star trek into darkness

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
'Star Trek Into Darkness' is a first class ticket into outer space
By Bruce Kirkland ,QMI Agency
First posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 12:01 AM EDT | Updated: Thursday, May 16, 2013 08:48 AM EDT
Star Trek Into Darkness is a first class ticket into outer space. If you feel the urge, rocket yourself into blockbuster happiness.
This movie is BIG. This movie boldly goes. This movie is intelligent. This movie is a brilliant technical marvel. It even has 3D special effects that go beyond the usual gimmicks employed by Hollywood. In contrast, Shane Black trashes up his summer opus, Iron Man 3, with the gimmicky. The format should enhance our experience, not inconvenience us. In the new Star Trek, 3D actually adds depth to the characters and their dilemmas.
Add it all up and J.J. Abrams has worked a Hollywood miracle with Star Trek Into Darkness. He has made a sequel that is even better than the original. Given that his "original" is a reboot of a 47-year-old franchise, the freshness and vitality of both of his Star Trek movies is astounding.
Star Trek Into Darkness obviously brings back the core cast from Star Trek of 2009. So we get a maturing ensemble built around Chris Pine as James T. Kirk, Zachary Quinto as Spock, Karl Urban as Bones, Simon Pegg as Scotty, Anton Yelchin as Chekov, Zoe Saldana as Uhura, John Cho as Sulu and the peerless Canadian character actor Bruce Greenwood as Christopher Pike. They are all absolutely excellent again.
Newcomers include Alice Eve as Dr. Carol Marcus and -- with far more import -- Benedict Cumberbatch as the film's mysterious, secretive villain. With his steely, haughty, arrogant demeanour as the character, Cumberbatch steals every scene he is in. His story calls for empathy; his actions call for revenge, especially with the hotheaded Kirk at the helm. What results is the making of a true starship Enterprise captain.
All these characters, including the added ones, are familiar. At least to anyone who has ever explored the frontiers of the Star Trek universe, going back to the original television series of 1966-69. In spirit, the reboots are remarkably faithful to the origins of the franchise, its characters and its plotlines.
The casting was ingenious. The similarities are uncanny, even when all the new actors do their own thing. The end of Star Trek Into Darkness makes you feel you could slip into the Shatner-Nimoy era with ease. That is true even though the new movies are set in the 2200s in "an alternate timeline" that gave Abrams' team the freedom to make up their own rules.
The plot of Star Trek Into Darkness is credited to the comic book geek Damon Lindelof as well as the producing-writing team of Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman, who worked on the Transformers franchise and helped Abrams re-launch Star Trek. Orci and Kurtzman knew Abrams from their contributions to his TV series Alias. Their Star Trek movies have something that their Transformers movies do not: a complex plot that makes sense and scans well on-screen. You do not need a team of Trekkers to track it.
Star Trek Into Darkness is built around Cumberbatch's nemesis -- his terrorist acts, the manhunt that ensues and his distressing backstory. This movie makes it clear why he's seeking vengeance -- and how many will die dealing with it. This is a thrilling story told with warp speed energy. The movie sets a highwater mark for the rest of this summer's blockbusters.
bruce.kirkland@sunmedia.ca
'Star Trek Into Darkness' is a first class ticket into outer space | Movies | Entertainment | Toronto Sun

Last edited:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I really, really liked this one. Enjoyed the first one too, the 'reboot', but this one is hands down my favourite of the two.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009

sorry, I didn't know that loc posted this already. the threads can be merged.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Oh well.
Anyway, my bitch about ST movies and the offspring of the original tv show is that all alien life is humanoid (bipedal, bi-ocular, etc.). The original had alien aliens. One was even an intelligent rock.

the other star trek series did sometimes have non humanoid aliens. :)

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
The first hour or so was pretty good. The second half on the other hand was a mess. Ripping off Wrath of Khan was extremely annoying. I dont mean using Khan. I don't mind that part. I think Cumberbatch's performance was the best thing about the new movie. I mean the fake Kirk "death" scene where they actually took the words line for line right out of Wrath of Khan. Even the shots were the same. The only difference was Kirk and Spock traded places. Then Spock yelling "Khan!!" was laughable. Seriously. I saw it in theatres and a lot of people laughed at that part. I have a feeling that death scene was not supposed to be funny. If they had left Kirk dead it would have been better. At least when Wrath of Khan ended Spock was still dead and no one thought he would be coming back. In this movie Kirk was "dead" for five minutes.

My only other complaint was that there was too much action and too little plot and character development. Really take the action out and the movie is about the length of one episode without commercials (45 minutes). It was really well done action and the special effects were awesome but really, if the plot is thin and I dont care about the characters in the action it looses its effect. It just becomes dull eye candy with little to no re-watch value.

It was also funny that the supposed villain, Khan, was justified with most of his actions. The Admiral he skull crushed seemed to be the real villain to me.

Oh well.
Anyway, my bitch about ST movies and the offspring of the original tv show is that all alien life is humanoid (bipedal, bi-ocular, etc.). The original had alien aliens. One was even an intelligent rock.

Q, The Prophets, Pah-wraiths, Changelings, the Xindi (3 of the species anyway), the crystalline entity, cytoplasmic life form, species 8472. Those are the ones I can think of off hand. All in the sequel series.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
I also thought that it was funny that john Harrison/khan looked and sounded nothing like someone who is supposed to be from north india. ;)

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I also thought that it was funny that john Harrison/khan looked and sounded nothing like someone who is supposed to be from north india. ;)

They didnt put this in the movie but I figure they would have simply altered his appearance surgically. Think about it, this guy was a well known historical figure who ruled a fairly large Empire for awhile. If you saw Hitler or Stalin walking down the streets you'd probably notice. If you're waking up someone like that and using them in public it would make sense to change their appearance as well as their name.

Also for the record Ricardo Montalban sounded and looked nothing like an Indian or a Sikh either. Looked more like a Mexican of Spanish descent. :p

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
They didnt put this in the movie but I figure they would have simply altered his appearance surgically. Think about it, this guy was a well known historical figure who ruled a fairly large Empire for awhile. If you saw Hitler or Stalin walking down the streets you'd probably notice. If you're waking up someone like that and using them in public it would make sense to change their appearance as well as their name.

Also for the record Ricardo Montalban sounded and looked nothing like an Indian or a Sikh either. Looked more like a Mexican of Spanish descent. :p
I'm not sure about how well known he was. in the episode space seed, the enterprise crew did not know who he was until he told them and they did a background check afterward.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I'm not sure about how well known he was. in the episode space seed, the enterprise crew did not know who he was until he told them and they did a background check afterward.

Because they werent all historians. Three hundred years is a long time. The historian figured it out pretty quickly without looking him up. When the others did look him up they found pics of him in the computer. People in Enterprise 100 years earlier knew about him. If there was a photographic record of him at all and it was known that he was genetically engineered and ruled an empire it would make sense to either alter his appearance or hide him. If he wasnt very well known they would not have changed his name either. Really, Khan is a pretty common name with Sikhs. The one thing that bothered me about him in this movie aside from going psycho for no reason at the end was his magical blood.

Because it's Star Trek and it's cool. In a geeky, nerdy sort of way, but cool none the less.

That is the only legitimate cool.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
I was surprised that the 5 year mission was brought up. I know it was taken from the original series. since the timeline was altered by nero, I thought that the length of their mission would have been left open.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I was surprised that the 5 year mission was brought up. I know it was taken from the original series. since the timeline was altered by nero, I thought that the length of their mission would have been left open.

Perhaps it will. Im surprised they're doing this seeing as their fleet was wiped out in the first film and they suffered a lot of damage in the second.

Oh, I quite loved this take on the movie. They did one for the 09 film as well.

Honest Trailers - Star Trek Into Darkness (feat. HISHE) - YouTube

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I had a sudden craving for twizzlers when they went to that planet with the twizzler forest. It wore off by the time I got to the snack bar and I bought Goodies.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I've seen it. I bought it for just a fiver on DVD at Sainsbury's.

Benedict "Sherlock Holmes" Cumberbatch plays a good baddie - but then the English always do, for some reason. That's why Englishmen always play the bad guys in American films.