James Avery, television's Uncle Phil, dead at 68

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
James Avery, television's Uncle Phil, dead at 68
WENN.com
First posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2014 02:50 PM EST | Updated: Wednesday, January 01, 2014 09:34 PM EST
Fresh Prince Of Bel Air star James Avery has died, aged 68.
Alfonso Ribeiro, who played his TV son on the hit show, took to his Facebook page to break the sad news on Wednesday, calling Avery “a second father”.
He added, “I will miss him greatly.”
Avery recently underwent surgery for an undisclosed illness. He passed away on New Year’s Eve.
He also appeared on TV shows like That ’70s Show, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation and Grey’s Anatomy.
James Avery, most commonly known as Uncle Phil from the popular '90s Will Smith sitcom the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, has died at the age of 65. (Courtesy)

James Avery, television's Uncle Phil, dead at 68 | Celebrities | Entertainment | Toronto Sun

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
His "son" in Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Alfonso Ribeiro, was in the 2013 series of British reality TV show I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here!, in which a group of celebrities have to survive snakes, spiders and other creepy-crawlies by taking part in scary Bushtucker Trials in the Australian jungle in New South Wales with the last one standing being crowned "King/Queen of the Jungle". Ribeiro finished 7th out of 12 (which includes two celebs who entered the jungle during the series), leaving the jungle on day 19. Westlife member Kian Egan was crowned the 2013 King of the Jungle.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Stars pay tribute to 'Uncle Phil' James Avery
WENN.COM
First posted: Thursday, January 02, 2014 09:00 AM EST | Updated: Thursday, January 02, 2014 09:14 AM EST
James Avery's famous friends, fans and former colleagues have paid tribute to The Fresh Prince of Bel Air star following his death on Tuesday.
The actor, who played Uncle Phil in the popular 1990s sitcom, died following complications from open heart surgery, and the sad news has prompted an outpouring of grief among his friends and co-stars.
Will Smith and his wife Jada Pinkett Smith, who met on the set of the Fresh Prince Of Bel Air, were among the first to send their condolences to Avery's family, with Jada writing in a post on Facebook.com, "Happy New Year everyone! I was hoping to start the new year differently but we have lost yet another friend. James Avery who we all lovingly know as Uncle Phil from The Fresh Prince has passed. Our condolences to aunt Florence (his mother), Miss Barbara (his wife) and all those who loved him. Rest in peace James."
Another star of the show, Tatyana Ali, who played Avery's onscreen daughter, adds in a post on Twitter.com, "James was my teacher my protector & the most magnificent actor. We're feeling his loss very deeply. He'll always be apart of me," while model/actress Tyra Banks, who also had a role in the comedy, writes, "Sending condolences to the family of James Avery, 'Uncle Phil' of the Fresh Prince. I'll always remember how warm he was to me on set."
Stars pay tribute to 'Uncle Phil' James Avery | Celebrities | Entertainment | Toronto Sun