Probably the Only Hugh Laurie fan here but...

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I just bought tickets to his May 20th show at the Vancouver Orpheum. Can hardly wait....

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Hugh Laurie is a genius. A brilliant comedy actor, in shows such as Blackadder and a A Bit of Fry and Laurie and, also, a brilliant blues musician with a brilliant voice (as well as providing the vocals he also plays several instruments, including piano and guitar, in his two blues albums).

He's also written two novels, The Gun Seller, an intricate thriller laced with Wodehousian humour, and The Paper Soldier.

Add to that the fact that he's also a director and also rowed for Cambridge in the 1980 University Boat Race against Oxford (Cambridge lost by just 5 feet) and it seems that there's nothing he hasn't done.

He's one of those people who's good at anything they try.

Last edited:

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Hugh Laurie is a genius. A brilliant comedy actor, in shows such as Blackadder and a A Bit of Fry and Laurie and, also, a brilliant blues musician with a brilliant voice (as well as providing the vocals he also plays several instruments, including piano and guitar, in his two blues albums).

He's also written two novels, The Gun Seller, an intricate thriller laced with Wodehousian humour, and The Paper Soldier.

Add to that the fact that he's also a director and also rowed for Cambridge in the 1980 University Boat Race against Oxford (Cambridge lost by just 5 feet) and it seems that there's nothing he hasn't done.

He's one of those people who's good at anything they try.

didn't know about the novels. Think I'll head to Chapters today and pick them up. He was in another comedy sketch show with Stephen Fry...Worster and Jeeves. In Black Adder, wasn't he the Scarlet Pimpernel? or was he after the Scarlet Pimpernel?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
didn't know about the novels. Think I'll head to Chapters today and pick them up. He was in another comedy sketch show with Stephen Fry...Worster and Jeeves. In Black Adder, wasn't he the Scarlet Pimpernel? or was he after the Scarlet Pimpernel?

No. In the episode that the Scarlet Pimpernel appeared (Nob and Nobility, 1987), the one in which the disgusting Baldrick (played by amateur historian, Time Team presenter and Labour Party activist Sir Tony Robinson) wore a false boil on his face "in admiration for the great Pimple and his brilliant disguises" but which didn't impress the Francophobic Blackadder, Laurie played George, the Prince Regent (the future King George IV; George III's son and Queen Victoria's uncle). He played Prince George in all the episodes of Blackadder The Third (1987), which was set during the Regency Period. He also played Prince George in the 1988 Christmas special Blackadder's Christmas Carol.

Blackadder Season 03 Episode 03 - Nob and Nobility - Dailymotion-Video

In an episode of Blackadder II (1986), which was set in Elizabethan England, he played Simon Partridge, one of Blackadder's friends who came over to Blackadder's place for a binge-drinking session at a rather inopportune time - a time when Blackadder's Puritan anti-alcohol aunt (played by Miriam Margoyles) also came to visit, and Blackadder was desperate for her to give him his inheritance money (naturally, with all that was going on, he failed miserably in this endeavour).

In another episode of Blackadder II Laurie played the baddie, the evil German Prince Ludwig the Indestructible, who imprisons Blackadder and Lord Melchett (played by Laurie's comedy partner, and now QI presenter, Stephen Fry) in a dungeon.

In Blackadder Goes Forth (1989), set in the trenches of a WWI battlefield, he plays Lt. The Hon. George Colthurst St Barleigh.

In Blackadder: Back and Forth (1999), a one-off episode, he played two characters: Viscount George Bufton-Tufton and Consul Georgius, a Roman stationed with Centurion Blaccadius and Legionary Baldricus on Hadrian's Wall when they come under attack from a "large orange hedge" moving towards them, which turns out to be a load of Scots.

Last edited:

Count_Lothian

Time Out
Apr 6, 2014
I forget where I first saw him on television playing music. I was stunned.
I loved him in house. And think I shall download his music, he owes me,I'm a fan.
lol!