Food for thought!!

rufus

Electoral Member
Mar 7, 2009
Chili is not so much food as a state of mind. Addictions to it are formed early in life and the victims never recover. ~ Margaret Cousins

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
are we talking Chili Concarne? or are we talking Chili peppers? cause I can relate to being addicted to chili peppers. I use them in any hot (temperature) food to keep it tasting hot. Great in hot chocolate, gravy's, soups. I'd quite possibly die without it.

As for Chili Concarne, I love Bear Creeks Damn good vegetarian chili...

I've never been to Chili, so I can't say if the country is addicting.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I do an original chilli recipe that I brought back from a trip to texas where I happened onto a Chilli Cook-off that was going on in a park in Brownsville. I thought this was the best chilli there. Here is the recipe:

3 pounds of well marbled beef blade steak cut into bite sized chunks.
2 medium onions coarsely chopped
1 cup chopped red and green bell pepper
4 cloves of garlic crushed
2 sixteen ounce cans stewed tomatoes
2 small cans of tomatoe paste
2 cups fresh button mushrooms cut in half
2 cups dry red wine...Not cooking wine
2 tablespoons chilli powder
salt and pepper to taste
Red pepper flakes to taste

Brown the meat lightly in a bit of oil. Add the onions and saute with meat for a few minutes and then dump in everything but the pepper flakes, Stir well to incorporate everything and simmer covered for 2 to 3 hours. In the third hour add the red pepper flakes. I use about two teaspoons. Simmer for another hour and let it rest a while and skim off any fat.
Reheat and serve with fresh baked bread rolls and butter.

PS You will notice that there are no beans in this recipe. There were none in the original recipe.

Last edited:

rufus

Electoral Member
Mar 7, 2009
are we talking Chili Concarne? or are we talking Chili peppers? cause I can relate to being addicted to chili peppers. I use them in any hot (temperature) food to keep it tasting hot. Great in hot chocolate, gravy's, soups. I'd quite possibly die without it.

As for Chili Concarne, I love Bear Creeks Damn good vegetarian chili...

I've never been to Chili, so I can't say if the country is addicting.

The choice is yours as to how to interpret the statement. Since I got the quote from a web page with tons of chili concarne recipes, I will presume the author was referring to this type of chili.

As to chili peppers I am in agreement with you. We grow our own chilli peppers and I make a jar of pickled peppers that most would die for.

I have never been to that country either.

rufus

Electoral Member
Mar 7, 2009
I do an original chilli recipe that I brought back from a trip to texas where I happened onto a Chilli Cook-off that was going on in a park in Brownsville. I thought this was the best chilli there. Here is the recipe:

3 pounds of well marbled beef blade steak cut into bite sized chunks.
2 medium onions coarsely chopped
4 cloves of garlic crushed
2 sixteen ounce cans stewed tomatoes
2 small cans of tomatoe paste
2 cups fresh button mushrooms cut in half
2 cups dry red wine...Not cooking wine
2 tablespoons chilli powder
salt and pepper to taste
Red pepper flakes to taste

Brown the meat lightly in a bit of oil. Add the onions and saute with meat for a few minutes and then dump in everything but the pepper flakes, Stir well to incorporate everything and simmer covered for 2 to 3 hours. In the third hour add the red pepper flakes. I use about two teaspoons. Simmer for another hour and let it rest a while and skim off any fat.
Reheat and serve with fresh baked bread rolls and butter.

PS You will notice that there are no beans in this recipe. There were none in the original recipe.

That sounds really inviting. Would it make a difference in the recipe if I added my own stewed tomatoes? I add hot peppers to them before they are canned and it adds a little bit of spice.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
That sounds really inviting. Would it make a difference in the recipe if I added my own stewed tomatoes? I add hot peppers to them before they are canned and it adds a little bit of spice.

Shouldn't be a problem. This recipe the way it sits, will probably serve six people or more easily. You can cut everything in half and it still works

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
juan,

your recipe along with beer omelet would be mighty tasty in the morning!

Yes, I didn't mention that a hot bowl of chilli and an ice cold Molsons omelet does wonders for a Sunday morning breakfast.(read hang over) :smile: