Karrie's Garden Masterpieces

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I've managed to pull off a few real hits this year from the garden. Tossed salad with dill, chives, and thyme chopped fine and sprinkled over top have been one of the most common and we've hit the point where we're sick of them, even though they're delish. So, last night, I twisted my usual.

Karrie's salad stuffed chicken breasts
apprx 3 cups of finely chopped swiss chard
4 sprigs fernleaf dill, chopped fine
apprx 1 Tbsp fresh thyme, chopped fine
garlic chives (I used 4 large), chopped fine.
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 capful of vinegar
a sprinkle of coarse salt
a sprinkle of fresh ground pepper
4 chicken breasts, pounded flat

Mix stuffing ingredients all together and place apprx 1/4 of mixture in each breast (however much will fit). Roll breasts over and seal as best you can. Place on barbeque, and cook at apprx 400 degrees, or 'low', until cooked through. Watch in amazement as your kids rave and devour it.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Karrie's bruschetta stuffed zucchini

1 large zucchini
apprx 2 cups of diced tomato
apprx 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
2 cloves finely chopped garlic
fresh basil leaf to taste (apprx 5)
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp Balsamic vinegar
a dash of salt to taste
a dash of pepper to taste
Feta cheese to top

halve and core the zucchini. Mix the remaining ingredients, saving the feta to top. Stuff the zucchini, top with the feta. Place on barbeque and cook at roughly 400 degrees until feta is browning and zucchini becomes tender.

Make more bruschetta mix if your zucchini was especially large.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
We don't have much of a garden this year except for our herbs that we grow in big pots(almost half barrels) on our sun deck. A couple weeks ago I harvested most of our basil to make a pile of Pesto sauce which I froze. Surprising enough, the basil has come right back and is almost two feet high again. We have a single Beefsteak tomato plant that so far has maybe a dozen tomatoes on it of varying sizes. I think Beefsteaks need a long season......in the ground not in a pot. During the hot weather you have to water the pot three times a day.
Our dill has all gone to seed. I managed to salvage enough for a few jars of dill pickles.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I've been finding with my basil that picking it seems to speed it up. The more I pick, the faster it grows. If I leave it, it pretty much stays dormant.

Most of my tomatoes are cherry tomatoes.... a few plum tomatoes and a couple heritage that are really not thriving. My faves are the cherry yellow pear tomatoes. Yum.

My dill is starting to go to seed too... I need to hurry up and pickle this week.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

Last edited:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Oh, and, if anyone should happen to be wandering past my house after work, I have scads of lettuce to get rid of, should they want to pick some for a salad. ;-)

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
oh? Scads you say? .... mmmmm I think anyone wandering past your house on their way home from work would be just silly not to stop by. :p