Leftover Recipes

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Lets have your recipes for what to do with leftover chicken, beef, or whatever:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
When I cook rice I usually cook twice as much as I need for that meal and the leftover rice goes into the fridge. When the kids were living at home they loved fried rice. Chicken fried rice was always the most popular.
Ingredients
Two cups leftover cooked rice
up to a pound of left over cooked chicken, cubed
2 eggs beaten with a tablespoon of water and a half teaspoon salt
quarter cup finely chopped onion
can of muchroom stems and pieces, drained
half cup frozen peas
Soy Sauce
Vegetable oil
First, cook eggs in one flat sort of omelet. cook on both sides and set aside and cool.
In a fairly hot wok, saute onions for a few minutes, and add mushroom and chicken and stir for a bit longer.
Add rice, stir and break up all the lumps
Continue stirring and add peas
Add two tablespoons(or to taste) of soy sauce and stir
Slice egg into long thin slivers and add to rice and stir again
Turn the heat off, cover and just let it sit for five minutes or so.
Scrape out onto large platter and serve.

Last edited:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
When I was a kid, I loved the mashed potatoe leftover meal my mom made.

thick layer cooked ground beef on bottom of casserole, one or two cans of campbells
vegetable soup spread over that, then spread warm mashed potatoes over that and
warm up in the oven, just a variation of a shepherd's pie I guess.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
That sounds very eatable talloola, I'll have to try it.

I make shepherd's pie but I tend to use a lamb stew under the mashed potatoes. I saw the recipe in a magazine years ago and that is the one I generally use.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Chicken fried rice is a fave here too juan.

My brother-in-law's family uses left over poultry to chop into a gravy and pour over toast for breakfast. That wouldn't hurt my feelings either. lol.

I also do lots of impromptu casseroles with left overs... never anything planned or that I can really put a recipe to though.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
That sounds very eatable talloola, I'll have to try it.

I make shepherd's pie but I tend to use a lamb stew under the mashed potatoes. I saw the recipe in a magazine years ago and that is the one I generally use.

I spotted some thick but 'tiny' lamb chops yesterday in the safeway 'butcher' meat showcase. I asked the clerk to give me a price on 4 of them, which she did. $28.00
They are still there. She did tell me it was local lamb, and I noticed they also had
packaged 'New Zerland' lamb in the main meat area, much cheaper, but she informed
me that the new zealand lamb is more 'gamey' tasting. I will shop around, I do buy most
of my food from Safeway (only for airmiles).

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Chicken fried rice is a fave here too juan.

My brother-in-law's family uses left over poultry to chop into a gravy and pour over toast for breakfast. That wouldn't hurt my feelings either. lol.

I also do lots of impromptu casseroles with left overs... never anything planned or that I can really put a recipe to though.

Leftovers are easier today than they were twenty five years ago. For one thing, you can buy beef broth, chicken broth, so gravy isn't hard to come by. Left over roast beef and gravy and a few frozen veggies can be smartened up with a few Yorkshire Puddings that you can make from a mix. It's also easy from scratch. Pasta can do wonders for a lot of leftovers. I have a few recipes that I will eventually put up.............I'm rushing around a bit today
Cheers

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I spotted some thick but 'tiny' lamb chops yesterday in the safeway 'butcher' meat showcase. I asked the clerk to give me a price on 4 of them, which she did. $28.00
They are still there. She did tell me it was local lamb, and I noticed they also had
packaged 'New Zerland' lamb in the main meat area, much cheaper, but she informed
me that the new zealand lamb is more 'gamey' tasting. I will shop around, I do buy most

My butcher sells lamb stew by the 100 grams......I think it works out to around four dollars a pound........So it still isn't cheap. I usually use about two pounds of lamb stew meat for a stew or for shepherd's pie. Occasionally we buy a decent sized leg of lamb and leftovers from that would end up in the pie. Shoulder chops can also be pretty good....A lot of bone, but if the price is right they're not bad. The small loin chops are a waste of time and money.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Apply Cheez-whiz liberally to a slice of bread. Place roast beef on it. Salt and pepper to taste. Put another slice on top. Enjoy.

LOL, so not much of a recipe. But that's what I do with left-overs from most roasts. Chicken and turkey I don't add anything but salt and pepper, and occasionally some sliced swiss cheese.

Rice, of course I have to make the chicken fried rice.

Left-over boiled potatoes become farmer potatoes. Slice into cubes. Throw into wok with table spoon of butter. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning. Salt and pepper to taste.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I buy largepackages of 'economy' priced chicken legs with back attached.(Safeway). Large package into a large
soup pot, usually two pots going at one time. add onion and simmer for a few hours.
remove chicken, use for 'whatever' you want, chill broth in frig overnight, skim off fat.
Put broth into small containers in the freezer, it is very condensed, so when you use it,
you can add lots of water. Best chicken broth you can eat, very low in salt, and very
tasty.
I also make large amounts of italian spaghetti sauce, original recipe from rome.
I freeze sauce in containers as well, and both the chicken broth and the spaghetti sauce
can be used in many different recipes. When I make chicken rice soup, or almost any soup, I add a little of
the spaghett suace toward the end of cooking time, adds nice color and little more flavor.
I make different risotto recipes, so the chicken broth mixed with lots of water, makes
the tasty liquid for the risotto, and added spaghetti sauce in it as well.

Brat

Electoral Member
May 30, 2007
My grandmother would take leftover roast beef, grind it up in a food processor, then add some relish and salt and pepper to taste. She would then make sandwiches with it.
They were soooooo good. I make it occassionally for my family. I say occassionally cuz we don't generally have leftovers here. LOL

Twig

Nominee Member
Sep 8, 2008
Ontario
Leftover chicken on a Ciabatta
Grated cheese on one half and put it under the broiler for a few minutes
The other half chicken, sliced thin peppers, red onions, cucumbers lettuce and a bit of ranch. This actually works well with any leftover meat.
With beef I use a bit of BBQ sauce and heat it up first.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

Don't believe anyone about the "gamey taste". Lamb tastes like lamb and that's what I like. Most of the lamb I buy is from New Zealand. I buy either based on whether it looks good and the price. I know a farmer who saves me a whole lamb in the Spring. I get it cut and wrapped for the freezer. I get the leg roasts, all the chops, the shanks, and about five pounds each of ground lamb and lamb stew.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Don't believe anyone about the "gamey taste". Lamb tastes like lamb and that's what I like. Most of the lamb I buy is from New Zealand. I buy either based on whether it looks good or the price. I know a farmer who saves me a whole lamb in the Spring. I get it cut and wrapped for the freezer. I get the leg roasts, all the chops, the shanks, and about five pounds each of ground lamb and lamb stew.

Thanks Juan, glad to know that, because I would have believed 'her', as, at the moment
I know next to nothing about lamb, except that it is rather expensive, and that's OK,
don't mind, I'm not going to eat it everyday.

Last edited by a moderator:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Anything.... You have leftover tuna casserole? Hmm ... that might become dee-lux grilled cheese sandwiches....

I heard it was illegal to use tuna casserole leftovers for anything because tuna casserole is the last step and already has second generation leftovers in it......................I could be wrong....:smile::roll:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
hi Juan
If you were going out for a good steak dinner, what would your restaurant of choice be.

Last edited by a moderator:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
hi Juan
If you were going out for a good steak dinner, what would your restaurant of choice be.

A good steak dinner, nice atmosphere........
The Keg on Robson Street in Nanaimo
They kind of specialize in steaks and they have a fairly good wine list.
We go to the Keg fairly often and I trust them.