Why Europeans Don't Refrigerate Their Eggs

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
British supermarkets don't refrigerate eggs. The breakfast food can be found hanging out between the canned vegetables and boxes of dry cake mix in the grocery store aisle with other traditionally nonperishable foods.

This surprised me since in the U.S., eggs are typically found in the refrigerated dairy aisle with the butter, cheeses, and milk. So what's the deal? Why doesn't anyone in the U.K. freak out over eggs sitting in room temperatures for days on end?

It seems that different egg storage conditions come down to the different ways that eggs are farmed and processed in the U.S. compared to the U.K. and other European nations.

In the U.S., the Department of Agriculture (USDA) requires that eggs destined to be sold on supermarket shelves — called graded eggs — are washed and sprayed with a chemical sanitizer before they are sold to the public to reduce the risk of salmonella infection.

In the U.K., Grade A hen eggs may not be washed because the process is thought to "aid the transfer of harmful bacteria like salmonella from the outside to the inside of the egg," according to the Food Safety Authority of Ireland . In fact, Forbes contributor Nadia Arumugam pointed out that USDA graded eggs could not be legally sold in the U.K. ( and the other way around) d ue to these different preparation methods.

That still leaves the question of why American eggs have to be washed in the first place and how this is related to refrigeration.

There are two ways that salmonella can infect eggs. The bacteria can be passed on from an infected hen to the inside of the egg as it's developing, or it can get onto the outside of the shell after the egg is laid by coming into contact with the hen's feces.

In the U.S., large-scale laying houses are preferred over free-range system because farmers can produce more eggs on a smaller amount of land. Even with good sanitary practices, the factory farm environment makes eggs more susceptible to contamination. Eggs are moved directly from the hen house to a conveyer belt that takes them through a washer. The eggs are sprayed afterward.

It's critical that the eggs are washed properly, otherwise this method can actually the increase the chances of bacteria seeping into the shell from feces on the outside of it. "Wetting a dirty shell provides moisture in which bacteria may breed and assists their growth and penetration through the shell," the USDA's Egg Grading manual explains.

To get around the chance of that happening, the washing solution has to be hot enough — a minimum of 90 degrees F — to prevent the inside contents from contracting slightly as it cools and drawing dirty water in through the shell, the USDA said.

Europe takes a different approach to prevent salmonella contamination. "The priority in egg production is to produce clean eggs at the point of collection, rather than trying to clean them afterwards," according to food safety officials in Ireland. "There is also a suggestion that not allowing cleaning eggs in the EU might help maintain good farm husbandry and practices," said Mark Fielder, a professor at London’s Kingston University and medical microbiology expert.

Additionally, scientists have found that the washing process may damage an outside layer of the egg shell known as the cuticle. Without that chemical barrier, it becomes easier for bacteria to penetrate the inside of a clean egg. Cooler temperatures might prevent the eggs from deteriorating as quickly as well as the growth of bacteria.

Fielder believes that refrigeration is related to " whether local advice recommends this practice or not." Once eggs are washed, the USDA stipulates that clean eggs be immediately moved to cooler rooms that maintain a temperature of 45 degrees F or lower. Dirty eggs may be stored in temperatures of up to 60 degrees F.

After an egg is refrigerated egg, it must be kept at that temperature. "A cold egg left out at room temperature can sweat, facilitating the growth of bacteria that could contaminate the egg," according to the United Egg Producers association . " Refrigerated eggs should not be left out more than two hours."

That's why the Centers For Disease Control and Prevention recommend that U.S. consumers keep eggs refrigerated at temperatures of 40 degrees F, in order to prevent illness from bacteria. "I n the EU it is generally suggested that eggs are stored at an ambient temperature of around 17 to 23 degrees C (62 to 73 degrees F)," said Fielder.

Eggs are found in the refrigerated aisle (with the milk) in American grocery stores.

But there's another reason the U.K is not as concerned about washing eggs as the U.S.: Salmonella is not as big of a health concern in Britain. Egg farmers have began vaccinating their hens since 1997, after thousands of people were sickened by the bacteria.

Although vaccination has been linked to a rapid decline of salmonella cases in the U.K., U.S. regulators have still not mandated immunizations, although many eggs producers do vaccinate their hens today. In 2010, the FDA said they would not legally require the vaccination of hens because "there was not enough evidence to conclude that vaccinating hens against salmonella would prevent people from getting sick," The New York Times reported. Farmers also complained that it would be expensive. Instead, the FDA controls the threat of salmonella through regular testing, refrigeration standards, and strict sanitary codes in hen houses and processing areas, the Times said.

Salmonella is the most common cause of food poisoning in the U.S., according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The organization estimates that more than 140,000 people get sick each year from eating eggs contaminated with the bacteria, which triggers non-life-threatening (though unpleasant) symptoms like diarrhea, cramps, and vomiting.

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/why-europe-doesnt-refrigerate-eggs-164710113.html

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I've never thought it odd for shops to not sell refrigerated eggs. It's just something I've always known. It's normal.

The Yanks like to be different from everyone else, though.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
yes the Europeans do many things differently with their food...we have drank the cool aide

everything is safer and better here...

until it isn't

I live on eggs...I wish they would get it right

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
yes the Europeans do many things differently with their food...we have drank the cool aide

until it isn't

I live on eggs...I wish they would get it right

It isn't a matter of getting it right, there is no right or wrong. It's simply different processes and procedures. The end product in both scenarios is safe if the process is followed properly from beginning to end.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
My grandma had a small farmlet and her hens (esp the Rhode Island Reds) provided good, wholesome eggs. Grandma never washed them and there never was any health issue. Still, I prefer that they be refrigerated as they are transported over a long period of time and great distances - you never know what contaminants they might pick up along the way to the market.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
My grandma had a small farmlet and her hens (esp the Rhode Island Reds) provided good, wholesome eggs. Grandma never washed them and there never was any health issue. Still, I prefer that they be refrigerated as they are transported over a long period of time and great distances - you never know what contaminants they might pick up along the way to the market.
true enough...distance needs to be considered our provinces and states are bigger than most countries in Europe

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

Have you got any evidence for that?

Saying that North American food is better than European food is one of the stupidest things I've ever read in my entire life.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
From what I gather you read an enormous ammount of stupid material so your opinion in this matter carries great weight.

I'll ask again: Where is the EVIDENCE that North American food is somehow "safer" than European food? Such comments need to be backed up by the evidence, if there is any.

And I'll repeat: Saying that North American food - the land of Big Macs, cheeseburgers, corns dogs, grits and poutine - is better than EUROPEAN food is, quite possibly, the stupidest comment I've ever read on this forum (and that's saying something).

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Have you got any evidence for that?

Saying that North American food is better than European food is one of the stupidest things I've ever read in my entire life.
Blackleaf, when reading one needs to read the WHOLE paragraph/post in order to glean the meaning

first, set aside your auto-defense system and read again...

try harder and you will understand what I said

your reaction was foolish due to a knee jerk assumption about what I was saying

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Blackleaf, when reading one needs to read the WHOLE paragraph/post in order to glean the meaning

first, set aside your auto-defense system and read again...

try harder and you will understand what I said

your reaction was foolish due to a knee jerk assumption about what I was saying

I understand what YOU said.

You said that Yanks think their food is safer than European food.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I understand what YOU said.

You said that Yanks think their food is safer than European food.
well obviously no, you do not understand what I said

if I had said I believed it was the best food and then you challenged me, I would defend my stance...since I didn't, I don't have to since that is clearly not my belief in this instance

and just so you know...I feel no need to defend Canada's culinary exquisiteness I am comfortable enough with our food, it's flavour and our cooking abilities that I have zero need to put others down or extol it's virtues

it's pretty much a non issue for me

I do question our egg technique and this is not the first article I have read about Europe's superior handling of this product.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
What do Europeans for with their kool aid? Do they make into a sauce and drizzle over duck?

Why do you assume that Europeans have Kool-Aid (whatever that is)?

Canadians drink Kool-Aid with their poutine. The Italians drink red wine with their pasta (and that's freshly-made pasta, not microwave pasta as you get in North America). Go to Southern Europe and even young children drink a glass of red wine with every evening meal.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec

I don't know but umm mad cow comes to mind, very few cases here , hmmmm you know that might explain a few things about that kind of rambling hmmmm

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

I don't know but umm mad cow comes to mind, very few cases here , hmmmm you know that might explain a few things about that kind of rambling hmmmm

There was also that whole horse meat issue as well. Not that I personally think there's anything wrong with eating horse meat per se, but consumers should be adequately and properly informed of what they're purchasing and consuming.

The thing that I find truly ridiculous is why so many so waste time with constant criticism of each other to the point where they completely miss the crap in their own backyard.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
There was also that whole horse meat issue as well. Not that I personally think there's anything wrong with eating horse meat per se, but consumers should be adequately and properly informed of what they're purchasing and consuming.

The thing that I find truly ridiculous is why so many so waste time with constant criticism of each other to the point where they completely miss the crap in their own backyard.
umm maybe because we have more backyard?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
umm maybe because we have more backyard?

Size of the backyard doesn't seem to be a factor.

It's a mental block where some seem to equate 'different' with 'wrong', while it's not. It's just different. Lol.

Plus there are way more important things to argue over.