Boneless blade roast

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The boneless blade roast is probably the best pot roast out there. For me, the roast should be about 14 or fifteen inches long and four inches in diameter. After it is cooked, you cut the roast accross the grain the whole length of the roast. Be sure and cut half way between the butcher string so that the string holds the roast slices together

Now, the cooking. In hot oil, brown the roast on all sides and the ends. Haul out your smallest, covered.pan that will hold the roast. Next, stuff in as many carrots and onions as you can all around the roast in the pan. Add a couple garlic cloves, a couple Bay Leaves, a can of beef broth, cover and slow cook it on low for eight hours.

You can use your slo cooker as well. I use the slow cook feature on our stove because it is there.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
The boneless blade roast is probably the best pot roast out there. For me, the roast should be about 14 or fifteen inches long and four inches in diameter. After it is cooked, you cut the roast accross the grain the whole length of the roast. Be sure and cut half way between the butcher string so that the string holds the roast slices together

Now, the cooking. In hot oil, brown the roast on all sides and the ends. Haul out your smallest, covered.pan that will hold the roast. Next, stuff in as many carrots and onions as you can all around the roast in the pan. Add a couple garlic cloves, a couple Bay Leaves, a can of beef broth, cover and slow cook it on low for eight hours.

You can use your slo cooker as well. I use the slow cook feature on our stove because it is there.

good info, and at the price of the high end roasts, that is the one to buy, i wandered past the meat dept.
at thriftys the other day, and the price of meat and poultry is disgusting, prices have increased so
much i wonder why anyone would buy most of it.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Yep, I think blade roasts are about the best bang for the buck!

good info, and at the price of the high end roasts, that is the one to buy, i wandered past the meat dept.
at thriftys the other day, and the price of meat and poultry is disgusting, prices have increased so
much i wonder why anyone would buy most of it.

You got that right. Any time I can get beef for under $4 a lb. I buy a quantity of it......over $4 I generally shy away. One little tip about chicken.............about once a month Safeway has a 4 kg. box of boneless chicken breast on for $26.36 ($2.99/lb.) I always snatch up one of those. I don't submit to Highway robbery.:)

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Buy a side or quarter and suddenly expensive cuts are the same as ground.

We have a seven cubic foot freezer on the bottom of the fridge. As well, we have an eleven cubic foot chest freezer and there is no way we have room for a side of beef or even a hind quarter. We do eat other things besides beef.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
We have a seven cubic foot freezer on the bottom of the fridge. As well, we have an eleven cubic foot chest freezer and there is no way we have room for a side of beef or even a hind quarter. We do eat other things besides beef.

Beef is on the verge of being unaffordable. We are buying more pork now and if you buy the pork steaks (not the chops) they are just as tasty at 1/2 the price. A good sized roast of beef nowadays can run you $40 - $60.