Britain's Great War

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
In a landmark new BBC history series which started last night, Jeremy Paxman (presenter of BBC's Newsnight and BBC's University Challenge) describes how the First World War transformed the lives of the British people, and helped shape modern Britain.

1. War Comes to Britain

Jeremy Paxman traces the story of the dramatic early stages of the war, from stunned disbelief (with British politicians, in the age of the British stiff upper lip, actually weeping, something which shocked the American ambassador) to the mass recruitment of volunteer soldiers.

Fear of invasion grips the country, Boy Scouts guard bridges, and spies are suspected everywhere. For the first time, British civilians are fired on by enemy ships and bombed from the air. Paxman meets a 105-year-old eyewitness to the shelling of Hartlepool, who describes how she thought the Germans had landed.

Total war has come to Britain.

Watch last night's episode 1: BBC iPlayer - Britain's Great War: War Comes to Britain

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
Only those that have never experienced it would ever say anything like "War is great".

War is hell on everyone that is a participant. But, sometimes, wars are necessary, to curb evil; to stop aggression; to prevent the massacure of others, etc., etc.

I've been there, and done that. I found nothing "glorious" about war.

As to World War I, Britain had no business even getting involved. This started out as a conflict between Austria-Hungry and Serbia. Then the Russians declared war as allies of the Serbs. The French declared war, because they supported the Russians. Great Britain declared war, because they supported the French.

If all of the stupid outsiders had just kept their noses where they belonged, that war would have never happened. There would have been no Hitler, no World War II, etc.

The Western European countries quite literally brought all of this upon themselves.