New York Times writer calls Newfoundlanders 'fat'

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
New York Times writer calls Newfoundlanders 'fat'
QMI AGENCY
First posted: Saturday, February 28, 2015 01:14 PM EST | Updated: Saturday, February 28, 2015 01:47 PM EST
A Norwegian novelist’s unkind take on Newfoundland has drawn mixed reactions from many on the East Coast.
Karl Ove Knausgaard says the editor of the New York Times Magazine proposed that “I travel to Newfoundland and visit the place where the Vikings had settled, then rent a car and drive south, into the U.S. and westward to Minnesota, where a large majority of Norwegian-American immigrants had settled, and then write about it.”
His observations of folks who live in the Northern Peninsula - which appeared in the New York Times Magazine on Wednesday - were based on a visit to a Jungle Jim’s restaurant in St. Anthony.
“Everyone in the place, except the waiter, was fat, some of them so fat that I kept having to look at them. I had never seen people that fat before,” Knausgaard wrote. “The strange thing was that none of them looked as if they were trying to hide their enormous girth; quite the opposite, several people were wearing tight T-shirts with their big bellies sticking out proudly.”
Several Newfoundlanders shared their thoughts on Knausgaard’s report in comments posted to The Telegram's website, and many agreed the province has a health care crisis.
“Buddy could have went to a real Newfie restaurant and asked for a suggestion to eat. I had a wonderful time on te (sic) northern peninsula this summer. This guy should stick to the big cities where he belongs,” one reader said.
Another posted: “Take it easy b'y, you're getting on like a spiteful child throwing a tantrum. So the guy thinks many Newfs are morbidly obese and restaurant food out around the bay can be unappetizing. As a native NLer I can affirm that he is quite correct in his assessment.”
According to the Canadian Medical Association Journal, an estimated 71% of the adult population in Newfoundland and Labrador will be overweight or obese by 2019.
New York Times writer calls Newfoundlanders 'fat' | Canada | News | Toronto Sun

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
This guy should go to Washington State I couldn't believe how fat they were
Even the children and many were relatives. You see fat people everywhere
There are two kinds folks like me trying to shed a few pounds and others
who don't care. Personally its no one's business except the person involved
This reporter should not go there for a while he could meet with a bruising.
Not to mention a fat lip. And he should never go to Cape Breton and make a
remark, they'll go down south and kick his ar*e

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
so many pictures i see of american citizens in many different settings show me that they are suffering from

a serious overweight problem. this dude should look in his own back yard, or maybe the mirror.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
I always thought that New Foundland's cuisine was largely sea food. As such, the diet would be low in fat and most folks there would not be having weight hassles. Therefore, such a premise, assuming the writer is not joking, is hard to believe.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
none of these goodies from that region look very fattening to me - but they sure look tasty!

Riiiiiight, because newfeys don't have access to the same stuff us mainlanders have access to. :roll:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
ah, but as someone who grew up right next to the ocean I can tell you in truth that there is nothing like a good seafood platter :)

:roll:

My God man, is ignorance your middle name?

Eagle, please tell me this idiot and the reporter from New York are Atypical americans.