Briddish Leader Admits Multiculturalism Has Failed Badly

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
If only we had someone with as much guts here in Canada.It's true the rot isn't as deep here but the smell of decay is everywhere.

David Cameron Mr Cameron will signal a tougher stance on groups promoting Islamist extremism

The prime minister will criticise "state multiculturalism" in his first speech on radicalisation and the causes of terrorism since being elected.

Addressing a security conference in Germany, David Cameron will argue the UK needs a stronger national identity to prevent people turning to extremism.

Different cultures are encouraged to live apart, and objectionable views met with "passive tolerance", he will say.

He will also signal a tougher stance on groups promoting Islamist extremism.

Mr Cameron is to suggest there will be greater scrutiny of some Muslim groups that get public money but do little to tackle extremism.

Ministers should refuse to share platforms or engage with such groups, which should be denied access to public funds and barred from spreading their message in universities and prisons, he will argue.

"Frankly, we need a lot less of the passive tolerance of recent years and much more active, muscular liberalism," the prime minister will say.

"Let's properly judge these organisations: Do they believe in universal human rights - including for women and people of other faiths? Do they believe in equality of all before the law? Do they believe in democracy and the right of people to elect their own government? Do they encourage integration or separatism?

"These are the sorts of questions we need to ask. Fail these tests and the presumption should be not to engage with organisations," he will add.

"We have even tolerated these segregated communities behaving in ways that run counter to our values”

BBC political correspondent Ben Wright said the prime minister would be delivering a stark message to his audience in Munich - that European countries must "wake up to what's happening within their borders".

Mr Cameron will draw a clear distinction between Islam the religion and what he describes as "Islamist extremism" - a political ideology he says attracts people who feel "rootless" within their own countries.

"We need to be clear: Islamist extremism and Islam are not the same thing."

The government is currently reviewing its policy to prevent violent extremism, known as Prevent, which is a key part of its wider counter-terrorism strategy.

The short speech will make it clear that Mr Cameron wants a stronger sense of citizenship and national belonging to replace an approach he thinks has failed, added our correspondent.

'I am a Londoner too'

A genuinely liberal country "believes in certain values and actively promotes them," Mr Cameron will say.

"Freedom of speech. Freedom of worship. Democracy. The rule of law. Equal rights, regardless of race, sex or sexuality.

"It says to its citizens: This is what defines us as a society. To belong here is to believe these things.

"Each of us in our own countries must be unambiguous and hard-nosed about this defence of our liberty."

He will say that under the "doctrine of state multiculturalism", different cultures have been encouraged to live separate lives.

"We have failed to provide a vision of society to which they feel they want to belong. We have even tolerated these segregated communities behaving in ways that run counter to our values."

Building a stronger sense of national and local identity holds "the key to achieving true cohesion" by allowing people to say "I am a Muslim, I am a Hindu, I am a Christian, but I am a Londoner... too", he will say.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I agree that a common culture is needed, though not necessarily at the expense of other cultures.

However, I believe the British experience does not necessarily apply to Canada on the grounds that whereas English culture is in fact indigenous to England, it is not indigenous to Canada. So applying the same principle to Canada would mean we ought to make efforts to promote the local indigenous culture as the common culture. I doubt many would be too interested in implementing a common cultural policy then.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Compared to most countries we do spread our native culture to the people who live here... Take Mexico which has more native looking people than non native looking people, they cant compare to the way we treat our aboriginals. (Even if its not that great, but still decent)....

You wanna see oppresion and racism come work with me in the mexico

Last edited:

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Compared to most countries we do spread our native culture to the people who live here... Take Mexico which has more native looking people than non native looking people, they cant compare to the way we treat our aboriginals. (Even if its not that great, but still decent)....

You wanna see oppresion and racism come work with me in the mexico
For some going by the handle of Barilko you'd think spelling British would be a snap.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Funny how it always seems to take the high priced help so long to figure out what the rest of us have always known. While it is all fine and cool to know where you came from we cannot promote a Canadian identity when all the immigrants hang on to their culture and language. They must be encouraged to be Canadians by choice, not canadians of convenience.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Funny how it always seems to take the high priced help so long to figure out what the rest of us have always known. While it is all fine and cool to know where you came from we cannot promote a Canadian identity when all the immigrants hang on to their culture and language. They must be encouraged to be Canadians by choice, not canadians of convenience.

As mentioned above, it only takes a cursory look at history to see we are more culturally united today than we've ever been in our history. For crying out loud, as late as the 1920s some people still had to learn Wawa in parts of BC as their second language since it was still used in some industries! And that's on top of the Quebec situation and people in northern communities who still can't speak English today.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
As mentioned above, it only takes a cursory look at history to see we are more culturally united today than we've ever been in our history. For crying out loud, as late as the 1920s some people still had to learn Wawa in parts of BC as their second language since it was still used in some industries! And that's on top of the Quebec situation and people in northern communities who still can't speak English today.

There are a lot of second generation asians in Vancouver that can't speak English and don't care. Mostly they just take advantage of our free social system. Parts of Vancouver even have street signs in Chinese and parts of Richmond are Asia West.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
There are a lot of second generation asians in Vancouver that can't speak English and don't care. Mostly they just take advantage of our free social system. Parts of Vancouver even have street signs in Chinese and parts of Richmond are Asia West.

Oh don't get me wrong here. I do agree that they should be required to learn a common language for obvious reasons. What irritates me though is how it's argued. It's not usually argued that they ought to learn a common language to integrate, but rather to preserve our tradition, without realizing the two are diametrically opposed since our tradition in North America is in fact multiple cultural regions speaking different languages. So yes, I do agree they ought to integrate to a common culture. Let's not pretend though that that culture is a traditional one. The idea of Canadian cultural unity, though desirable, ought to be thought of as a futuristic hope, not a historical fact that it never was.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Oh don't get me wrong here. I do agree that they should be required to learn a common language for obvious reasons. What irritates me though is how it's argued. It's not usually argued that they ought to learn a common language to integrate, but rather to preserve our tradition, without realizing the two are diametrically opposed since our tradition in North America is in fact multiple cultural regions speaking different languages. So yes, I do agree they ought to integrate to a common culture. Let's not pretend though that that culture is a traditional one. The idea of Canadian cultural unity, though desirable, ought to be thought of as a futuristic hope, not a historical fact that it never was.

In the United States the reason given is just what you commented about "they ought to learn a common language to integrate" in would and does speed up assimilation, but at the cost of losing ones ethnic identity over time. Very well put, I agree with it all, even for the U.S..

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
In the United States the reason given is just what you commented about "they ought to learn a common language to integrate" in would and does speed up assimilation, but at the cost of losing ones ethnic identity over time. Very well put, I agree with it all, even for the U.S..

I do distinguish between assimilation and integration and do not use them interchangeably. For me, integration means learning the common language and culture and maintainig it as one's second language or culture, whereas asimilation means replacing ones first language and culture. Not at all the same thing.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
The only thing ive ever seen that was native in america, was the lady selling apache sweet bread outside beside the gas station in new mexico.

Heck, most americans dont even know what a metis is... ask them manitobans

Immigrants come to this country to be like me

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
"state multiculturalism"

A failure? Well, Proponents of Irish, Welsh, and Scottish independence will agree that the Brits should all go home so he may have a point there.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
"state multiculturalism"

A failure? Well, Proponents of Irish, Welsh, and Scottish independence will agree that the Brits should all go home so he may have a point there.

But in England, there are two very valid reason to require them all to learn English:

1. It makes sense to have a common language, and
2. English is the indigenous language of that country.

As for Ireland, Wales and Scotland, yes I agree that it woudl make sense for them to promote their own languages instead.

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
Camoron is just pulling a page from the Neoconservative book,
Sarkozy and Merkel have said the exact same thing years ago but neither have reduced or eliminate immigration.

Might explain why the next generation of right wing voters are losing interest in neo conservative parties and are looking into alternatives, such as the EDL and FPÖ

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
''English is the indigenous language of that country.''

The Cornish consider themselves Celt and have their own language. Well, some of them anyways.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
did they speak english before the romans arrived? Negative ghost rider

The romans brought latin and the people evoled their culture into the unique culture they have now. Kinda like whats happening in the western hemisphere now...

Thats the only way to compare canada and britian multiculturism