were collectively included in Time magazine's compilation of the 20th century's 100 most influential people.

In 2004, Rolling Stone ranked the Beatles as the greatest artist (not just band, but artist) of all time.

I think those stats speak for themselves. Statistically, at least, The Beatles are not only the greatest band but the greatest music artist of all time.

Last edited: