Potential 25 billion barrels of oil in Orphan Basin NFLD

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
The provincial government released a resource assessment by Beicip-Franlab on Thursday that suggests there are potentially 25.5 billion barrels of oil in the West Orphan Basin, compared to the 12.5 billion barrels the Flemish Pass is believed to hold.

It's a study the provincial government hopes will attract even more investment than the Flemish Pass, which garnered $1.2 billion in bids last year.

Members of Newfoundland and Labrador's oil industry said the study is good news for a business that's been facing a downturn for years.

"The 25.5 billion barrels estimate is larger that the remaining estimate that Norway believes its offshore holds, which is 18 billion barrels of undiscovered resources, so this is a hugely important study at this stage in our resource development," said Raymond Collins, chair of NOIA.

"The industry is very excited with this announcement and we are looking forward to some early drilling to kick-start some more exploration and bring more equipment into the region to help further develop the industry."

Potential 25 billion barrels of oil in Orphan Basin: report - Newfoundland & Labrador - CBC News

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
So why is the federal government OK with drilling for oil off the east coast but wants to ban even tanker traffic on the west coast?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
So why is the federal government OK with drilling for oil off the east coast but wants to ban even tanker traffic on the west coast?

Interesting question, I might also add that there is daily tanker traffic up and down the St Larry.... Wonder if JT believes that teh lives of the Easterners is less valuable?

Good news! They can cover next year's transfer payments to Alberta!

Who will pay for keeping Ontario's bills paid?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
If they ever ship it west (Ontario) I hope they recall how Quebec f*cked them over when the deal for power-lines was struck and Quebec raised the price that NY was paying so they got more profit than NFLD got. Things like that tend to give you a reputation, one that leaves a sour taste in a person's mouth.

Leave it in the ground. Oil is finished.
How about until we need it?? They should be feeding the fish to make it a world class place to catch your limit. (for trawlers

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
If they ever ship it west (Ontario) I hope they recall how Quebec f*cked them over when the deal for power-lines was struck and Quebec raised the price that NY was paying so they got more profit than NFLD got. Things like that tend to give you a reputation, one that leaves a sour taste in a person's mouth.

How about until we need it?? They should be feeding the fish to make it a world class place to catch your limit. (for trawlers

When has Quebec done anything that didn't p^ss of the rest of the country?

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012

It's the original Canadians who want the tanker traffic halted, not the governments which is why Harpers crew or Trudeau's never banned it.

But you are on this sight a lot so I thought you would know this.......?

Ship Traffic in the Strait of Juan de Fuca | Race Rocks

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
It's the original Canadians who want the tanker traffic halted, not the governments which is why Harpers crew or Trudeau's never banned it.

But you are on this sight a lot so I thought you would know this.......?

Ship Traffic in the Strait of Juan de Fuca | Race Rocks
The majority of BC residents do not want pipelines and tankers on the coast. Slave is a brainwashed worker drone incapable of original thought.

Original Canadians? Moose? Bears? Geese? Salmon? Which ones are we talking about?
You should learn some history besides that printed in cheep tabloids.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
hello
I am a piece of granite
I have been here for 4 and 0ne half billion years
if you wouldn't look good in a beer commercial youze can just effe right off

I was here first

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
The majority of BC residents do not want pipelines and tankers on the coast. Slave is a brainwashed worker drone incapable of original thought.

Hilarious coming from the guy that would not survive a week without oil and it's byproducts.

PS - The province of BC runs on hydrocarbons.... Don't believe me?.. Convince the eco-lobbies to give-up ALL products that are derived from, or use hydrocarbons in any form.... You hypocrites would be dead in the water

How much royalty does a tanker pay?

The same amount as a truck