Same sh*t different day

levanty

Electoral Member
Oct 17, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Is anyone else feeling like their cooking/eating habits are too repetitive? I have several signature dishes that my family loves but I'm sick and tired of serving up the same old things. I thought it might help to list our weekly menus here and give each other some new ideas.

Here goes;

Spagetti with meat sauce and home-made garlic bread.
Roast beef with mashed potatoes and gravy.
Chicken stir-fry.
Cantonese fried rice.
BBQ steaks and fries
Shepherds pie
Lasagna

Last edited by a moderator:

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Is anyone else feeling like their cooking/eating habits are too repetitive? I have several signature dishes that my family loves but I'm sick and tired of serving up the same old things. I thought it might help to list our weekly menus here and give each other some new ideas.

Here goes;

Chicken stir-fry.
Cantonese fried rice.
BBQ steaks and fries
Shepherds pie
Lasagna
Buy a slow cooker. I'm going to buy one today. Try Pulled Pork, try - everything. I bought a crappy roast for $7.47. I bought a cheap one on purpose to try out my pressure cooker. However, our son brought his slow cooker over and it's been sitting here for a couple of weeks. The other day, I browned that cheap roast in a fry pan and then moved it and the "drippings" into the crock pot. A few hours later (takes between 6 - 8 hours of slow cooking) I added potatoes, carrots and turnips. I cooked the roast in about a cup of beef broth by the way. That cheap roast was like eating filet mingnon! I poured the broth out into pan and made gravy with it. You cannot get the slow cooker hot enough to make gravy. The whole meal was fantastic and the cleanup was easy.
Lots of slow cooker (crock pot) recipes on line.

levanty

Electoral Member
Oct 17, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Buy a slow cooker. I'm going to buy one today. Try Pulled Pork, try - everything. I bought a crappy roast for $7.47. I bought a cheap one on purpose to try out my pressure cooker. However, our son brought his slow cooker over and it's been sitting here for a couple of weeks. The other day, I browned that cheap roast in a fry pan and then moved it and the "drippings" into the crock pot. A few hours later (takes between 6 - 8 hours of slow cooking) I added potatoes, carrots and turnips. I cooked the roast in about a cup of beef broth by the way. That cheap roast was like eating filet mingnon! I poured the broth out into pan and made gravy with it. You cannot get the slow cooker hot enough to make gravy. The whole meal was fantastic and the cleanup was easy.
Lots of slow cooker (crock pot) recipes on line.
Sounds good, thanks. Only one problem with a slow-cooker, you have to be home for hours. This is not an option during the week but I'll give your pulled pork a try some weekend. I have 2 slow-cookers (small and large) and have a couple of receipes you may like. Chicken pot pie is a sinch; Chicken parts, can of cream of chicken soup, milk, veggies (include potatoes) and seasonings to taste.
When the chicken is super tender pour into a lasagna pan, mix-up a batter of biscuits (Bisquick is fine) and drop spoonfuls onto the dish. Bake as directed (for biscuits to brown). If you like lentils, you couldn't get any easier; garlic, tomatoes, lentils, oregano, s&p.
Bon apetit!

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I use a slow cooker all the time, fire it up when I leave for work in the morning, deliciousness by 6pm when I get home. You would be surprised as to what you can cook in them. I regularly make curries, stews, chillis. whole chickens or basically anything I can fit in it.

levanty

Electoral Member
Oct 17, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
I use a slow cooker all the time, fire it up when I leave for work in the morning, deliciousness by 6pm when I get home. You would be surprised as to what you can cook in them. I regularly make curries, stews, chillis. whole chickens or basically anything I can fit in it.
Is this not a fire hazard? What if you don't make it home that evening? God forbid, an accident or something.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
We use the slow cooker when we're gone for the day, keep it on the kitchen island. I find the slow cooker overcooks the meat when left all day, and less than that doesn't cook the potatoes.

Swiss steak is a nice change, I also cook chicken breasts in a dijon mustard sauce, barbecued salmon steaks, tacos, shepherd's pie (technically cottage pie when made with beef, I'm told), pork chops cooked in beer and ketchup, lasagna, home made spaghetti and meat sauce, white fish in foil packets baked in the oven, there's lots of things to do.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Is this not a fire hazard? What if you don't make it home that evening? God forbid, an accident or something.

I've never had a problem, I set it at low heat though which I doubt could cause a fire unless left on for days on end.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

Many years of seeing people use a slow cooker that way, i've never seen one burn down a house. But, to be a little on the safe side, I put mind on my stove top so I don't risk damaging my counter should somthing bubble over or short out.

During the summer, I put it outside so it doesn't heat up the house. The garage is an option too in the winter if you have a detached heated garage.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
We use the slow cooker when we're gone for the day, keep it on the kitchen island. I find the slow cooker overcooks the meat when left all day, and less than that doesn't cook the potatoes.

Swiss steak is a nice change, I also cook chicken breasts in a dijon mustard sauce, barbecued salmon steaks, tacos, shepherd's pie (technically cottage pie when made with beef, I'm told), pork chops cooked in beer and ketchup, lasagna, home made spaghetti and meat sauce, white fish in foil packets baked in the oven, there's lots of things to do.

I usually put a bit of water in if I'm worried about the meat getting dry.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Sounds good, thanks. Only one problem with a slow-cooker, you have to be home for hours. This is not an option during the week but I'll give your pulled pork a try some weekend. I have 2 slow-cookers (small and large) and have a couple of receipes you may like. Chicken pot pie is a sinch; Chicken parts, can of cream of chicken soup, milk, veggies (include potatoes) and seasonings to taste.
When the chicken is super tender pour into a lasagna pan, mix-up a batter of biscuits (Bisquick is fine) and drop spoonfuls onto the dish. Bake as directed (for biscuits to brown). If you like lentils, you couldn't get any easier; garlic, tomatoes, lentils, oregano, s&p.
Bon apetit!
No - the whole idea of a slow cooker is to come home to a meal at the end of your work day. Leave things like potatoes whole and they can cook all day too.

When somebody comes up with a slow BBQ, I'll buy one.
Come on now Iggy. You know that all you have to do is pour the sauce onto the meat in the slow cooker and voila! more into the meat at meal time than on any BBQ.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Chicken stir-fry.
Cantonese fried rice.
BBQ steaks and fries
Shepherds pie
Lasagna

Wow! You and your family eat like royalty.

What you need is to add sea food to your usual food plan. Sea prawns, crab cakes, fried fish, cod and potato salad, and Boston/Manhattan chowder.

I also suggest you make your own home made soup. Beef, chicken, sea food bisque, etc.

All very good!

levanty

Electoral Member
Oct 17, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Wow! You and your family eat like royalty.

What you need is to add sea food to your usual food plan. Sea prawns, crab cakes, fried fish, cod and potato salad, and Boston/Manhattan chowder.

I also suggest you make your own home made soup. Beef, chicken, sea food bisque, etc.

All very good!
Thanks Gopher! We don't eat like that everyday. Those are some of the meals I prepare on the weekend so that we have lunches to bring to work. The soup sounds feasible in a slow-cooker and someone suggested. I'll try it for sure.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Get yourself a panini press. I bought one and I love it. You can make fajita's, grill cheese, reuben sandwiches. With the sandwiches you just add some soup on the side and that's a nice meal changer. When I was a kid my parents used to hit the deli and bring home an assortment of cold cuts, they'd put a loaf of rye down with different condiments and let us make our own.

As Durka said, the slow cooker is also a great piece of kitchen hardware. I've made soups, chili, stew, Hungarian Goulash.

Criminy, my stomachs growling..

levanty

Electoral Member
Oct 17, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Get yourself a panini press. I bought one and I love it. You can make fajita's, grill cheese, reuben sandwiches. With the sandwiches you just add some soup on the side and that's a nice meal changer. When I was a kid my parents used to hit the deli and bring home an assortment of cold cuts, they'd put a loaf of rye down with different condiments and let us make our own.

As Durka said, the slow cooker is also a great piece of kitchen hardware. I've made soups, chili, stew, Hungarian Goulash.

Criminy, my stomachs growling..
You're too funny. We're having a bake sale at the office today and the treats are set up right in front of my cubicle of all things! I must have gained 10 pounds just from smelling them! It's not quite lunch time yet and I have to admit, my tummy is hungry too! Thanks for the idea, I think I'll put it on my Christmas list.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

Here goes;

Chicken stir-fry.
Cantonese fried rice.
BBQ steaks and fries
Shepherds pie
Lasagna

No left-overs?