1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sugar
3/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons vinegar
one egg
1/3 cup butter or margarine

Directions
Sift your two cups of flour into mixing bowl. Add baking powder, salt, sugar.
Stir well to mix all ingredients.
Add vinegar to milk
Make a well in dry ingredients, pour in most of milk and break the egg into the puddle of milk in the flour. Mix until all ingredients are incorporated.
Next cut the butter or margarine into biscuit dough with a fork. You don't have to be super-zealous but try to get most of it cut in.
Turn dough onto floured surface and flatten with your hands. Sprinkle a bit of flour on the dough and fold it double. Roll out with a rolling pin and fold double again. The dough will be a little sticky up to this point so sprinkle with flour and fold double again and quickly fold again, Roll out to a generous 3/4 inch thick and cut out biscuits with a 21/2" cookie cutter, Place biscuits fairly close together on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 425 degrees for about ten minutes

*The difference is that you cut in the butter or margarine last into the dough rather than into the dry ingredients. The result I've found, is that the biscuits will be lighter and fluffier and they will just about fall apart in layers like a croissant.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Maybe they almost fall apart in layers because this recipe is almost the same as the "Never fail pie Crust" recipe. Pie crust naturally has much more flour and a whole pound of Tenderflake but it uses the vinegar. As I said - the ingredients are basically the same except for the amounts.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Maybe they almost fall apart in layers because this recipe is almost the same as the "Never fail pie Crust" recipe. Pie crust naturally has much more flour and a whole pound of Tenderflake but it uses the vinegar. As I said - the ingredients are basically the same except for the amounts.

Islandpacific
I've made very good BP biscuits for years using the exact same ingredients. The vinegar, I started using 10 or 15 years ago. It reacts with the baking powder to make the biscuits higher.(lemon juice works as well) The difference here, I think, is that the butter is laid down in layers and that is why the layers separate the way they do.