Motorola L2

tann

May 13, 2005
I wasnt a good, basic phone. I certainly don't need a camera or other bells and whistles. Is this a good quality phone?

snowles

Electoral Member
May 21, 2006
Atikokan, Ontario
tann said:
I wasnt a good, basic phone. I certainly don't need a camera or other bells and whistles. Is this a good quality phone?

No, it's an even cheaper, crappier version of the L6 Slvr, which itself is a crappier version of the L7. If you've ever held an L6, you'll know what I mean. I've almost broke about half a dozen of them by bending the aluminum backing on them just getting to the battery/sim card.

If you're looking for a basic good phone and like the flip phones, get a Motorola V551. I know the Source has them at $0 on a three-year contract with Rogers. I have a Samsung P207 and am quite happy with it as well. Small, easy to use and awesome battery life.

I haven't played much with the newer Nokia 6103 or the Samsung X507, so I'm unsure, but what I've seen they seem quite decent. All of the aforementioned are under $60 on a contract.

The thing to consider is what the phone costs with no activation (as you can see on the Rogers site). That's what the phone's 'store cost' is around. In the case of the L2, it's only $229; most basic, decent flip phones have a cost at least $100 more than that - stay away.

tann

May 13, 2005
I have a FIDO plan and none of the phones you mentioned are available. Any FIDO recs?

snowles

Electoral Member
May 21, 2006
Atikokan, Ontario
tann said:
I have a FIDO plan and none of the phones you mentioned are available. Any FIDO recs?

The Motorola V360 is supposed to be alright. I'm waiting to get some in to test them, but the dummy versions (exact weight and size and look but made of plastic) seem to be quite nice. The Samsung SGH-D407 seems alright as well (also waiting for some); both are under $60 on the Fido contract. If you want even simpler, I've heard some good things about the LG phones (the 1500 in particular), and they're all cheap on a contract as well.

The thing to look for, as I was saying in another thread, is the cost of the phone without a contract, or 'no activation'. It's about the equivalent to the store's cost of the phone. If it's super cheap, it's a cheaply made phone.

For example, I've seen so many Motorola V220s come in busted it's unreal. It's a $0 phone on a contract, as is the Motorola V551, which is also $0, but because its cost is over $350 (compared to just over $200 for the V220), I see a lot fewer of them come in with problems.

Edit: I just got a case of the Motorola V360s in and will test them one on Monday.