Why adding Luke, Leia and Han to 'Star Wars 7' could be a bad thing

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Why adding Luke, Leia and Han to 'Star Wars 7' could be a bad thing
By Steve Tilley ,QMI Agency
First posted: Friday, January 17, 2014 12:03 PM EST | Updated: Friday, January 17, 2014 02:12 PM EST
Barring any tragic circumstances, we will all be old someday. And some of us – ahem – are closer to old age than others.
I know this. I embrace this. And yet I’m discovering a strange, dark blot on my otherwise sunny personality: I think I might be ageist.
I’ve reached this conclusion after spending days mulling over the rumours that 2015’s Star Wars: Episode VII, the continuation of the saga that began way back in 1977, will focus on Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia and Han Solo as the film’s primary characters.
And unless there are some incredible advances in CGI over the next few months, this presumably means original trilogy stars Mark Hamill (Luke), Carrie Fisher (Leia) and Harrison Ford (Han) will indeed be signing on for the movie.
They are, respectively, 62, 57 and 71 years old. And I have a problem with that.
Why adding Luke, Leia and Han to 'Star Wars 7' could be a bad thing | Movies | Entertainment | Toronto Sun

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
It is ageist.

If the film is about when those three characters are older than they were in the original Stars Wars films then it's commonsense to have older people playing them. To ban anyone over sixty from appearing in a movie is ridiculous. That would entail putting heavy make-up on younger actors to make them appear older when they are playing an older character (unless you also bar older characters appearing in any film).

Or it could be the case that the films is about when those three characters are younger than they were in the original Star Wars films of the Seventies, in which case they'd get younger actors playing them.