Is There No Limit To Some People's Stupidity?

SLM
+1
iPhone users target of 'Wave' microwave-charging hoax

The iPhone 6, at left, and iPhone 6 plus are shown next to each other during a new product release, in Cupertino, Calif. on Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014. (AP / Marcio Jose Sanchez)

Published Tuesday, September 23, 2014 10:49AM EDT
Last Updated Tuesday, September 23, 2014 12:23PM EDT A fake Apple ad making the rounds online claims that iPhone users can charge their devices wirelessly in the microwave.
The ad, which shares many design characteristics with official Apple advertising, describes a new 'Wave' feature in iOS 8, the latest mobile operating system released for Apple's mobile device users.
"You can now Wave-charge your device by placing it within a household microwave for a minute and a half," reads the post. "iOS 8 contains new drivers that interface with your device's radio-baseband allowing it to synchronize with microwave frequencies and use them to recharge our batter."

If that sounds too good to be true, that's because it is. Putting your phone in the microwave could ruin both the phone and the oven within seconds.
Nevertheless, some people have posted on social media about their failed attempts to Wave-charge their phones. Rather than quick-charging their devices, people claimed the results were a burnt phone and a microwave fire.

The prank appears to have originated on the online bulletin board 4chan, where people wrote posts suggesting they had successfully charged their phones in microwaves.

This isn't the first time users have destroyed their phones over a fake promo. An Apple-styled ad made the rounds online last year, suggesting iPhones would become waterproof after they were updated to iOS 7. That inspired some outraged tweets, including one person who said their phone ended up at the bottom of a river.

Read more: iPhone users target of 'Wave' microwave-charging hoax | CTV News (external - login to view)

Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
Goober
SLM, No.

petros
Lol!

DaSleeper
+5
#4  Top Rated Post
Those same people probably regularly send money to Nigeria.......

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

Me I am thinking of a name change. Would I cash in?

Ludlow
gosh darn dem stupids peoples anywho

MHz
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

. That inspired some outraged tweets, including one person who said their phone ended up at the bottom of a river.

Left unsaid is that it was still in the owners hand and he was attempting to text somebody.

I'm sure the reply is coming, the extra payment was to assure that would happen. The pony express there uses ostriches there and they do not like to take the straightest route between two points, no way that could be a lie.

DaSleeper
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

Me I am thinking of a name change. Would I cash in?

You would also need an offshore account #.......

IdRatherBeSkiing
The add looks Appleish (aside from "The Next Big Thing" slogan). And wireless charging has been something that was at one point rumoured for the iPhone6. So its not that big a stretch for some trusting people to fall for it.

El Barto
+3
Didn't they know you had to turn it over every 30 seconds?

SLM
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

The add looks Appleish (aside from "The Next Big Thing" slogan). And wireless charging has been something that was at one point rumoured for the iPhone6. So its not that big a stretch for some trusting people to fall for it.

"trusting people".....how kind of you! Lol

Just how 'trusting' does one need to be to believe that a software update will render delicate electronic equipment impervious to microwave radiation or make it water proof?

Tecumsehsbones
+1

Just how 'trusting' does one need to be to believe that a software update will render delicate electronic equipment impervious to microwave radiation or make it water proof?

Not very.

Gotta be crazy stupid, though.

SLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Not very.

Gotta be crazy stupid, though.

Common sense is a rare commodity.

B00Mer
+2
Canadian Tire has just got a fresh order of 'Snow Glue' in.. buy a can before they are out of stock. It will stop your tires from spinning out on the ice and snow this Canadian Winter.

Easy as 1-2-3 just spray it on your tires and your set.

Just ask the guy behind the counter where it is... he can point you in the right direction.

Tecumsehsbones
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

Canadian Tire has just got a fresh order of 'Snow Glue' in.. buy a can before they are out of stock. It will stop your tires from spinning out on the ice and snow this Canadian Winter.

And don't forget a supply of our dehydrated water in case of road emergencies. Only $24.95 for a package of 12!

tay
It does work and it works on all phones.

I tried it and it's quick.

I strongly recommend everyone do this.........

SLM
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

And don't forget a supply of our dehydrated water in case of road emergencies. Only $24.95 for a package of 12!

Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

Just ask the guy behind the counter where it is... he can point you in the right direction.

Okay, how in the heck did you guys manage to do that???? The quoted reply appears before the originally quoted post?!?

Damn, are we in some kind of quantum causality loop like Star Trek? Man, I hate those!

Tecumsehsbones
+1

Okay, how in the heck did you guys manage to do that???? The quoted reply appears before the originally quoted post?!?

Damn, are we in some kind of quantum causality loop like Star Trek? Man, I hate those!

Well, first you set the timer on your mobile phone to 9:36, then put it in the microwave. . .

spaminator
cell phones should only be heated during winter.

IdRatherBeSkiing

It will make my phone work with a soon to be released Apple watch.

Praxius
+1
Silly Mac heads.... No wonder why so many of these iPhones are sold around the world.

It's not because they're popular or any good.... It's because the same bunch of idiots keep dunking their iPhones, putting them into microwaves and everything else they hear about that ends up destroying their phone.... So they keep buying new ones over and over again thinking they must have read the instructions wrong.

These "Fake" ads are probably done by Apple and released by friends of employees.

Oh and guess what?

Watch out: iPhone 6 Plus could accidentally bend in your pocket (external - login to view)

^ This is actually true and not a joke.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by PraxiusView Post

Silly Mac heads.... No wonder why so many of these iPhones are sold around the world.

It's not because they're popular or any good.... It's because the same bunch of idiots keep dunking their iPhones, putting them into microwaves and everything else they hear about that ends up destroying their phone.... So they keep buying new ones over and over again thinking they must have read the instructions wrong.

These "Fake" ads are probably done by Apple and released by friends of employees.

Oh and guess what?

Watch out: iPhone 6 Plus could accidentally bend in your pocket (external - login to view)

I sense you dislike Apple.

DaSleeper
Any phone you put in your back pocket and sit down, will bend...don't take no genius to figure that out!

SLM
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

It will make my phone work with a soon to be released Apple watch.

I actually really like the looks of those watches, lol.

Quote: Originally Posted by PraxiusView Post

Oh and guess what?

Quit beating around the bush and tell us all how you really feel.

DaSleeper
+1
The only thing that android has that apple phone should have is a user changeable battery!
They both have built in apps that I don't need or want.

SLM

The only thing that android has that apple phone should have is a user changeable battery!
They both have built in apps that I don't need or want.

Besides which, it's just a phone and no one is forcing it on anyone, lol. I don't see why some get so twisted over it. Reminds me a bit of those old vicious Star Wars/Star Trek debates back in the day.

CDNBear
+1
Same group of people who call people smarter than them, profiliers, lolz

DaSleeper
+1

Besides which, it's just a phone and no one is forcing it on anyone, lol. I don't see why some get so twisted over it. Reminds me a bit of those old vicious Star Wars/Star Trek debates back in the day.

I have a bit of experience with both, because my wife has an android Sony....she wanted it because it's nice and thin...
Maybe it's because I was used to the Ipod, I find the iphone easier to use...And I had to learn everything I could, because my wife is technologically challenged and I have to clean it up and fix it once in a while because she has the bad habit of picking it up the wrong way out of her handbag....meaning a finger on one side and thumb on the other instead of by the edges.....touching thscreen in the wrong place will switch things of or on that you don't want to.
But the battery life is just amazing on that thing....twice a week is enough and she uses it a lot.

SLM
+1

I have a bit of experience with both, because my wife has an android Sony....she wanted it because it's nice and thin...
Maybe it's because I was used to the Ipod, I find the iphone easier to use...And I had to learn everything I could, because my wife is technologically challenged and I have to clean it up and fix it once in a while because she has the bad habit of picking it up the wrong way out of her handbag....meaning a finger on one side and thumb on the other instead of by the edges.....touching thscreen in the wrong place will switch thins of or on that you don't want to.
But the battery life is just amazing on that thing....twice a week is enough and she uses it a lot.

Yep the iPhone batteries do suck. But if you get into a charging habit, it's not that big of a deal. I plug mine in every night.

I like my iPhone, no interest in going to another brand....at least not yet. I like the way it works, I have a lot of Apple products and they work well together, I don't have to muck around with anything....which is exactly what I wanted. I did that for years.....and now I'm done, lol.

DaSleeper
+1

Yep the iPhone batteries do suck. But if you get into a charging habit, it's not that big of a deal. I plug mine in every night.

I like my iPhone, no interest in going to another brand....at least not yet. I like the way it works, I have a lot of Apple products and they work well together, I don't have to muck around with anything....which is exactly what I wanted. I did that for years.....and now I'm done, lol.

me too.....except for the price lol