Emergency Food Stores

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
In light of the media panic about food shortages and such, my husband and I decided it might be a good idea to stock up on a few things (rice, flour) and we figured, while we were at it, we had best set up an emergency kit that could get us through a couple weeks of stressful times.

We bought things such as

-canned tuna
-pastas
-flour
-rice
-skim milk powder
-canned apple sauce
-dried apricots
-canned vegetables
-peanut butter
-peanuts
-honey
-sugar
-rolled oats
-dry beans, lentils, chick peas
-cooking oil
-hard candies
-coffee

A few things I realized I forgot, such as baking powder, but I'll add later.

On top of the food, I'll need to add some things like flashlights, a crank radio, a few medical supplies.

Do you and your family have emergency food stocks? If so, what's in them? How long are you prepared for?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
That's a good idea Karrie. I'm pretty sure that many government agencies advise that we should have these stores for all sorts of "what ifs." Droughts, hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, wildfires, power outages, severe winter weather, the list is long.

I personally have no such stock. I wouldn't have the resources to last any longer than a week at best with my own groceries and supplies. Though I do join in the mad rush during hurricane forecasts as well as winter storms, not that it would help me if the food supply is dwindling anyways. Fresh water would be the most pressing concern. Something you may want to add to your list.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
That's a good idea Karrie. I'm pretty sure that many government agencies advise that we should have these stores for all sorts of "what ifs." Droughts, hurricanes, earthquakes, wildfires, power outages, severe winter weather, the list is long.

I personally have no such stock. I wouldn't have the resources to last any longer than a week at best with my own groceries and supplies. Fresh water would be the most pressing concern. Something you may want to add to your list.

Hubby has access to 5 gallon pails from work (clean, never used), and we intend to add 3 or 4 of those to our stores. We did have one before, but made the mistake of not staying on top of changing out the water, and it got nasty.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Hubby has access to 5 gallon pails from work (clean, never used), and we intend to add 3 or 4 of those to our stores. We did have one before, but made the mistake of not staying on top of changing out the water, and it got nasty.

That's good. Stale water does get gross. Maybe get some things like water purification tablets. Or the water filters that you can get at MEC.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
I usually stock up on coffee, tea, rice soups (for example, Cuban black bean), rice, tuna, chili beans, fruit juice, pasta and pasta sauces. Usually, about a 4 to 5 week supply of food.

My apartment is too small or I would keep a much larger storehouse of goodies as you are now doing.

There are many books on the subject of food storage and one of them is the very famous Putting Food By :

http://www.amazon.com/Putting-Food-Plume-Janet-Greene/dp/0452268990

When you consider it, who would have thought that this type of prevention (something that was done up to about 60 years ago) would be necessitated by social conditions?

It really is amazing.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
That's good. Stale water does get gross. Maybe get some things like water purification tablets. Or the water filters that you can get at MEC.

The one site I was looking at said the only recommended water purification product is household bleach. 16 drops per gallon. And they also said to aerate by pouring the water back and forth between two containers to get rid of the staleness.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
This reminds me of a topic I ponder from time to time.

Say some catastrophe befalls humanity. A true calamity that wipes out 99% of humans. What expertise would we have left to rebuild, assuming that basic survival skills allows us to regain some sort of meaningful means of sustenance, and that we can somehow organize back into societies? Or, what would the new world look like? What would the new infrastructure look like? What other species would survive, assuming it's not some kind of pandemic that targets only humans? Of course it's all idle speculation, but it makes me thankful that I've picked up a variety of intermediate skills over my young years.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I was looking at some of those freeze dried food packs that the army uses-anybody know what they taste like.

No clue, but, some of the sites recommend simply tacking on an extra bit to your normal staples when you grocery shop, until you're stocked, so that you don't get upset stomach by changing your eating patterns in a crisis.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
This reminds me of a topic I ponder from time to time.

Say some catastrophe befalls humanity. A true calamity that wipes out 99% of humans. What expertise would we have left to rebuild, assuming that basic survival skills allows us to regain some sort of meaningful means of sustenance, and that we can somehow organize back into societies? Or, what would the new world look like? What would the new infrastructure look like? What other species would survive, assuming it's not some kind of pandemic that targets only humans? Of course it's all idle speculation, but it makes me thankful that I've picked up a variety of intermediate skills over my young years.

what strikes me is the small number of people skilled in farming, cooking, sewing, building... we've been conditioned to teach our kids that manual labor is beneath them. So how do we even carry on, let alone rebuild?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
The one site I was looking at said the only recommended water purification product is household bleach. 16 drops per gallon. And they also said to aerate by pouring the water back and forth between two containers to get rid of the staleness.

Many of the purification tablets contain available chlorine, and many also contain flocculants which will enhance the disinfection. The benefit of having filters, such as the regular activated carbon in the Brita filter, is that they will help reduce the turbidity. In the end, the more choices you have for disinfection and sterilization the better.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
Great topic Karrie! :p

I look forward to reading more tips and experiences from people - it's one of those topics we don't like to think about, but prudence isn't always pleasant is it?

I have actually have a few things put away - rice, bread and pasta mostly. Not a ton, but enough to carry us through for a bit any way. I'll pick up other items to add as I can, but the stuff I think will rise in price most quickly I picked up last week.

It might be nice for people to post good deals they've found in their areas, or just generally post price watches occasionally.

In Edmonton McGavin's Bread has a store that is still selling day-old bread for a reasonable price - 10 loaves of whole wheat, white or multi grain for 11.99.
Hotdog/hamburger buns were 2 for about 1.89
Superstore was selling California grown rice for 11.98 for a 22 lb bag last week.
Catelli pasta was high though - about $9.50 for a 4 kg box of spaghetti.

What are you guys noticing going on in your grocery stores lately?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
what strikes me is the small number of people skilled in farming, cooking, sewing, building... we've been conditioned to teach our kids that manual labor is beneath them. So how do we even carry on, let alone rebuild?

"WE" have?

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
"WE" have?

I think she meant the Royal 'We' gerry. :lol:

but I know what she means - my kids were taught about a good work ethic, and I can tell ya, they seem to be rare in their group of friends... (gawd that sounds pompous - not meant to be, just an observation)

... my 16 year puts up a good fight now on any chores, and I can only hope what I taught him as a boy will eventually take root. My daughter will still work but I get alot more teenage gnashing of teeth over it from her now... but she knows how to do almost any chore that I can - from cooking a full meal, cleaning it up afterwards, doing her own laundry... washing floors... whatever needs doing she does it right there with me... not smiling and whistling a cheery little tune mind ya, in fact I've become almost oblivious to her scowling 'I'm doing chores' face.. kinda like this --> :angry3: but she knows how to take care of herself and her environment and get her hands dirty if need be.

Teaching them was tough though, felt like an uphill battle - their friends literally did not have to do any of the stuff they did - most of them wouldn't even carry their own dish to the kitchen after dinner. It doesn't make it impossible to instill a work ethic in one's own children, but it does make it more difficult when the expectations upon them are different than their peers.

but anyway gerry, how's the food prices in your neck of the woods? :p

unclepercy

Electoral Member
Jun 4, 2005
Baja Canada
Great topic Karrie! :p

In Edmonton McGavin's Bread has a store that is still selling day-old bread for a reasonable price - 10 loaves of whole wheat, white or multi grain for 11.99.
Hotdog/hamburger buns were 2 for about 1.89
Superstore was selling California grown rice for 11.98 for a 22 lb bag last week.
Catelli pasta was high though - about $9.50 for a 4 kg box of spaghetti.

What are you guys noticing going on in your grocery stores lately?

Well, we had prime rib roast for dinner that cost $63.00. Tender as a mother's love, and every scrap was eaten. We had huge rebaked potatoes, asparagus with lemon butter sauce, a fancy green salad, hot rolls and a Boston creme pie.

Things are very expensive here. I don't cook but once a week, even though I'm a pretty good cook. This was the first time I ever cooked prime rib, and it came out perfect. Just a little pink in the middle. I have two refrigerators crammed with food, a huge freezer full too, and a pantry stacked as high as it will go. I was raised by a French mama who always believed in having plenty to eat in the house. My hubby was the only patient our cancer dr. ever had who gained 37 lbs on chemo. We couldn't starve for a very long time. But my husband wouldn't touch rice with a 40 ft. pole.

Uncle

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Ahh, I remember the first time I cooked prime rib. She melted right in front of me. Was a very good evening/morning! :D

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
My wife tell's me that they are rediculous....I look at it like this....I have no control over what the prices are.... we have to eat.....I pay whatever the going rate is.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Many of the purification tablets contain available chlorine, and many also contain flocculants which will enhance the disinfection. The benefit of having filters, such as the regular activated carbon in the Brita filter, is that they will help reduce the turbidity. In the end, the more choices you have for disinfection and sterilization the better.

Oh absolutely. The problem with the tablets though apparently is that many don't contain enough chlorine for purifying water effectively. And they're expensive. And small. Bleach is something most houses have on hand, and, a bottle will disinfect an awful lot of drinking water. That and a Brita and you'd be set.