US fast food chain in Malaysia told to change hot dog name

spaminator
US fast food chain in Malaysia told to change hot dog name
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
First posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2016 01:03 AM EDT
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia — Hot dogs, or at least the name, will soon be off the menu for a U.S. fast food chain selling the popular snack in Malaysia.
The chain, Auntie Anne’s, has been told by Islamic authorities that its popular Pretzel Dog, which contains no dog meat, has to be renamed as it is confusing for Muslim consumers.
The Malaysian Islamic Development Department has told the U.S. company to banish the word “dog” from its menu and suggested that the frankfurter wrapped in a pretzel be called Pretzel Sausage as part of conditions to obtain halal certification based on Islamic dietary laws. Dogs are deemed unclean in Islam.
“It is more appropriate to use the name Pretzel Sausage,” the department’s halal director Sirajuddin Suhaimee told local media.
The move is not surprising in mainly Muslim Malaysia, where conservative attitudes have been on the rise. A wide range of products have been certified halal, from mineral water to a newly launched Internet browser and household products to appeal to Muslims, who make up about 60 per cent of the country’s 30 million people.
Auntie Anne’s said it will comply with the request. Its halal executive, Farhatul Kamilah, said on her Facebook page that the chain has proposed several new names and was waiting for the Islamic department’s approval.
Other food outlets selling hot dogs face similar rules. U.S. fast food chain A&W earlier obtained its halal certification in Malaysia. In return, its famous root beer is simply called RB on its menu and hot dogs are coneys and franks, short for frankfurters.
In this Tuesday, Oct. 18, 2016 photo, customer purchase Pretzel at Auntie Anne's at a shopping mall in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Hot dogs, or at least the name, will soon be off the menu for a U.S. fast food chain selling the popular snack in Malaysia. The chain, Auntie Anne's, has been told by Islamic authorities that its popular Pretzel Dog, which contains no dog meat, has to be renamed as it is confusing for Muslim consumers. (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)

US fast food chain in Malaysia told to change hot dog name | World | News | Toro

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by spaminatorView Post

The chain, Auntie Anne’s, has been told by Islamic authorities that its popular Pretzel Dog, which contains no dog meat, has to be renamed as it is confusing for Muslim consumers.

Whadda they got against pretzels?

I calculate damn near everything is "confusing for Muslim consumers," considering the undiluted pigsh*t they consume as their religion.

lone wolf
Take a turd, mix in lots of curry. Serve it on a toasted bun to politically/religiously correct whiners. They'll love it ... until they realize what ca-ca is....
Last edited by lone wolf; Oct 19th, 2016 at 09:06 AM..

Remington1
Wouldn't want the west to corrupt or confuse anybody now, soon all those saints will be returning home form Mosul !!

Blackleaf
They're easy to confuse, are Muslins.

Cannuck
+2
#6  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

They're easy to confuse, are Muslins.

Says the guy that still believes in ghosts

Machjo
Those Malaysians seem to be suffering a bout of Quebecitis.

Corduroy
+2
I wonder if Malaysia headlines read: "Western babies freak out because we changed the word for hot dog!" It's going to be OK guys. Put the cluster bomb down.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by CorduroyView Post

I wonder if Malaysia headlines read: "Western babies freak out because we changed the word for hot dog!" It's going to be OK guys. Put the cluster bomb down.

I'm not sure laughing is necessarily a sign of "freaking out."

Cannuck

Those Malaysians are crazy. That kinda stuff would never occur here. Could you imagine if we quit calling n*gger babies, n*gger babies just because of some overly sensitive putz.

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

Says the guy that still believes in ghosts

Of course I believe in ghosts - because they exist.

A third of Britons claim to have seen a ghost.

Cannuck

Of course I believe in ghosts - because they exist.

A third of Britons claim to have seen a ghost.

Further proof the Brittish are a very silly people

Tecumsehsbones
As I've said repeatedly, Brits are retarded.

Blackleaf

Further proof the Brittish are a very silly people

There's nothing silly about it. My mate used to live in a flat on the Roman road in Darwen which was haunted by a woman's head. He also used to hear footsteps walking around upstairs late at night whilst he was watching TV. He lives on his own.

I've even stayed the night there, but nothing happened whilst I was there. He doesn't live there now.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+2
Seems to me this is because they are seeking the halal designation. Their rules.

darkbeaver

Why is the killing floor waste called a hot dog in the first place?

Cannuck

There's nothing silly about it.

Of course there is

Quote:

My mate used to live in a flat on the Roman road in Darwen which was haunted by a woman's head.

No it wasn't

Quote:

He also used to hear footsteps walking around upstairs late at night whilst he was watching TV.

No he didn't

Quote:

I've even stayed the night there, but nothing happened whilst I was there.

Surprise surprise.

You're so silly

lone wolf

Those Malaysians are crazy. That kinda stuff would never occur here. Could you imagine if we quit calling n*gger babies, n*gger babies just because of some overly sensitive putz.

...or Cleveland Indians

Blackleaf

Of course there is

Only in your opinion.

Quote:

No it wasn't

It was. I was a woman's head.

Quote:

No he didn't

Erm, yes he did. He used to sit in his living room late at night watching telly and heard the footsteps walking around upstairs.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

...or Cleveland Indians

We prefer the term "Northern Ohio Drunken Savages."

Blackleaf
Quote:

Surprise surprise.

You're so silly

It was very spooky, though, sat in his living room late at night swigging lager and having a chat knowing the place is haunted. The ghost also haunts the Paki shop right next door.

Corduroy

There's nothing silly about it. My mate used to live in a flat on the Roman road in Darwen which was haunted by a woman's head. He also used to hear footsteps walking around upstairs late at night whilst he was watching TV. He lives on his own.

How does a ghost head make footsteps? Now if you described it as a ghostly rolling then I'd believe you.

Cannuck

Only in your opinion.

Nope, science says your silly

Tecumsehsbones

How does a ghost head make footsteps? Now if you described it as a ghostly rolling then I'd believe you.

British ghosts can, because they're the greatest ghosts in history!

Cannuck

It was very spooky, though, ...

I'm sure. People that believe in such nonsense spook easily

DaSleeper

Blackleaf

How does ANY ghost make footsteps? They aren't solid, after all. Yet they manage to do so.

Bollocks.

Cannuck

How does ANY ghost make footsteps? They aren't solid, after all...

Well, there's that and there's also the fact that they aren't real and only exist in the heads of ridiculously silly people

Danbones
remember freedom fries?
yanks are so effed up

just like the no dog in a hot dog
fried...Yup
freedom...not so much

"An exclusive look back at the Conservative revenge against the French for not joining its coalition of the willing: the crusade of Freedom Fries and a boycott of French products, promoted by Fox News."
nomadicpolitics.blogspot.com/...dom-fries.html (external - login to view)

Blackleaf

Well, there's that and there's also the fact that they aren't real

Well many people take the opposite view.

no new posts