Krauthammer Tells Inconvenient Truth About Egypt

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
Krauthammer Tells Inconvenient Truth About Egypt and Muslim Brotherhood Media are Ignoring
NewsBusters.org
February 12, 2011
Excerpt:
Most of the media were predictably jubilant and giddy on Friday when it was announced that Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak was stepping down.

Acting as the voice of reason was syndicated columnist Charles Krauthammer who on PBS's "Inside Washington" spoke some inconvenient truths about the Muslim Brotherhood and Egypt's similarities to pre-Islamic Revolution Iran that America's press have been dishonestly downplaying for weeks.

Most of the media were predictably jubilant and giddy on Friday when it was announced that Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak was stepping down.

Acting as the voice of reason was syndicated columnist Charles Krauthammer who on PBS's "Inside Washington" spoke some inconvenient truths about the Muslim Brotherhood and Egypt's similarities to pre-Islamic Revolution Iran that America's press.

Krauthammer Tells Inconvenient Truth About Egypt and Muslim Brotherhood Media are Ignoring | NewsBusters.org

THE MSM

Last edited:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
"No Christian, nor woman, should be President of Egypt"...

"One man, one vote, one time"...

Wise sentiments from someone who is obviously informed.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
There is a difference between allowing Egyptians the right to vote and supporting the Islamic Brotherhood.

I understand that the west does not like the Islamic Brotherhood; that's fair.
It is,however, not a justification for not allowing Egyptians to have elections. If the tables were turned, would Americans agree that Egyptians should decide who is qualified to run in US elections? I doubt it.

Nobody needs a big brother, the days of colonialism are long past.

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
Egypt's similarities to pre-Islamic Revolution Iran .

And that right there gives Krauthammer and people who believe him a notch down on the respectability scale. What will Egypt and Iran being two completely different nations, with two different languages, religions and styles of government.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
And that right there gives Krauthammer and people who believe him a notch down on the respectability scale. What will Egypt and Iran being two completely different nations, with two different languages, religions and styles of government.

You don't like Krauthammer...because he doesn't say what you want to hear...period!

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
You don't like Krauthammer...because he doesn't say what you want to hear...period!

I'm pretty sure it's the insane comparison of Egypt to Iran that I don't like. That's a pretty big obstacle for you to get around and try to say I just don't like him ... just cause.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Iran 30 years ago and Egypt last week are two completely different revolutions.

In Iran, the military cracked down on anti-government protesters brutally and repeatedly. They'd drive them under ground only for the movement to resurface, better armed and more extreme. The process took nearly two years, before protesters finally destroyed the Iranian military and security forces, forcing the dictator to flee. By the time the dust settled, the country was in a state of anarchy ruled by angry disorganized mobs. Religious Mullahs filled the power vacuum and seized power by default.

In Egypt, the military acted with restraint, only intervened to prevent violence and vandalism. After a couple weeks of mostly non-violent protests, the military was not only intact, they remained well organized, disciplined and also had popular support. Egypt never experienced a power vacuum. Now Egypt's military will oversee the transition to a democracy. We'll see if they allow a free democracy or play some sort of shell game and force the protesters to return to the streets. I expect the US will continue to play a positive role in the back ground, and I'm hopeful Egyptians will have free and fair elections.

If Egypt becomes a representative democracy, then the MB will play a role in a future government based on how well they do in the upcoming election, but they are hardly in control now and unlikely to gain absolute power in the future. The people behind this movement didn't risk their lives to replace one autocratic system with another.

What we are seeing now is shameful scare mongering by Israeli apologists who fear dealing with a free Egypt. They really don't care about freedom or justice when it comes to others. They'd rather that Egyptians remain oppressed and suffer human rights atrocities as long as they can pull the strings of a compliant dictator.

What these people don't realize, is that the status quo in Egypt was unsustainable. If the military cracked down on the Egyptian people as they wished, eventually the people would have won eventually after much death and destruction. But the military wouldn't be around to guide the transition process and there is a good chance the MB would fill the power vacuum, just the Mullahs did in Iran 30 years ago.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The inconvenient truth is Egyptians decide what Egyptians need, not Krauthammer.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Indeed.

And if that choice is inconenient to the west, so be it.

Well yeah....with the unfortunate side effect of a major war, rising oil prices, increasingly radicalized Islam in the east and the west, .....

Perhaps the west, if this fails, will finally realize that Islam and democracy are simply not compatible.................and look in their own back yard.

There is a silver lining in every cloud.

Oh, and next time, if Israel takes the Sinai, I suggest they annex it. Third strike, you're out.....literally.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Maybe they would be less radical if we didn't prop up dictators for the benefit of Israel.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Well yeah....with the unfortunate side effect of a major war, rising oil prices, increasingly radicalized Islam in the east and the west, .....

Perhaps the west, if this fails, will finally realize that Islam and democracy are simply not compatible.................and look in their own back yard.

There is a silver lining in every cloud.

Oh, and next time, if Israel takes the Sinai, I suggest they annex it. Third strike, you're out.....literally.

Put yourself in the place of a British aristocrat in the lat 1700s. What would you think about US independence?

You are looking at this from a personal point of view - oil prices, war, Islam. That's nice, but think about history.

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
I hope it all goes well for Egypt and its people. What I also hope is that other countries will mind their own business and let them handle their own affairs.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
pigeons are coming home to roost. If Egypt ends up with an Islamist Government, everyone can thank the united sl*ts of america. Obviously nothing was learned from the "shah".

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Maybe they would be less radical if we didn't prop up dictators for the benefit of Israel.

The main branch of radical Islam doesn't come from Egypt, or Iran, or Iraq, or Afghanistan.....but from Saudi Arabia.......exported and financially supported by the filthy rich oil oligarchy of that nation.

The founder of Wahhibism died 218 years ago.

Kinda shoots that argument to pieces.

Put yourself in the place of a British aristocrat in the lat 1700s. What would you think about US independence?

You are looking at this from a personal point of view - oil prices, war, Islam. That's nice, but think about history.

I am.

Modern Western democracy sprang from Christian respect for choice and the individual.

The rise of Islam is sundown for the liberal west, unless contained.

Islam and democracy are incompatible.....that is the point.

I sincerely hope the Egyptians elect a secular government............and if they create a liberal democracy in Egypt, then a short spike in oil prices would be a very small price to pay. Democracies rarely, if ever, go to war with each other. A sincerely secular liberal democracy in Egypt would stabilize the Middle East like little else could (with the possible exception of Iran sinking into the sea)

Unfortunately, I doubt that outcome is even in the cards.

it is wait and see time. Just playing Cassandra, that is all.....

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
From what I am hearing from the right on here, is that if the Muslim Brotherhood should somehow gain power war in the middle East is inevitable. The only thing inevitable is that the west will start another war if the MB gains power. The middle east has enough war going on because of our interference in their affairs. The only war mongering is coming from the west and its right wing nut jobs.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
From what I am hearing from the right on here, is that if the Muslim Brotherhood should somehow gain power war in the middle East is inevitable. The only thing inevitable is that the west will start another war if the MB gains power. The middle east has enough war going on because of our interference in their affairs. The only war mongers are the west and its right wing nut jobs.

uh huh. Read about the MB......lovely bunch!

Muslim Brotherhood

Like there was never upheaval in the ME before the Crusades, or in early modern history, or under the Ottoman Empire.

What crap!

Islam is a Religion of War, the Prophet was a war monger, Islam was spread throughout the Arab Peninsula by war and murder........

Try not to ignore reality quite so blatantly.........it is just too obvious.

Ezra Levant....

And let me congratulate myself for my exquisite hatred of Mubarak, a hatred that predates the current fad. I savour this moment of jubilation and vindication. And I will wait until tomorrow to contemplate my new emotion — a deep fear that, like the fall of Iran's shah in 1979, things are about to get far, far worse.

He says it very well.

http://ezralevant.com/2011/02/does-the-media-feel-good-then.html