Old Recipe Search

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
For a few years now I've been hunting off and on for an recipe that my Mom used to make when I was in a kid in the 70's. It was for a cocktail appetizer, pickled shrimp and mushrooms. She would only make it on rare occasions and even she could no longer recall how she made it. I've googled and came up very empty, but I know if I saw the recipe I'd probably know whether it was the right one or not.

What I recall is tiny cocktail sized shrimp, button mushrooms, perhaps even tiny pearl onions, pickled with vinegar (possibly olive oil as well?) and spices (dill for sure, don't know about the rest but maybe some garlic?). I know when she made it, it had to be refrigerated for at least a couple of days. And she used to serve it on top of melba toast with cream cheese spread on it. It was remarkably delicious, that much I can recall but I probably would have only been about 9 or 10 the last time she made it.

By chance does it ring a bell with anyone else at all?

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
I thought we had a discussion of pickled shrimp aioli a few years ago here - or perhaps this was in another forum.

I'll check if you tube has a recipe ....

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
For a few years now I've been hunting off and on for an recipe that my Mom used to make when I was in a kid in the 70's. It was for a cocktail appetizer, pickled shrimp and mushrooms. She would only make it on rare occasions and even she could no longer recall how she made it. I've googled and came up very empty, but I know if I saw the recipe I'd probably know whether it was the right one or not.

What I recall is tiny cocktail sized shrimp, button mushrooms, perhaps even tiny pearl onions, pickled with vinegar (possibly olive oil as well?) and spices (dill for sure, don't know about the rest but maybe some garlic?). I know when she made it, it had to be refrigerated for at least a couple of days. And she used to serve it on top of melba toast with cream cheese spread on it. It was remarkably delicious, that much I can recall but I probably would have only been about 9 or 10 the last time she made it.

i'm generous. you can keep the pickles, onions, and mushrooms, etc. i'll have the shrimp. ;)

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007

maybe it was her own...or a friend's, it strange not to find it

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
maybe it was her own...or a friend's, it strange not to find it

Mom was a recipe swapper, so it could be a friend or a friend of a friend. But I find those recipes can often be found in some old country cookbook, and the internet is lousy with people posting their 'family recipes'. A lot of times if I don't find exactly what I'm looking for I can usually find something close, this time (at least with my usual haunts) I've come up dry.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
couldn't find pickled shrimp aioli in YT but found this:

[youtube]wmHHZgPQAiI[/youtube]

While her recipe is good, leaving it overnight suffices. I top mine with sour cream and pour some of the marinade over the cream to give it extra kick. I add Spanish olives, dice up anchovies, sprinkle it over everything, and that makes it grand!

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Mom was a recipe swapper, so it could be a friend or a friend of a friend. But I find those recipes can often be found in some old country cookbook, and the internet is lousy with people posting their 'family recipes'. A lot of times if I don't find exactly what I'm looking for I can usually find something close, this time (at least with my usual haunts) I've come up dry.
do you think the recipe has an ethnic slant?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
do you think the recipe has an ethnic slant?

It could very well. My mother was an adventurous cook when she was younger, in her later years not so much. Even she could not remember where she had gotten the recipe from originally, before she passed she and I would hunt around for it from time to time. This is not my first go round with hunting for this thing, lol. But I had a piece of melba toast at lunch the other day and it reminded me of it, so it occurred to me to try posting it here. Ya never know!

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
It could very well. My mother was an adventurous cook when she was younger, in her later years not so much. Even she could not remember where she had gotten the recipe from originally, before she passed she and I would hunt around for it from time to time. This is not my first go round with hunting for this thing, lol. But I had a piece of melba toast at lunch the other day and it reminded me of it, so it occurred to me to try posting it here. Ya never know!
good luck, it sounds delicious