Bill C-32, copyright infringment or civil rights infringement?

What is your opinion?

• For

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Against

Votes: 10 90.9%

• Total voters

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
According to the new bill C-32 about to be enacted into law by the federal government it will become illegal in Canada to use peer to peer sharing websites anywhere in Canada no matter where they are hosted. The bill will also make it law for the ISP's to monitor and report any such use to the government. It will also become illegal to copy any material from one medium to another, IE: uploading a dvd to your ipod. These are complete invasions of privacy and another example of the government trying to reduce the rights of the people in favor of corporate and commercial entities.

What is your opinion?

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
Both Tony Celment and James Moore were former "progressive conservatives" (Red Tories / Mulronists / Mulroney)and they are the architects behind this bill.

note* that the old Reformed Party of Canada would never do anything like this. Just this week, Stockwell Day, John Cummins, and Chuckl Sthral (all 3 former Reformed) were all purged from Harper's party this week.

Harper is making it clear he's stabbing Western Canada in the back! I'm thinking Harper has gone insane at the moment. It was the Libetarian Reform; which supports internet neutrality, that was dominating the Canadian Right and now it's being purged by Harper... Gah!

Last edited:

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
No he wasn't, the progressive conservatives are a whole different breed from the Reformed and Harper was a member of Reformed.

Progressive Conservative was the party of John A. MacDonald and Brian Mulroney. I suppose the writing was on the wall, people were upset with the merge with the PC and now it's coming to full fruitation with Herr Harper pruging Reformed.

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
Close enough, don't tell me the Ontarian PC was different from the Federal One, they were essentially the same party.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Is anyone trying to fight against passing this bill?

So far the comittee has only heard from those on the side of passing the bill. They did invite the owner of 'ISO-HUNT' from Vancouver but he is currently involved in a litigation and will almost definitely not want to attend and speak as it could be used against him in court.

If we can get a substantial number of votes on here I will send it to my MP and the comittee. Please vote.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I'm curious? Which ones are even left?

NinjaVideo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The big ones in the states were all shut down and most were wise enough to move their servers to Iceland, Sweden, Japan and other countries which respect P2P rights.

That is part of the problem as I see it. Even those hosted in other countries will be banned here and the ISP's will be forced to report anyone accessing them to the government or create a block on them.

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
Most did assume that Canada would follow the states and were right in that regard.

I believe it's just Ignatieff who supports internet neutrality but others within the Liberals do not. So it seems like there's no way for Canadian youth to vote on this issue.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I hate seeing both sides ... still get the odd residuals cheque ... but like to hear my music free. Somehow, I thought "for personal use" - like they do on my downloadable anti-virus - meant legal.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I hate seeing both sides ... still get the odd residuals cheque ... but like to hear my music free. Somehow, I thought "for personal use" - like they do on my downloadable anti-virus - meant legal.

If the copyright owner of your AV wants to grant you free license or declare it open source then it is legal but they will have to provide a specific place for you to download it. They will no longer be able to allow it to go through a p2p site.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Torrents fit in all this?

Correct, since a torrent is considered p2p unless you are downloading directly from a commercial site owned or licensed by the copyright holder.

They have even tried to say they are generous to us peons though. There is a cap of $5000 in damages for each infraction of uploading or downloading on individuals. LOL

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
Live concerts and television appearances.

CDs are not always economical. The recording studio often gets a bigger cut than the musician themselves. Likewise, it costs 5 cents wholesale to import a CD from China, a computer program in the studio office copies the song onto the CD and 10 million CDs are marked up to $20 a piece and sold for 99.9% profit.

Pirating and P2P wasn't something which started in 2005 but went back to the 70s/80s when people; especially those under 30, saw it all as an extortion racket.

Itunes was revolutionary when it had sold song ownership for $1 a song but even then there were debates if it is even ethical to sell something like virtual ownership, the musician isn't playing the song (he could be banging a groupie on an airplane whilst you're listening to the song) .

It seems like the recording studios haven't won this debate. I can watch any song I want on YouTube and I am not committing a crime or anything.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
It seems like the recording studios haven't won this debate. I can watch any song I want on YouTube and I am not committing a crime or anything.

Under the new bill Youtube will be rquired to pay into a 'collective licensing fund' or it will be a crime for them to allow anything copyrighted on their site.
I still have not found out who will manage this fund or where the money in it will go.