Cape Spear

Liz

Nominee Member
Aug 9, 2006
Newfoundland
I am new to Newfoundland (about a year or so) and every time one of my relatives comes to visit me, I take them to Cape Spear to show off the Eastern most point. Inevitably, at the same time, some tourist decides to climb out on the rocks and gets swallowed by the waves. It's tragic that so many people drown there, but geez it's the Atlantic Ocean! Why would you go near those waves! I think the fishermen who go out in it are the bravest there is. I was a Saskatchewan girl and prefer to stand on the solid ground. I am surprised that all the "mainlander" tourists aren't the same way.

Doryman

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
St. John's
These people are stupid. Stupid people die.

I find it hilarious that, in addition to the "Dangerous Water" and "Keep Back" signs, they are now putting up "People Die Here!!" signs to keep the tourists from taking a dip. Poor stupid tourists...

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
god i've been there and i wasnt even remotely tempted. Admittedly it was about -20°C that day and the snow was deep and the sea was freezing up. Still i don't think i'd care if it was 30°C and i was covered in dog poo... the sea round there is not to be messed with

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I've been to Cape Spear three times in the last twenty years. It is not the place where one is tempted to go for a swim. I think the problem comes from people wanting to dip their foot in the water at the easternmost point in Canada. Kind of silly I know, but some people do it.