That could be why they call it 'potluck'....

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
An elderly woman has died and about 30 others are sick after a church potluck dinner in a small New Brunswick town.

More than 100 people gathered at Nackawic Community Hall last Friday Dec. 5 for a turkey dinner sponsored by a local church.

"One person was admitted to hospital and they, unfortunately, passed away," said Dr. Jennifer Russell, New Brunswick’s acting Chief Medical Officer of Health.

Read more: 1 dead, dozens ill after church potluck dinner in N.B. town | CTV News

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
I hope the gubmint steps in and bans all pot-luck dinners.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
that's why at my condo we no longer do much potluck...our Christmas party this year was hosted and has been for several years

it got to the point where we would ask who brought what and pick and choose from the dishes we ate from

I have witnessed someone pulling pickles out of a jar with their fingers and arranging them on a plate...or a dishtowel dropped in the kitchen social room just thrown back on the counter and used later

same with cookie exchanges...ick...people let their kids help with the baking etc...snotty noses and stuffed dropped and placed back

it's no longer safe because we build up a tolerance to our own kitchen germs but not to others