Low Fat Recipes

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
Having survived heart attack and under going quadruple bypass surgery, I am on a low fat no salt added diet and would love to hear about low fat meal suggestions and substitutions. Am looking for substitutions for butter, cream and eggs in baking recipes. Help on subbing 67%RSF Becel margarine for butter and Naturel Egg product (80% reduced fat and cholesterol) for real eggs would be nice. NO TRANSFATS is most important. Hard to do with dairy or chocolate products.

Any other heart attack survivors out there? Low fat can mean low cal for weight watchers. Hydrogenated oils, saturated fats and trans-fatty acids are my enemies. May not be able to avoid saturated fats, especially in meat but can watch portions.

Frys' Cocoa Brownies (low fat)

1 cup of all purpose flour
1 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp of salt
1 cup of Fry's Cocoa
2 cups of sugar
1 cup of Becel 67%RSF margarine
200 g of Naturel egg
1 1/2 tsp of vanilla
1 cup of chopped walnuts (optional)

Mix flour, baking powder and salt in mixing bowl
In large saucepan melt margarine, remove from heat and mix in sugar, cocoa, and egg product
Mix wet contents in to flour mixture and stir in nuts if used
Pour batter in to a 13x9 baking pan sprayed with Pam or lightly spritzed/wiped with canola oil
Bake in a 350'F pre-heated oven for 30-35 minutes or until done.

Frost as you see fit but lowfat no transfat frostings hard to come by
I found a low fat chocolate frosting. It has .5 g of transfats per 2 tbsp. My need for some sort of chocolate forces me to endure some transfats.

Last edited:

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
First, I wish you a quick and full recovery.

Second, the American Heart Association put out the following and it may perhaps be the ideal book you are looking for:

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
Am still a meat and potatoes kinda guy. Well maybe more fish or chicken with some rice kinda guy. Not much of a veggie fan. Carrots, peas, corn and cauliflower about it. Am slowly becoming a bit more adventurous in my foods but am a ways off from some of the almost vegan stuff. Baking substitutions right now is my next thing. I got a freezer full of seafood, meats and poultry, a fridge full of fresh fruit and above mentioned veggies and a pantry full of condiments, spices, rubs and baking stuff. Not a fan of cooked tomatoes or pasta so that really limits me. Italian is icky. Not a fan of pastas consistency. Same with asian style noodles.

Before heart attack I lived on chocolate, caffiene, sugar and fat. I ate at local pub for 10 years twice a day. Shepards pie, beef dip, wings, fish and chips, pork chops and steak with a bacon and egg sandwich every day. Donuts, chocolate bars and cafe mochas rounded out my menu items. Tim Horton's hot chocolate has 4 g of trans fats per serving. A cafe mocha has 2g. It would take me a month or two to eat 2 g of transfat now. And that would be at .1 g a time from 98% fat reduced chocolate ice cream. .2g from same in ice cream sandwich.

I have tried other veggie combos but did not like any of them. Zuchinnis, broccoli, cabbage, fennel , parsnips, yams you name it. I would make a point of picking something fresh from grocer and give it a try. Bleech, ick, yuck. I have to curry the heck outta my rice and add raisins to make it palatable.

Nikki

Free Thinker
Jul 6, 2006
calgary,ab
www.avonbynikki.com
Am still a meat and potatoes kinda guy. Well maybe more fish or chicken with some rice kinda guy. Not much of a veggie fan. Carrots, peas, corn and cauliflower about it. Am slowly becoming a bit more adventurous in my foods but am a ways off from some of the almost vegan stuff. Baking substitutions right now is my next thing. I got a freezer full of seafood, meats and poultry, a fridge full of fresh fruit and above mentioned veggies and a pantry full of condiments, spices, rubs and baking stuff. Not a fan of cooked tomatoes or pasta so that really limits me. Italian is icky. Not a fan of pastas consistency. Same with asian style noodles.

Before heart attack I lived on chocolate, caffiene, sugar and fat. I ate at local pub for 10 years twice a day. Shepards pie, beef dip, wings, fish and chips, pork chops and steak with a bacon and egg sandwich every day. Donuts, chocolate bars and cafe mochas rounded out my menu items. Tim Horton's hot chocolate has 4 g of trans fats per serving. A cafe mocha has 2g. It would take me a month or two to eat 2 g of transfat now. And that would be at .1 g a time from 98% fat reduced chocolate ice cream. .2g from same in ice cream sandwich.

I have tried other veggie combos but did not like any of them. Zuchinnis, broccoli, cabbage, fennel , parsnips, yams you name it. I would make a point of picking something fresh from grocer and give it a try. Bleech, ick, yuck. I have to curry the heck outta my rice and add raisins to make it palatable.

Wow that sucks man. Sorry. Hmm low fat. Well I do have a recipie for cabage rolls that is really good. Not sure if it is low fat though..

1/2 LB lean ground beef
1 cabbage
1 tomoto
1 Onion Gratted
1/2 cup Cooked Rice

And spices of your choice.

Cook up your meat and mix in rice tomoto ( i know you said you dont like it but you cant taste it). Freeze your cabbage then take it out of the freezer and let thaw when ready to use. Then peel off the leafs and roll up your cabage. Serve on own or as a side dish. Its really good with a low fat tomoto sauce.

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
Fat

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Substitutes:[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]For baking [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Reducing fat will give baked goods a more dense texture. To fix this, try to increase the sugar in the recipe and/or beating the egg whites and folding them into the batter. Also try to use a softer flour (i.e. cake or pastry flour). [/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Applesauce: it can replace up to ¾ of the shortening required in many recipes. Add with the liquid ingredients in the recipes and reduce sugar in the recipe if the applesauce is sweetened.[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Pureed prunes: these can replace up to ¾ of the shortening required in many recipes. Works really well with chocolate. Add with the liquid ingredients.[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Apple butter: it can replace up to ¾ of the shortening required in many recipes. Add with the liquid ingredients in the recipes and reduce sugar in the recipe if the applesauce is sweetened.[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Fruit-based fat substitutes[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]: works well when baking with chocolate. Add with the liquid ingredients in the recipe. For best results, substitute only 3/4 of the fat with this.[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Bananas: Use mashed and measure for measure.[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Reduce or omit: In many recipes for muffins, quick breads, and cookies, you can reduce the amount of fat in the recipe by about a third without seriously compromising the quality.[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Oil: avoid substituting oils for solid fats when baking cakes, cookies, and pastries. Doing so will make the dish greasy and dense. If you must do so, substitute 3 parts oil for every 4 parts solid fat. It would be a good idea to increase the amount of eggs and sugar in the recipe. Pie crusts made with oil aren't as flaky as those made with solid fat.[/SIZE][/FONT]

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
Lard [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Substitutes:[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Butter: use inbaked items. Pastry made with butter instead of lard may be less flaky and tender. 5 tablespoons of butter are equivalent to 4 tablespoons of lard. [/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Margarine: use inbaked items. Pastry made with butter instead of lard may be less flaky and tender. 5 tablespoons of butter are equivalent to 4 tablespoons of lard. [/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Vegetable shortening [/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Vegetable oil:this is good for frying.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Nikki

Free Thinker
Jul 6, 2006
calgary,ab
www.avonbynikki.com
Ok so I dug out my low fat recipies from the back of my recipie binder. What kind of things are you looking for??

I am looking in my book here and there is a spice you can buy called "spike" you can get it in regular and no salt added. Its suppose to season things without any fat. It also reccomends Fructose in here. What kinds of things are you looking for. Let me know and I can post some recipies for you :).
and what kind of low fat? Like are you looking for low in Calories salt etc. :). Anyway here is a couple to start with...

Sesame Chicken Serves 4
1/4 reduced sodium Soy Sauce
1 Scallion Sliced
1 TbSP Dijon Mustard
1 TSP seasame oil
1 TBSP Ginger root, peeled and chopped
1 TbSP frozen OJ from concentrate
1 lb chicken breast, boneless, skinless, and cut into 1 in thick cubes
1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
1 tbsp parsley chopped

Mix together first 6 ingrd in 1 quart measure, Add chicken and marinate for at least 1 hour, turning a few times. When ready to cook, remove chicken and arrange it in 9-in baking dish. Cover with wax paper and microwave on high for 3 to 4 mins. Turn chicken pieces, cover again and microwave on high for another 3 to 4 minutes. Chicken is done when it is white. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and parelsey

Nutritional Data:
Calories: approx 133
Fat 4.4 g
Salt 0.9 G
Cholestrol (mg) 45.7

I have also got a tone of low fat dessert recipies if you are interested. Let me know. You can also check chapters (or local book store) you can find a whole section on low fat recipies. One of the books I have used in the past is " 1001 low fat recipes second edition. quick, easy, great tasting recipies for the whole family. Edited by Sue Spliter with Linda R yoakam,R.D" this book is great because it has your nutritional data in it so you know exactly wha tis what. Probably where I got the above recipe from :). From what I can remember they are fairly cheap too if you buy on line...

Low Fat book Link

low fat dessert link

LOW Carb

Last edited:

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
I haven't had a heart attack-YET but my father survived a massive one. I would use fat free salad dressing (preferbly all natural no sodium or perservatives added) to grill fish, chicken, shrimp, they pack a powerful punch with few calories or no fat. A George Forman grill is a great way to grill lean cuts of meat or fish (no bigger than a pack of cards don't ya know).

Make chilli with chicken breasts instead of hamburger or beef, use several kinds of beans to make it chunky and nutrient rich.

RomSpaceKnight wrote: I have tried other veggie combos but did not like any of them. Zuchinnis, broccoli, cabbage, fennel , parsnips, yams you name it. I would make a point of picking something fresh from grocer and give it a try. Bleech, ick, yuck. I have to curry the heck outta my rice and add raisins to make it palatable.

LOL I haven't eaten a piece of fruit in twenty years, who says you need that stuff or you will get scurvy. I'm living proof that one can survive without fruits or vegetables. Stay strong Rom. Do you have a Heart and Stroke Foundation in your area? Weight watchers has some great heart smart recipes

Nikki

Free Thinker
Jul 6, 2006
calgary,ab
www.avonbynikki.com
LOL I haven't eaten a piece of fruit in twenty years, who says you need that stuff or you will get scurvy. I'm living proof that one can survive without fruits or vegetables. Stay strong Rom. Do you have a Heart and Stroke Foundation in your area? Weight watchers has some great heart smart recipes

How can you not like fruit!?