Calgary Stampede a gastro adventure for all tastes

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Calgary Stampede a gastro adventure for all tastes
Healthy eats and exotic treats on the menu this year
MARK VILLANI
First posted: Saturday, July 05, 2014 11:31 PM EDT | Updated: Saturday, July 05, 2014 11:51 PM EDT
Only the finest delicacies and cuisine make the cut at the Calgary Stampede.
This year is no different as it brings forth a combination of 32 all-new classic and stomach testing foods for anyone up to the challenge.
“It’s been a huge collaboration between the midway department and all of the food industries that come to us all over North America,” said James Radke, midway manager at the Calgary Stampede.
“We compare our ideas, figure out what is trending, and work our creative minds from there to develop some of these spectacular foods on the grounds.”
The Stampede will have 46 different operators on the midway this year with approximately 130 food booths.
Among the talk of the crowds this year will be scorpion pizza — a slice of pizza topped with baby scorpions.
“It started out as cricket pizza, then mealworm pizza and now as the idea progressed we have really outdone ourselves with this newest creation,” said Radke.
Not daring enough to stomach some of the creepy crawly delights? Not to worry at all. There is a variety of the traditional foods found on the grounds once again this year from everything on a stick to the traditional hamburger or hotdog.
The Calgary Stampede is certainly famous for their choice of fatty foods — however there are also a great number of healthy alternatives for those with allergies or dietary restrictions this year as well.
“There is something to satisfy your Stampede food cravings while avoiding sensitive allergies — each year, our vendors bring back mouth-watering meals, fresh salads, and other healthy options for you to try,” said Radke.
Calgary Stampede a gastro adventure for all tastes | CALGARY STAMPEDE | Eat | Li

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Well, if the scorpions were on little sticks on the pizza, then I could get behind it.

Really though, it was/is trending along the 'stick ' lines pretty good... Kinda purposeful as if to add to the overall gag

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Well, if the scorpions were on little sticks on the pizza, then I could get behind it.

Really though, it was/is trending along the 'stick ' lines pretty good... Kinda purposeful as if to add to the overall gag

Because then you have something to stab yourself with afterwards? Lol.

If the best that 'creative minds' can come up with is bugs on a pizza 8O, then I'm thinking perhaps they need some new creative minds. But that's just my opinion.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
What the are you guys on. Pizza goes in a cup with scorpions on sticks on top.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Remember 'Pet Rocks' and the many that spent money on them?

'Nuff said

I remember Pet Rocks. I also remember those Ch-ch-ch-chia Pets. (creepy little things)

Perhaps if people had consumed their Pet Rocks, we would not today have people who think scorpions make a good substitute for pepperoni?

What the are you guys on. Pizza goes in a cup with scorpions on sticks on top.

Ha! It's the "Cup 'O" that really adds a level of gastronomic class to it all. Lol.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I bought a duck dynasty willy chia the other day. His future? Let's just say a little black powder goes a long long way.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I thought that frozen food would be popular in Calgary right now.......:lol: