Brains differ in liberals, conservatives

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Brains differ in liberals, conservatives | News.com.au

EVERYONE knows that liberals and conservatives butt heads when it comes to world views, but scientists have now shown that their brains are actually built differently.Liberals have more grey matter in a part of the brain associated with understanding complexity, while the conservative brain is bigger in the section related to processing fear, said the study today in Current Biology.

"We found that greater liberalism was associated with increased grey matter volume in the anterior cingulate cortex, whereas greater conservatism was associated with increased volume of the right amygdala," the study said.

Other research has shown greater brain activity in those areas, according to which political views a person holds, but this is the first study to show a physical difference in size in the same regions.

"Previously, some psychological traits were known to be predictive of an individual's political orientation," said Ryota Kanai of the University College London, where the research took place. "Our study now links such personality traits with specific brain structure."

The study was based on 90 "healthy young adults" who reported their political views on a scale of one to five from very liberal to very conservative, then agreed to have their brains scanned.

People with a large amygdala are "more sensitive to disgust" and tend to "respond to threatening situations with more aggression than do liberals and are more sensitive to threatening facial expressions", the study said.

Liberals are linked to larger anterior cingulate cortexes, a region that "monitor(s) uncertainty and conflicts", it said.

"Thus, it is conceivable that individuals with a larger ACC have a higher capacity to tolerate uncertainty and conflicts, allowing them to accept more liberal views."

It remains unclear whether the structural differences cause the divergence in political views, or are the effect of them.

But the central issue in determining political views appears to revolve around fear and how it affects a person.

"Our findings are consistent with the proposal that political orientation is associated with psychological processes for managing fear and uncertainty," the study said.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Well there ya go.....

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
Great! Another article that tries to cheapen life by reducing the complexity of mankind to a pool of chemicals! "The biological explanation".

What about free will and free thought?

These things don't exist in a solely biological world.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I had to read that opening bit twice...

I automatically thought it said the Libs had more GAY matter and the Cons had more FEAR.

Doesn't say anything about the NDP..couldn't they find an NDP brain to study? :lol::lol:

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
Hmmm... based on the above, you must be a Conservative :lol:

Born and bred kind sir! :p

I automatically thought it said the Libs had more GAY matter and the Cons had more FEAR.

Doesn't say anything about the NDP..couldn't they find an NDP brain to study? :lol::lol:

LOL. That's rich man.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
What nonsense. We now have 'scientists' attributing everything from political leanings, sexual orientation, character.. to synapses and electrical activity in the ORGAN of the brain. We've lost all sense of the MIND, which is a discete istrument, in fact the governing facility of the brain.

But its not surprising. Once a society loses all sense of a supernatural archetype of human life.. all you've got left is cells and synapses and volts to explain anything.

Of course what is lost also is conscience, free will, any definitive moral architecture.. which is why our country is in such a confused mess, starting with the reduction to absurdity of its primary social unit of marriage.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Once a society loses all sense of a supernatural archetype of human life.. all you've got left is cells and synapses and volts to explain anything.

Of course what is lost also is conscience, free will, any definitive moral architecture..

A guy came up to me once, leading a mob of christian worshippers and said: "You know, we really have a problem with your hatred for Jesus!"

So, I said: "Then forgive me."

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
What nonsense. We now have 'scientists' attributing everything from political leanings, sexual orientation, character.. to synapses and electrical activity in the ORGAN of the brain. We've lost all sense of the MIND, which is a discete istrument, in fact the governing facility of the brain.

But its not surprising. Once a society loses all sense of a supernatural archetype of human life.. all you've got left is cells and synapses and volts to explain anything.

Of course what is lost also is conscience, free will, any definitive moral architecture.. which is why our country is in such a confused mess, starting with the reduction to absurdity of its primary social unit of marriage.

You had my agreement right up to the part about gay marriage....

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
The difference between the two brains is that the Libs brains are soaking in formaldehyde!!

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

Naw ... they're all in use

Agreed. Of course God has a sense of humor, how else do you explain farting?! ;)
Have you ever known an asshole who didn't have to say something?

A fart is buttcheeks applauding the passage of air....

That big one first thing in the morning is Butt saying "good morning" to Body.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

This was from an Australian News Site, I doubt they were talking about specific political parties..... they were noting people who lean closer to Liberal vs. Conservative values.... not political affiliation so to speak.

People complain about studies that explain differences between certain elements of life, such as our brains, or organs, or why we do the things we do.... and they always seem to want to keep things a mystery because it seems more magical and wonderful that way.

Sorry to say but the majority of humanity is geared towards seeking answers to the unknown, to understand the world around us and to figure out why we do the things we do (among many other things)

The above shows differences between the two brain types. It doesn't say one is worse then the other, just that there are differences. Now people are complaining and moaning about being educated about something they feel should be left a mystery.

If you don't like it, don't read it..... if you want to forget about it, go kill some brain cells with some vodka on the rocks until you can't remember your name. If you wish to remain ignorant, that's your priority..... but don't bitch & moan about learning something new.

If you don't want to learn anything new and don't want to understand more about the world around you, go lock yourself in a church for the rest of your life.... news and education don't often make it past the doors, so you should be safe there.