Scorpion stings St. John's man on plane

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Scorpion stings St. John's man on plane
QMI Agency
First posted: Monday, March 02, 2015 01:57 PM EST
A St. John's man says he thought he was going to die after a scorpion stung him three times on a flight from Colombia to Mexico.
Adam Young and Brendan Dawson were both resting on a flight from Bogota to Mexico City on Friday night when Young says the scorpion crawled under his shirt and stung him repeatedly.
"I jumped out of my chair in a huge commotion and it fell out of my shirt on to the chair," Young wrote on Facebook Saturday.
The pair notified the flight attendants, who found the scorpion under Young's seat cushion, Dawson wrote.
A doctor on board tended to Young and the plane returned to Bogota 20 minutes later.
"At this point, the venom was setting into my veins and the pain excruciating," he wrote.
"This burning sensation was coming over me, and even though I remained calm on the outside I was dying on the inside.
"Pain, nausea, chest pains, hallucinating and thinking that I was gonna die made it hell."
Young said once he was off the plane, he was injected with anti-venom and taken via ambulance to hospital. Despite the ordeal, the pair made it to Mexico.
This is the second time in recent weeks a scorpion has stung a passenger on a plane. Last month, a woman was stung on the hand just before her flight took off from Los Angeles to Portland. The plane had come from Los Cabos, Mexico.
Scorpion stings St. John's man on plane | International | Travel | Toronto Sun

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
They can sure sting. I got stung twice by scorpions. Once in the hand and once on the shoulder.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
They can sure sting. I got stung twice by scorpions. Once in the hand and once on the shoulder.

What kind of sting is it? Like wasp or bee? How long does the pain last. And most import, what were you doing that you were any where near them? What kind of scorpions were they?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
What kind of sting is it? Like wasp or bee? How long does the pain last. And most import, what were you doing that you were any where near them? What kind of scorpions were they?

It was like a good wasp sting only more acute. The pain lasted about the same time as lets say a wasp sting. I got a little sick but not nearly as much as this guy did. Some are more poisonous than others. I got stung in Panama (in the jungle) when I was a Marine. I do not know what kind it was, it was a small black one. Same type each time.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
It was like a good wasp sting only more acute. The pain lasted about the same time as lets say a wasp sting. I got a little sick but not nearly as much as this guy did. Some are more poisonous than others. I got stung in Panama (in the jungle) when I was a Marine. I do not know what kind it was, it was a small black one. Same type each time.
At least you got Noreiga.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
so apparently, it's the Mexican scorpion's sting that can be quite serious...

Scorpion stings — although painful — are mostly harmless. About 30 of the estimated 1,500 species of scorpions can inflict potentially fatal stings. In the United States, only the bark scorpion, found mainly in the desert Southwest, has venom potent enough to cause severe symptoms. Elsewhere, lethal scorpion stings occur predominantly in Mexico, South America, and parts of Africa, the Middle East and India.
Scorpion stings are most serious in young children, older adults and pets. In the United States, healthy adults usually don't need treatment for scorpion stings, but if your child is stung, seek immediate medical care.

Symptoms

By Mayo Clinic Staff

Most scorpion stings in the United States cause only minor signs and symptoms, such as pain and warmth at the sting site. The venom of the bark scorpion, native to Arizona, New Mexico and the California side of the Colorado River, is more toxic and can be life-threatening, particularly in children.
Mild signs and symptoms might include:

• Pain, which can be intense
  • Numbness and tingling in the area around the sting
  • Slight swelling in the area around the sting
More-severe signs and symptoms might include:

• Muscle twitching or thrashing
  • Unusual head, neck and eye movements
  • Drooling
  • Sweating
  • Vomiting
  • High blood pressure (hypertension) or low blood pressure (hypotension)
  • Accelerated heart rate (tachycardia) or irregular heart beat (arrhythmia)
  • Restlessness or excitability or inconsolable crying (in children)
When to see a doctor

It's always best to be safe. If you or your child is stung, follow these guidelines:

• If you're concerned about a scorpion sting — even if your reaction is minor — first call your local poison control center for advice. To reach a poison control center in the U.S., call Poison Help at 800-222-1222.
  • Get immediate medical care for any child stung by a scorpion.
  • If you've been stung, get prompt care if you begin to experience widespread symptoms.
  • Seek medical attention right away if you or your child is stung while traveling in another country.
Scorpion stings Definition - Diseases and Conditions - Mayo Clinic

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
this of course is an islamic plot

they were hoping the pilot got stung, however.

they will keep trying until they succeed.