Fido vs. Telus/Clearnet

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I personally prefer Telus to Fido anyday. I'm currently a fido customer but plan to move over to telus in the soon future :)

bogie

Electoral Member
Jun 21, 2002
Barrie, ON Canada
maltesefalcon.bogart.com
FIDO is only good in certain areas. The best service I have had is with Rogers. They own the largest cell coverage area.

To validate, I have Bell, Telus, and Rogers, cellphones. My brother used FIDO all over Ontario and finally got rid of it because of too many problems in service and quality. Telus, unless things have changed very recently, tags onto Rogers service (by agreement) when you are out of the Telus coverage area. I also find that Telus (formerly Clearnet) has "echo" on the line in most areas - gets annoying. It is the "clearest" service otherwise when in their strong areas (like Toronto).

grs7

Jul 2, 2002
Toronto
Fido vs Clearnet/Telus

I agree with Bogie. I am currently using fido and find it does not have as big a coverage area as the Telus phone I had before.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
The coverage of Fido isn't the best. The reason for this is because they are the pioneers of GSM (Global System for Mobile) in Canada. Rogers has recently tapped into this.

The service with fido in the areas that it covers best is probably the best clarity and enhanced features you can get. Although, as I said, Rogers has come into the GSM market and I'm not sure how the service of Rogers and Fido GSM compares.

Only main problem i've had with Fido is that it does not work in Wasaga beach.

Shmad

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
Cache Creek, BC
www.justrant.com
Telus has one of the widest coverage areas of the providers in question right now. Although their customer service leaves some to be desired, they are still one of the best cellular providers in Canada at the moment. Fido has its issues like coverage areas, etc as well.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Shmad, you're not really correct.. Telus in Ontario was clearNET, and their coverage sucked ass. The coverage in eastern canada really does suck, even in metropolitan areas.

Fido on the otherhand does lack coverage in rural areas, but its the best provider in urban, suburban and even in the covered rural areas.

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
I can only tell that Rogers has also biggest coverage, but it uses TDMA communication protocol ant it is "Hard handoff" Telus uses CDMA and it is "Soft Handoff"
CDMA uses "Spread spectrum" digital modulation, that is dominant in todays cell technologie.

Thanks
http://www.arcx.com/sites/CDMAvsTDMA.htm

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
bogie said:
FIDO is only good in certain areas. The best service I have had is with Rogers. They own the largest cell coverage area.

To validate, I have Bell, Telus, and Rogers, cellphones. My brother used FIDO all over Ontario and finally got rid of it because of too many problems in service and quality. Telus, unless things have changed very recently, tags onto Rogers service (by agreement) when you are out of the Telus coverage area. I also find that Telus (formerly Clearnet) has "echo" on the line in most areas - gets annoying. It is the "clearest" service otherwise when in their strong areas (like Toronto).

I don't think that Telus tags onto Rogers' service because they operate on totally different networks. Telus operates on the CDMA and Rogers operates on the TDMA network. Maybe you're talking about the analog signals? Bell and Telus operates on CDMA, Rogers and Fido operates on GSM (1900mhz). Rogers also operates on TDMA networks. GSM in Canada is still spotty because Rogers only started rolling it out last summer. They are also rolling out with the 850mhz GSM in the rural areas to help improve reception.

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
Rogers sucks a$$

I have had a fido cell phone rogers bell and telus and my telus cell phone is way better then them all.Fido you don't have very much coverage,bell the plans just suck and rogers at&t hide alot of bull shyt and don't tell you untill after you have signed the 2 year contract shyt.But telus has given me no problems and the coverage is awsome. :D :twisted:[/quote][/i][/b]

Vincent_2002

Electoral Member
Mar 27, 2002
Montréal, Quebec
I like GSM1900, but Fido is terrible and Rogers is rude as hell. Telus has nice phones, semi-friendly customer service (who all refuse to admit GSM is the best technology) but operate on CDMA which provides for less bandwidth.

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
Telus is way better than Rogers. At leat half the time when I speak to someone on a Rogers phone (fromn my land line) I cannot hear them properly, they cut out a lot or the call is lost. Fido has grat reception, but only works inside a major city. There is no service say, on the 401 from Ottawa to Toronto, which is a shitty deal. Telus has fairly good reception, good plans and excellent coverage.

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
Only one person knows what the HELL he is talking about...Fido service has the most advanced features...GSM is the largest system in the world, it's small here only because North America just didn't want to follow the same path. Fido and Rogers GSM network are still growing...and the phones..you can't get better value and more features than a GSM phone.

Rogers as big as they are has a good range, but so does Bell. They are both big companies have different signal coverage. CDMA and TDMA...both different, but at the sametime very simular.. Also don't forget Telus is a big company also from the West using CDMA.

Not look at this...Bell, Telus and Rogers have phones you pay for, but can't control...they control them. Fido has a GSM phone...open it up and move it anywhere...Fido and now Rogers of true World Phones...

I'll rate them for you....
Bell 9 = Only because they control the phone
Rogers 9 = Only because they control the phone
Telus 7 = Nice phones, bad coverage(unknown reason since the tag on to Bell)
Fido 8 = Would be a perfect ten, just for the phones...would be higher once they get stronger GSM signal play

Fido is still the best only because they get all the new toys first...BlueTooth and SuperGSM offering real time video...Just think of how much fun people on the other side of the globe are having.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Kpalm said:
Only one person knows what the HELL he is talking about...Fido service has the most advanced features...GSM is the largest system in the world, it's small here only because North America just didn't want to follow the same path. Fido and Rogers GSM network are still growing...and the phones..you can't get better value and more features than a GSM phone.

Rogers as big as they are has a good range, but so does Bell. They are both big companies have different signal coverage. CDMA and TDMA...both different, but at the sametime very simular.. Also don't forget Telus is a big company also from the West using CDMA.

Not look at this...Bell, Telus and Rogers have phones you pay for, but can't control...they control them. Fido has a GSM phone...open it up and move it anywhere...Fido and now Rogers of true World Phones...

I'll rate them for you....
Bell 9 = Only because they control the phone
Rogers 9 = Only because they control the phone
Telus 7 = Nice phones, bad coverage(unknown reason since the tag on to Bell)
Fido 8 = Would be a perfect ten, just for the phones...would be higher once they get stronger GSM signal play

Fido is still the best only because they get all the new toys first...BlueTooth and SuperGSM offering real time video...Just think of how much fun people on the other side of the globe are having.

Atleast someone in Canada seems to know that GSM is of superior technological advances. Telus seems to fly high because of their silver shiny flip phones and their monkies and frogs, but their quality just isnt there when you're having a conversation on their phones!

I also don't like the fact they want me to sign up for 3 year contracts.. I mean, come on! How great could their service be if they want me to be tied in for a whole 3 years!!!