Karl Pilkington: The Moaning of Life

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The hilarious, bald, Manc twonk Karl Pilkington - the loveably grumpy star of all three series of Sky 1 HD's comedy travel show An Idiot Abroad - is back with a brand new comedy, globe-hopping series on Sky 1 HD.

One of the modern world's greatest philosophers: Karl again lets loose his hilarious views on life whilst travelling around the world

The Moaning of Life follows Karl around the world as he visits other cultures. Unlike An Idiot Abroad, which had a similar premise (in which, however, he seemed to hate every minute of foreign travel), The Moaning of Life sees Karl actually choosing to visit other cultures, rather than having his friends Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merhcant force him to go there as they did in An Idiot Abroad, in order to see how they face up to some of life's biggest issues.

“I’ve been on the planet for 40 years now, and I’m still none the wiser as to what it’s all about really,” explained Karl, “I've never worried about life’s big questions. People at my age sit about pondering about ‘why are we here?’ The only time I ever asked meself that is when Suzanne booked us a surprise holiday to Lanzarote."

Richard Yee and Krishnendu Majumdar from production company Me & You Productions which made An Idiot Abroad, were surprised that Karl actually signed up for more uncomfortable travelling and embarrassment. “We can’t believe Karl’s agreed to go back on the road with us after what we’ve put him through for the last three years,” they said.

While filming the three series of An Idiot Abroad, grumpy average-Joe Karl Pilkington travelled to China where he ended up in a dwarf village; went to Egypt where he got hassled in the markets; ended up in Mexico where he got chased by a horse; in India where he met a man who can twist his genitals around with a stick, amongst other amazing things.

Back to his usual best, the new series shows him, amongst other things, donning a pregnancy suit and carrying a crying child while bleating: "This is not for me."

He also comments on a new feline friend: "This cat's cross-eyed, I've never seen that before."

Karl also experiences everything from a drive-thru wedding in Las Vegas to a vocational theme park in Japan. He meets a group of people in Mexico who find happiness through pain, undergoes a plastic surgery procedure in LA, and even encounters a woman in Bali who lets him help deliver her baby.

The Moaning of Life, consisting of five one-hour episodes, will air on Sky1 HD this Autumn.

Karl Pilkington - The Moaning of Life Trailer - YouTube

Karl's new book, The Moaning of Life, accompanies the TV series.

The Moaning of Life: watch the new Karl Pilkington trailer now | Radio Times

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Manc funnyman Karl Pilkington's new comedy travel series, The Moaning of Life, has had its last episode pulled in the wake of Typhoon Haiyan.

The episode, which considers how Filipinos deal with death, was deemed "inappropriate" to air after the huge loss of life caused by the disaster.

Karl Pilkington Philippines show shelved by Sky

BBC News
14th November 2013

The last part of Karl Pilkington's Sky One travel show, set in the Philippines, has been pulled in the wake of Typhoon Haiyan.

The episode, which considers how Filipinos deal with death, was deemed "inappropriate" to air after the huge loss of life caused by the disaster.

A re-run of the series' first programme will now be aired on Sunday.

Pilkington, closely linked with comic Ricky Gervais, is also known for his travel series An Idiot Abroad.

Sky One said the programme would be aired at a later date, adding it was "very proud" of the episode and "keen" to screen it "once we feel it is appropriate to do so".

Pilkington's latest series has seen him travel around the world to see how different cultures deal with crucial issues, while facing up to his own concerns as he turns 40.

"I've been on the planet for 40 years now, and I'm still none the wiser as to what it's all about, really," he said of his journey of self-discovery.

Pilkington was initially the producer of Gervais's radio podcasts, but his role on the shows became increasingly prominent. The series was later remade as an animated series for US cable broadcaster HBO.

Last year he made his acting debut alongside Gervais in Channel 4 sitcom Derek.

BBC News - Karl Pilkington Philippines show shelved by Sky