Herbal lozenges

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Homemade-Cough-Drops

Tonight's project is cough drops. I have tons of beautiful orange thyme in my garden that should make ideal herbal lozenges. I think though that where this recipe calls for light corn syrup, I may try honey instead. Any experience with candy making? Will this wreck my lozenges?

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I do not have any experience making candy myself, but Halls has a lemon-honey flavoured lozenge and it is quite good(for what it is, anyhow). I would try the honey if I were you, as it tastes pretty good.:smile:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
the problem is though that Halls has no actual honey in their lozenges. While I know it tastes wonderful, I don't know if it will cook up the same as corn syrup. So, I may just end up with a pile of sugary mush. :lol: But... that might not be the end of the world either. Goodness knows I've got enough thyme (and time) to make a new batch if I wreck it.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
hmmm I haven't made any candy in years, but my recollection of it is that it can be pretty finicky - at least with regard to temperature.

Well you got me curious, so I googled and found the info below from here:

corn syrup Notes: This is a thick, sweet syrup that's popular in America, but hard to find in other countries. Unlike other sweeteners, corn syrup doesn't crystallize and turn grainy when it's cold, so it's a good choice for frostings, fudge sauces, and candies. Baked goods made with corn syrup are moister and stay fresher longer than those made with sugar. There are two types: dark corn syrup is dark brown and has a slight molasses flavor, while light corn syrup is almost clear and has a more delicate flavor. The two can be used interchangeably in many recipes. Karo is a well-known brand. Store corn syrup at room temperature.

Substitutes:
golden syrup (Substitute measure for measure) OR honey (This is sweeter than corn syrup, but substitute it measure for measure.) OR molasses (Substitute measure for measure.)

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
oh perfect, thanks Zan.

I figured the darker corn syrup or honey would taste better than the light corn syrup for balancing out the flavor of the thyme, if that makes sense. I also might add some of my lemon essential oil to the mix... one drop perhaps... to bring a lemon flavor in.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
the problem is though that Halls has no actual honey in their lozenges. While I know it tastes wonderful, I don't know if it will cook up the same as corn syrup. So, I may just end up with a pile of sugary mush. :lol: But... that might not be the end of the world either. Goodness knows I've got enough thyme (and time) to make a new batch if I wreck it.

It doesn't?!?

Shows you how useful I am in this thread.

That being said, Karrie, I can send you my home address if you want to use me as a guinea pig.
:cool:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
It doesn't?!?

Shows you how useful I am in this thread.

That being said, Karrie, I can send you my home address if you want to use me as a guinea pig.
:cool:

no.. it's got honey flavoring in it, but not actual honey... there's a reason I'm making my own lozenges. lol. As for sending them to you... I wish I could but I needs them darn it.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Maybe when you feel better?

I do hope that you feel better soon, Karrie.:-(

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Yes shadow, perhaps when I feel better I'll send you some.. if they're palatable. lol. Or, you could use the recipe and learn to make them too.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Yes shadow, perhaps when I feel better I'll send you some.. if they're palatable. lol. Or, you could use the recipe and learn to make them too.

I have no doubt they will be palatable.:cool:

If I tried to make them...well, I think you'd see the plume of smoke all the way from Chatham to your house.;-):lol:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I have no doubt they will be palatable.:cool:

If I tried to make them...well, I think you'd see the plume of smoke all the way from Chatham to your house.;-):lol:

lol... hey, you never learn until you light something on fire. I lit up a whole batch of sponge toffee last Christmas. lol.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Sponge toffee. That stuff is awesome, especially the chocolate-covered variety!:cool:

Burning aside, how did the next batch turn out?:smile:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Sponge toffee. That stuff is awesome, especially the chocolate-covered variety!:cool:

Burning aside, how did the next batch turn out?:smile:

The next batch turned out awesome. But I learned that it's just not the same coated in dark chocolate. I did some plain, some coated in dark choc, and some coated in milk choc. MMMmmm.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
The next batch turned out awesome. But I learned that it's just not the same coated in dark chocolate. I did some plain, some coated in dark choc, and some coated in milk choc. MMMmmm.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of dark chocolate either. The toffee with milk chocolate on it was the best. It was okay with white chocolate, but the milk chocolate was far better.:smile:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of dark chocolate either. The toffee with milk chocolate on it was the best. It was okay with white chocolate, but the milk chocolate was far better.:smile:

Oh, I'm a fan of dark choc... it's my fave. Just, I do have to admit it's not as good as milk chocolate for sponge toffee.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I ended up not cooking the syrup long enough, and ended up with soft crack instead of hard crack candy. But they still turned out mighty yummy.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Homemade-Cough-Drops

Tonight's project is cough drops. I have tons of beautiful orange thyme in my garden that should make ideal herbal lozenges. I think though that where this recipe calls for light corn syrup, I may try honey instead. Any experience with candy making? Will this wreck my lozenges?

Just a suggestion. My late mother in law, (born in Rome) mixed cloves, and other fruits,
sliced apple, etc, together with warmed up home made wine, and added a shot of 'grappa', (rot gut, almost pure alchohol), mixed it up nicely, and there you go, you will
not know if you have a cough or not, and sleep will come very easily.;-)

or, on second thought -----------

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
I made candy before. I never tried using honey but I do know that it IS possible without a candy thermometer, but MUCH harder. Plus i also know DONT TOUCH THE SYRUP! it's REALLY hot!!!

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Just a suggestion. My late mother in law, (born in Rome) mixed cloves, and other fruits,
sliced apple, etc, together with warmed up home made wine, and added a shot of 'grappa', (rot gut, almost pure alchohol), mixed it up nicely, and there you go, you will
not know if you have a cough or not, and sleep will come very easily.;-)

or, on second thought -----------

yes, I love mulled wine and it is awesome for colds. Unfortunately, I can't give it to the kids. lol.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I ended up not cooking the syrup long enough, and ended up with soft crack instead of hard crack candy. But they still turned out mighty yummy.

It's good to hear that even though they didn't turn out exactly how you wanted them to, they still turned out well.:smile: