CRTC issues deadline on wireless 911 services

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
CRTC issues deadline on wireless 911 services

OTTAWA -- Wireless service companies have been given a year to introduce new technology allowing 911 operators to pinpoint the location of a cellphone caller during an emergency.

On Monday, the federal regulator outlined rules that will require cellphone carriers such as Rogers Communications, Telus Mobility or Bell Mobility to locate a wireless 911 call to within a radius of 10 metres to 300 metres on most calls.

Even cellphones without GPS capability can be pinpointed to the same accuracy by triangulation from several towers.

CTV.ca | CRTC issues deadline on wireless 911 services

Now you know why you pay the 911 fee.. :)

Last edited:

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
About four years ago a friend of mine (who happens to be on the fire department) got a call from a friend at one in the morning saying that he was in an accident. He wasn't coherent and couldn't say where he was, only that he was in between Brooks and Bow Island. Our department and five others spent hours looking for him. With the technology today they can easily do this, and should do it.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
About four years ago a friend of mine (who happens to be on the fire department) got a call from a friend at one in the morning saying that he was in an accident. He wasn't coherent and couldn't say where he was, only that he was in between Brooks and Bow Island. Our department and five others spent hours looking for him. With the technology today they can easily do this, and should do it.

I totally agree... I have said this in other posts that if you download Google Maps on a regular Cell phone it will show you within that range where you are.. No GPS, No Special adapter.. Its pretty cool..