Edible bugs touted as solution to world hunger

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Edible bugs touted as solution to world hunger
June 12, 2014
Darren Goldin of Next Millennium Farms says it won’t be long before current farming practices can no longer feed everyone on the planet and that’s why he’s betting his business future on edible bugs, such as waxworms, crickets and mealworms.
Edible bugs touted as solution to world hunger | CityNews

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I like bugs. Entry level farming. You can grow them in the basement. The fat white grubs are like shrimp only better. Most like seafood or nuts for taste, enjoyed the world over. You don't need big acreages to get started.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Takes very little grain to fatten up a grub. The grub is thirty-five percent more efficient than arctic char in the feed to meat ratio. Rheybcan be crushed and milled into a sandwhich spread that has remarkable shelf life.

Chicken meat is best produced by bug meal.

Bugs to chicken, a gastronomic transformation of signifigant market applicability. Southern fried bugs.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I like bugs. Entry level farming. You can grow them in the basement. The fat white grubs are like shrimp only better. Most like seafood or nuts for taste, enjoyed the world over. You don't need big acreages to get started.

I found they tasted like almonds.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
I see Canadas food guide omits bugs for some inexplicable reason.

I found they tasted like almonds.

Yes nutty fishy taste, very apitizing, very big business, you buy garbage and grow grubs, wait, you collect garbage for a fee and grow bugs for sale to a select clientle, we collect organic garbage and grow organic grubs, tweleve bucks a pound/gram, well' spend some money up front on telly comersials.

Windshield TM makers of fine bug butter spreads for over eighty years, wholesome goodness, also available in a squeeze bottle.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
A two kg chicken (deceased recently) will support about 3.5 kg of other consumable er materials, including large populations of microbial meat usually called slime, which is a good environment for bugs, and bugs grow faster than chickens, I think bugs boiled mashed or right out of the bag crisped dipped and swallowed mmmmmmmmmmmmmm can't wait for the commercial to get more. tHEY COULD REPLACE THE POTATOE.

THE TONS PER ACRE NUMBERS scream now before every farmer/corp is in there all I need is a few hundred million to launch

tommorow I will research bug beer

fermented cockroaches

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
I'll ship you a case of the first year.

seriously I wish I had four tons of bugs right now. I have hundreds of voracious chickens this summer. The bug markets are under supplied

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
There was a big time local bee ess artist/restaurateur who claimed he was going to put bugs on the menu-the Globe & Mail ran a pic of some of his employees holding a Chapatti that was apparently flavoured with vermin and the look on the one cook's face was priceless you could see she didn't even want to be in the same room as that 'dish'.

Anyway as I said it was all lying Bee Ess he later claimed de gubmint somehow interfered with his valiant trailbreaking efforts to bring bugs to town but nothing has been heard for some time now.

Chef hopes cricket cuisine will give customers something to chirp about

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
A couple of years ago my brother got me a little vodka lollipop with a real scorpion in it. I managed to suck all the lolly away from the scorpion so it was just the scorpion remaining and then I shoved it in my mouth and ate it. It was quite crunchy and chewy but it wasn't too bad.

You're not kidding - mosquitos, black flies, gnats are all over the place thanks to all the rain we've had. Ugh!

The great 19th century British eccentric William Buckland would have seen those creatures as tasty snacks.

Buckland (1784-1856) was a theologian who became Dean of Westminster. He was also a geologist and palaeontologist, writing the first full account of a fossil dinosaur, which he named Megalosaurus.

And he really was a great British eccentric. He preferred to do his field palaeontology and geological work wearing an academic gown. His lectures were notable for their dramatic delivery.

His passion for scientific observation and experiment extended to his home, where he had a table inlaid with fossilised dinosaur poo. The original table top is exhibited at the Lyme Regis Museum in Dorset.

The guy ate everything, although he particularly disliked mole and bluebottle. Panther, crocodile and mouse were also on his menu, according to dinner guests.

The raconteur Augustus Hare claimed that "Talk of strange relics led to mention of the heart of a French King preserved at Nuneham in a silver casket. Dr. Buckland, whilst looking at it, exclaimed, 'I have eaten many strange things, but have never eaten the heart of a king before', and, before anyone could hinder him, he had gobbled it up, and the precious relic was lost for ever." The heart in question is said to have been that of Louis XIV! Buckland was followed in this hobby by his son Frank.

The man who ate everything

Fraser Lewry
The Guardian
Monday 25 February 2008

Fraser Lewry doffs his cap to a Victorian food hero, a gentleman whose ambition it was to eat an example of every animal in existence

William Buckland in 1843. Graphic: public domain

Victorian Britain saw a number of innovations still popular today: the postage stamp, the vacuum cleaner and, most successfully, eccentricity. One fairly typical example was solicitor William Quilliam, known as the Sheikh of Britain, who built the county's first mosque and kept a pet jackal in his house. To the west, famed Cornish poet Robert Stephen Hawker lived in a hut made from driftwood, dressed as a mermaid, and excommunicated his cat (the poor moggy was prone to mousing on Sundays).

Then there was Major-General Charles George Gordon, a British army officer whose day-job saw him fight a series of bloody campaigns across the Middle East and Africa, yet was almost as notorious for believing that the Earth was encased in a hollow sphere and that the Garden of Eden was located in the sea somewhere off the coast of the Seychelles.

My favourite eccentric, however, was William Buckland, one of Victorian England's premier geologists and palaeontologists. Rather impressively, however, and more than a century before Jeffrey Steingarten came to prominence, he really was the man who ate everything.

Buckland was born in 1784, a year in which famine in Japan claimed 300,000 lives and a massive locust swarm hit South Africa. Coincidence? Of course, but it fits the theme of this blog post nicely, so I'm leaving it in. After winning a scholarship to Oxford in 1801, he became the first person to read geology at the university, before qualifying as a priest and then becoming a lecturer, a job that quickly garnered him a reputation as a somewhat unorthodox teacher:
He paced like a Franciscan preacher up and down behind a long showcase ... He had in his hand a huge hyena's skull. He suddenly dashed down the steps - rushed skull in hand at the first undergraduate on the front bench and shouted "What rules the world?" The youth, terrified, answered not a word. He rushed then on to me, pointing the hyena full in my face - "What rules the world?" "Haven't an idea", I said. "The stomach, sir!", he cried "rules the world. The great ones eat the less, the less the lesser still!"
Buckland's obsession with the animal kingdom knew no bounds. As President of the Royal Geographical Society he published the first scientific study of a dinosaur skeleton, while his role at the Society for the Acclimatization of Animals allowed him to import all sorts of creatures into the UK in order to study their suitability for the dinner table. Rather conveniently, this coincided with his lifelong personal ambition, which was to eat an example of every animal in existence, like some kind of crazed, bloodthirsty Noah.

No living creature was safe from Buckland's mania. Mice on toast were a regular feature of his no-doubt popular soirées, while other animals to guest at these events included the porpoise, puppy and panther ... and that's just the 'P's. Once, when visiting a cathedral, he was told of a local legend claiming that fresh saints' blood was to be found on the floor. Buckland, never one to turn down the opportunity to try a new flavour, licked the flagstones and was able to disprove the myth, immediately identifying the mystery liquid as bat urine.

Probably the most extraordinary of the great man's exploits came on a visit to Lord Harcourt, the Archbishop of York, at Nuneham Courtenay, just outside Oxford. Shown what was claimed to be the heart of Louis XIV, preserved in a silver casket (Harcourt was a collector of esoterica), Buckland immediately gobbled the fleshy artifact down, unable to resist the opportunity to chow down on the heart of a king.

The worst thing Buckland ever ate? Bluebottles, apparently. And mine? It's a tie: a decade ago I had a fish starter at Mezzo that haunts me to this very day, while an order of Wiener schnitzel at a shabby Moscow hotel in 2001 came on a bed of live maggots.

I left the table, but I like to think that Buckland would have got stuck right in.

The man who ate everything | Life and style | theguardian.com

Last edited: