Low Fat Recipes

RomSpaceKnight
Having survived heart attack and under going quadruple bypass surgery, I am on a low fat no salt added diet and would love to hear about low fat meal suggestions and substitutions. Am looking for substitutions for butter, cream and eggs in baking recipes. Help on subbing 67%RSF Becel margarine for butter and Naturel Egg product (80% reduced fat and cholesterol) for real eggs would be nice. NO TRANSFATS is most important. Hard to do with dairy or chocolate products.

Any other heart attack survivors out there? Low fat can mean low cal for weight watchers. Hydrogenated oils, saturated fats and trans-fatty acids are my enemies. May not be able to avoid saturated fats, especially in meat but can watch portions.

Frys' Cocoa Brownies (low fat)

1 cup of all purpose flour
1 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp of salt
1 cup of Fry's Cocoa
2 cups of sugar
1 cup of Becel 67%RSF margarine
200 g of Naturel egg
1 1/2 tsp of vanilla
1 cup of chopped walnuts (optional)

Mix flour, baking powder and salt in mixing bowl
In large saucepan melt margarine, remove from heat and mix in sugar, cocoa, and egg product
Mix wet contents in to flour mixture and stir in nuts if used
Pour batter in to a 13x9 baking pan sprayed with Pam or lightly spritzed/wiped with canola oil
Bake in a 350'F pre-heated oven for 30-35 minutes or until done.

Frost as you see fit but lowfat no transfat frostings hard to come by
I found a low fat chocolate frosting. It has .5 g of transfats per 2 tbsp. My need for some sort of chocolate forces me to endure some transfats.
Last edited by RomSpaceKnight; Dec 13th, 2006 at 05:11 PM..Reason: Forgot to add vannila, oops sorry

gopher
First, I wish you a quick and full recovery.

Second, the American Heart Association put out the following and it may perhaps be the ideal book you are looking for:

RomSpaceKnight
Am still a meat and potatoes kinda guy. Well maybe more fish or chicken with some rice kinda guy. Not much of a veggie fan. Carrots, peas, corn and cauliflower about it. Am slowly becoming a bit more adventurous in my foods but am a ways off from some of the almost vegan stuff. Baking substitutions right now is my next thing. I got a freezer full of seafood, meats and poultry, a fridge full of fresh fruit and above mentioned veggies and a pantry full of condiments, spices, rubs and baking stuff. Not a fan of cooked tomatoes or pasta so that really limits me. Italian is icky. Not a fan of pastas consistency. Same with asian style noodles.

Before heart attack I lived on chocolate, caffiene, sugar and fat. I ate at local pub for 10 years twice a day. Shepards pie, beef dip, wings, fish and chips, pork chops and steak with a bacon and egg sandwich every day. Donuts, chocolate bars and cafe mochas rounded out my menu items. Tim Horton's hot chocolate has 4 g of trans fats per serving. A cafe mocha has 2g. It would take me a month or two to eat 2 g of transfat now. And that would be at .1 g a time from 98% fat reduced chocolate ice cream. .2g from same in ice cream sandwich.

I have tried other veggie combos but did not like any of them. Zuchinnis, broccoli, cabbage, fennel , parsnips, yams you name it. I would make a point of picking something fresh from grocer and give it a try. Bleech, ick, yuck. I have to curry the heck outta my rice and add raisins to make it palatable.

selfactivated
This sounded good its low fat Garlic Scallops (it wont lrt me copy it to here but the links have great ideas.

www.southbeachrecipes.com/rec...illed-scallops (external - login to view)

www.southbeachrecipes.com/ (external - login to view)

Nikki
Quote: Originally Posted by RomSpaceKnightView Post

Am still a meat and potatoes kinda guy. Well maybe more fish or chicken with some rice kinda guy. Not much of a veggie fan. Carrots, peas, corn and cauliflower about it. Am slowly becoming a bit more adventurous in my foods but am a ways off from some of the almost vegan stuff. Baking substitutions right now is my next thing. I got a freezer full of seafood, meats and poultry, a fridge full of fresh fruit and above mentioned veggies and a pantry full of condiments, spices, rubs and baking stuff. Not a fan of cooked tomatoes or pasta so that really limits me. Italian is icky. Not a fan of pastas consistency. Same with asian style noodles.
Before heart attack I lived on chocolate, caffiene, sugar and fat. I ate at local pub for 10 years twice a day. Shepards pie, beef dip, wings, fish and chips, pork chops and steak with a bacon and egg sandwich every day. Donuts, chocolate bars and cafe mochas rounded out my menu items. Tim Horton's hot chocolate has 4 g of trans fats per serving. A cafe mocha has 2g. It would take me a month or two to eat 2 g of transfat now. And that would be at .1 g a time from 98% fat reduced chocolate ice cream. .2g from same in ice cream sandwich.
I have tried other veggie combos but did not like any of them. Zuchinnis, broccoli, cabbage, fennel , parsnips, yams you name it. I would make a point of picking something fresh from grocer and give it a try. Bleech, ick, yuck. I have to curry the heck outta my rice and add...

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post
Wow that sucks man. Sorry. Hmm low fat. Well I do have a recipie for cabage rolls that is really good. Not sure if it is low fat though..

1/2 LB lean ground beef
1 cabbage
1 tomoto
1 Onion Gratted
1/2 cup Cooked Rice

And spices of your choice.

Cook up your meat and mix in rice tomoto ( i know you said you dont like it but you cant taste it). Freeze your cabbage then take it out of the freezer and let thaw when ready to use. Then peel off the leafs and roll up your cabage. Serve on own or as a side dish. Its really good with a low fat tomoto sauce.

selfactivated
I LOVE stuffed cabbage! If you use grape leaves it makes it fancy and I like the bitter taste it has.

RomSpaceKnight
Fat

Substitutes:
For baking
Reducing fat will give baked goods a more dense texture. To fix this, try to increase the sugar in the recipe and/or beating the egg whites and folding them into the batter. Also try to use a softer flour (i.e. cake or pastry flour).
  • Applesauce: it can replace up to of the shortening required in many recipes. Add with the liquid ingredients in the recipes and reduce sugar in the recipe if the applesauce is sweetened.
  • Pureed prunes: these can replace up to of the shortening required in many recipes. Works really well with chocolate. Add with the liquid ingredients.
  • Apple butter: it can replace up to of the shortening required in many recipes. Add with the liquid ingredients in the recipes and reduce sugar in the recipe if the applesauce is sweetened.
  • Fruit-based fat substitutes: works well when baking with chocolate. Add with the liquid ingredients in the recipe. For best results, substitute only 3/4 of the fat with this.
  • Bananas: Use mashed and measure for measure.
  • Reduce or omit: In many recipes for muffins, quick breads, and cookies, you can reduce the amount of fat in the recipe by about a third without seriously compromising the quality.
  • Oil: avoid substituting oils for solid fats when baking cakes, cookies, and pastries. Doing so will make the dish greasy and dense. If you must do so, substitute 3 parts oil for every 4 parts solid fat. It would be a good idea to increase the amount of eggs and sugar in the recipe. Pie crusts made with oil aren't as flaky as those made with solid fat.

RomSpaceKnight
http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/publ...t/lcal_fat.htm

Good list of lower fat substitutes

RomSpaceKnight
Lard Substitutes:
  • Butter: use inbaked items. Pastry made with butter instead of lard may be less flaky and tender. 5 tablespoons of butter are equivalent to 4 tablespoons of lard.
  • Margarine: use inbaked items. Pastry made with butter instead of lard may be less flaky and tender. 5 tablespoons of butter are equivalent to 4 tablespoons of lard.
  • Vegetable shortening
  • Vegetable oil:this is good for frying.

RomSpaceKnight
Thanks Nikki and Selfactivated for some cool links.

Nikki
Ok so I dug out my low fat recipies from the back of my recipie binder. What kind of things are you looking for??

I am looking in my book here and there is a spice you can buy called "spike" you can get it in regular and no salt added. Its suppose to season things without any fat. It also reccomends Fructose in here. What kinds of things are you looking for. Let me know and I can post some recipies for you .
and what kind of low fat? Like are you looking for low in Calories salt etc. . Anyway here is a couple to start with...

Sesame Chicken Serves 4
1/4 reduced sodium Soy Sauce
1 Scallion Sliced
1 TbSP Dijon Mustard
1 TSP seasame oil
1 TBSP Ginger root, peeled and chopped
1 TbSP frozen OJ from concentrate
1 lb chicken breast, boneless, skinless, and cut into 1 in thick cubes
1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
1 tbsp parsley chopped

Mix together first 6 ingrd in 1 quart measure, Add chicken and marinate for at least 1 hour, turning a few times. When ready to cook, remove chicken and arrange it in 9-in baking dish. Cover with wax paper and microwave on high for 3 to 4 mins. Turn chicken pieces, cover again and microwave on high for another 3 to 4 minutes. Chicken is done when it is white. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and parelsey

Nutritional Data:
Calories: approx 133
Fat 4.4 g
Salt 0.9 G
Cholestrol (mg) 45.7

I have also got a tone of low fat dessert recipies if you are interested. Let me know. You can also check chapters (or local book store) you can find a whole section on low fat recipies. One of the books I have used in the past is " 1001 low fat recipes second edition. quick, easy, great tasting recipies for the whole family. Edited by Sue Spliter with Linda R yoakam,R.D" this book is great because it has your nutritional data in it so you know exactly wha tis what. Probably where I got the above recipe from . From what I can remember they are fairly cheap too if you buy on line...

Low Fat book Link (external - login to view)

low fat dessert link (external - login to view)

LOW Carb (external - login to view)
Last edited by Nikki; Dec 13th, 2006 at 07:54 PM..Reason: adding info

selfactivated
Your quite welcome Love. I'll keep looking. Maybe we can start our own series of cookbooks eh? lol
Last edited by selfactivated; Dec 13th, 2006 at 07:57 PM..

RomSpaceKnight
homecooking.about.com/library.../bl010598a.htm (external - login to view)

Lots of low fat recipes here

RomSpaceKnight
I got the low fat main and appetizer courses down not to bad. Desserts and baked goods is my next challenge.

Nikki

I got the low fat main and appetizer courses down not to bad. Desserts and baked goods is my next challenge.

Well you should really check out those books that I linked above. I think they are like $20 or something. check it out.

Sassylassie
I haven't had a heart attack-YET but my father survived a massive one. I would use fat free salad dressing (preferbly all natural no sodium or perservatives added) to grill fish, chicken, shrimp, they pack a powerful punch with few calories or no fat. A George Forman grill is a great way to grill lean cuts of meat or fish (no bigger than a pack of cards don't ya know).

Make chilli with chicken breasts instead of hamburger or beef, use several kinds of beans to make it chunky and nutrient rich.

RomSpaceKnight wrote: I have tried other veggie combos but did not like any of them. Zuchinnis, broccoli, cabbage, fennel , parsnips, yams you name it. I would make a point of picking something fresh from grocer and give it a try. Bleech, ick, yuck. I have to curry the heck outta my rice and add raisins to make it palatable.

LOL I haven't eaten a piece of fruit in twenty years, who says you need that stuff or you will get scurvy. I'm living proof that one can survive without fruits or vegetables. Stay strong Rom. Do you have a Heart and Stroke Foundation in your area? Weight watchers has some great heart smart recipes

RomSpaceKnight
Am going to chapters this weekend, I think.

RomSpaceKnight
Much appreciated ladies. Keep em coming.

selfactivated
Whats Chapters?

Nikki
Quote: Originally Posted by SassylassieView Post

LOL I haven't eaten a piece of fruit in twenty years, who says you need that stuff or you will get scurvy. I'm living proof that one can survive without fruits or vegetables. Stay strong Rom. Do you have a Heart and Stroke Foundation in your area? Weight watchers has some great heart smart recipes

How can you not like fruit!?

Nikki
Quote: Originally Posted by selfactivatedView Post

Whats Chapters?

Big canadian book store.

selfactivated
Quote: Originally Posted by NikkiView Post

Big canadian book store.

OHHHHHH like Barnes and Nobles here.

Nikki
Quote: Originally Posted by selfactivatedView Post

OHHHHHH like Barnes and Nobles here.

Exactly.

RomSpaceKnight
Fruit is nature's candy. Lots of water soluble fiber, vitamin C and natural unrefined sugars. I got strawberries, raspberries, apples, bannanas, pineapple, mango, pears and oranges in my fridge. Water soluble fiber bonds with bile to help flush excess cholesterol out. Vitamin C is an anti-oxident. Gets rid of cancer causing free radicals and helps artery walls stay thin and supple.

For you guys out there I got laid the other month based on my serving strawberries and fat free evap milk when a lady friend came over for a dinner date. That was the clincher I guess. So you can bet strawberries will ALWAYS be found in my fridge.

Nikki

Fruit is nature's candy. Lots of water soluble fiber, vitamin C and natural unrefined sugars. I got strawberries, raspberries, apples, bannanas, pineapple, mango, pears and oranges in my fridge. Water soluble fiber bonds with bile to help flush excess cholesterol out. Vitamin C is an anti-oxident. Gets rid of cancer causing free radicals and helps artery walls stay thin and supple.

For you guys out there I got laid the other month based on my serving strawberries and fat free evap milk when a lady friend came over for a dinner date. That was the clincher I guess. So you can bet strawberries will ALWAYS be found in my fridge.

LOL... men.

selfactivated
LOL hmmm I'll have to remember that the next time Im served strawberries at a gentleman friends house.....he just looking to get laid. LOL Sweetheart? I am really positive it wasnt your strawberries that did it

Sassylassie

Much appreciated ladies. Keep em coming.

Lasses becareful the next thing ya know we'll be stir frying his food in a wok for him.
Rom one thing to be really careful of is prepackaged food, if it comes in a box or a can or it's a frozen meal chances are it's not good for you. The package may say low fat but it's the sodium and perservatives that will kill you, check out a can of veggies freaking scary. The same goes for packaged dry and frozen food, fresh is best. Sorry but it's true. However Sea Salt you can have, so buy a package of it and use a pepper mill to grind it and you can use it at will. I curious about no eggs or real butter thou, the new studies have proven that eggs are "Rich in Omega 3 fatty acid" which is good for your heart so eggs (Yolk) should not be on the no eat list. Real butter is much better for you than that low fat man made crap that taste like water, I think the Docs. have been slow updating the list on what you can have and what you can't have? Opps I dropped my potatoe chip on the floor, no harm no foul I just dusted off the dog hair.

RomSpaceKnight
lol I do have a wok I bought that I haven't had a chance to try yet. Volunteers? I got some Thai and Vietnamese stir fry recipes that include carrots and peas. Fried and steamed rice are featured. With curry and asian chillies making an appearance. Chicken and pork is called for. Should give it a try this weekend. I experiment with new stuff on weekends when I got time to toss it all out if it don't work and try again. It is important NOT to try new recipes on others. Get it right first then spring it on them.

There is nothing preprepared in my house any more. Some low fat soups maybe in cans. The diet is low fat no salt added. Salt ok to cook with as it breaks down in cooking. Just no salt when served. I got NO SALT for seasoning after. I think it is pottassium chloride not sodium iodine. I do have sea salt for seasoning meats before cooking. It's a genetic thing. My liver produces way to much cholesterol and fat stimulates it's production. There are good fats and bad fats. The saturated and trans fats are bad. Most others are good fats. Naturel has Omega 3 eggs. I think they feed flax seed to their chickens. See my post in Selfactivated's Dinning Alone for a list of what is in my freezer. The Joy of Cooking says all veggies contain all required nutrients and vitamins. So a limited scope of veggies is not too bad. Some veggies contain extra or more of some things but as long as you eat some veggies you are not missing out. Just gets a little boring sometimes. Before HA did not care. Could go without veggies for days and not think twice. When I do my carrots, peas, corn or cauliflower they swamp plate and bury any meat on it.

RomSpaceKnight
So far we have:
www.southbeachrecipes.com/ (external - login to view)
http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/publ...t/lcal_fat.htm
www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/...ue+splitler%27 (external - login to view)
www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/...ue+splitler%27 (external - login to view)
www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/...+splitler' (external - login to view)
homecooking.about.com/library.../bl010598a.htm (external - login to view)
www.fatfree.com/ (external - login to view)
www.bakinglowfat.com/ (external - login to view)
www.healthwisefoods.com/commo...2CE64E9C752E24 (external - login to view)

selfactivated
Been a busy beaver eh?