More needles found in P.E.I. potatoes

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
More needles found in P.E.I. potatoes
QMI Agency
First posted: Thursday, November 13, 2014 12:53 PM EST | Updated: Thursday, November 13, 2014 01:06 PM EST
Three more needles have been found in P.E.I. potatoes that were recalled from stores after evidence of tampering was discovered, police said Thursday.
The sewing needles, which have been found in potatoes throughout Atlantic Canada, appear to have been placed deliberately, police said.
It's believed all of the potatoes were harvested and packed by Linkletter Farms of Summerside, P.E.I.
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) issued a warning on Oct. 7 and advised that the company had voluntarily recalled products sold in Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and P.E.I.
Police examined the returned potatoes with a metal detector and found three more needles. There have been six reports from East Coast consumers who discovered metal objects in their spuds, and one report from a bag bought in Ottawa which police aren't sure is related. Police also said there were needles in potatoes at the Cavendish Farms French fry production plant in New Annan, P.E.I., but they were found before reaching consumers.
"It appears the metal sewing needles were intentionally placed in the potatoes prior to the potatoes being sent to the production facility," Sgt. Leanne Butler said last month.
There have been no confirmed reports of injury or illness, according to the CFIA and the RCMP.
Police in P.E.I. investigate food-tampering after consumers find sewing needles in potatoes sold across Atlantic Canada. (photo: RCMP)
Photos: RCMP

More needles found in P.E.I. potatoes | Canada | News | Toronto Sun

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
The sewing needles, which have been found in potatoes throughout Atlantic Canada, appear to have been placed deliberately, police said.

No! Really?!? And here I was thinking they came by them naturally! :roll:

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
OK who's the weird'o lacing Potatoes with needles. FFS
they don't know but they are pretty certain it was on purpose (they are smart that way eh)

should that be in purple...nah

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
There's reward from the Potato Board now for anyone with information on the potato tampering. Up to $50,000.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
There's reward from the Potato Board now for anyone with information on the potato tampering. Up to $50,000.
hm that's a nice chunk of change...alas no one in my circle has devolved to that level

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
It's either the PEILO or possibly a false-flag operation by the Idaho Potato Growers Association.

A rival political party here once made a case for trading potatoes to Cuba for Doctors. Seemed like a good deal to me, nearly 5 years in this province and still no GP! Could be a rival Russet faction too.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Potato sabotage traced to P.E.I. town, where everyone seems to have a theory about who did the crime

But the facts are these: on Oct. 2 an undisclosed number of sewing needles were discovered in potatoes by workers at the McCain french fry manufacturing plant in New Annan. Production was immediately halted, and the sabotaged spuds were traced to Linkletter Farms, one of the island’s top producers and a family operation with roots in Summerside dating from 1783.

Several additional Linkletter tubers, stabbed clean through with darning needles, surfaced in bags purchased by consumers at stores throughout the Atlantic provinces, triggering a massive recall of 800,000 pounds of potatoes. An X-ray machine set up in a police-secured potato storage facility was used to screen the suspicious spuds. The technique proved inadequate. Metal detectors were then acquired and farmers, working after hours, hour after hour, ripped open and swept clean countless bags of potatoes; a process that continues.

Meanwhile, 10 needles, not including those discovered at the McCain plant, have been found since Oct. 2 and sent to a forensics lab for further analysis. The potato industry is offering a $50,000 reward for any information leading to the arrest and conviction of the individual, or individuals, responsible for the crime.
‘These are good people. Who would do such a thing?’
“At this point we are still searching for a suspect,” says Sgt. Leanne Butler, the RCMP spokeswoman for P.E.I. “Every avenue is open.”

And every possible criminal scenario is being discussed in Summerside, in the coffee shops and potato fields surrounding the town.

Among the most popular theories: the culprit was a disgruntled former employee; a crazy person; teenagers up to no good; or a wild-eyed environmentalist.

The Linkletter family did not respond to multiple requests for an interview. Some farmers did agree to talk on the condition of anonymity. They dismissed the embittered employee hypothesis, saying someone with an axe to grind would slash your tires, or steal equipment, but not risk endangering the public by turning Bud the spud into a pincushion.

Potato fields are open and accessible. Anybody could walk into them under the cover of darkness and tamper with the potatoes. And who might want to do that? Environmentalists, that is who, say the farmers.

more

Potato sabotage traced to P.E.I. town, where everyone seems to have a theory about who did the crime | National Post

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I can't even think of a rational reason why environmentalists would do this. For one thing they mostly all glory in attention and as yet no one has claimed liability.